Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Fiberglass Baja Kit?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkwfxd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Best Fiberglass Baja Kit? Reply with quote

Is there a consensus on who currently produces the best 7 piece, wide-eye fiberglass baja bug kit?

This is going onto a 64 that has both front and rear damage if the year matters.

By "best" I am referring to thick, strong, well molded pieces.

Not ultra thin light weight race items.

Thank you
mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Fiberglass Baja Kit? Reply with quote

Mark V would be my vote. I have not used the kit myself, but I've heard good things about them.

http://markvfiberglass.com/

Use your mouse to hover over Product Catalog and you'll get a dropdown menu.

Pit Boy 6163 Spec Trophy Truck
rkwfxd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Fiberglass Baja Kit? Reply with quote

Thank you. Those look pretty solid and it is nice that you get to pick you hood.

Anyone on here actually use one of these kits?
bullnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Fiberglass Baja Kit? Reply with quote

I think this guy used them, I just asked, LOL.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661164
skidmarksgarage.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Fiberglass Baja Kit? Reply with quote

bullnerd wrote:

Yeah, I got the hand laid kit from them and I build my own plugs, molds and parts for many things but this was just much easier and faster than doing it myself, as a side note the reason that I can and do my own glass parts is because of a purchase from Glass Action many years ago that was so poorly done that I had to re-work everything that I didn't send back ( and never got a refund on ) so I learned to do my own. David at Creative car craft makes some of the finest fiberglass that I have ever seen but does not have a Baja kit at this time, he offered to me to come up with the plugs and he would make the molds and parts but just too much time involved for me so I say the Mark IV stuff is the only way to fly for what I have seen out there and highly recommend the hand laid option............
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Fiberglass Baja Kit? Reply with quote

X3... I have used them for years in Racing and recreational builds. They are the Best no doubt in my mind.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rkwfxd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Best Fiberglass Baja Kit? Reply with quote

skidmarksgarage.com wrote:
bullnerd wrote:

Yeah, I got the hand laid kit from them and I build my own plugs, molds and parts for many things but this was just much easier and faster than doing it myself, as a side note the reason that I can and do my own glass parts is because of a purchase from Glass Action many years ago that was so poorly done that I had to re-work everything that I didn't send back ( and never got a refund on ) so I learned to do my own. David at Creative car craft makes some of the finest fiberglass that I have ever seen but does not have a Baja kit at this time, he offered to me to come up with the plugs and he would make the molds and parts but just too much time involved for me so I say the Mark IV stuff is the only way to fly for what I have seen out there and highly recommend the hand laid option............

Well that makes perfect sense. I was checking out your build yesterday, looking for which kit you used but did not see it so I posted up my question.

Thank you everyone.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Best Fiberglass Baja Kit? Reply with quote

The fiberglass on my car is from Mark V from when their shop was 3/4 mile from my home.

So was this older body kit.

Neither was perfect fitting, but better than some pieces costing 10X as much for road race Porsches I've worked on.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: