Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hockey Stick stuck
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrycrackerdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Hockey Stick stuck Reply with quote

Hello
now before I ask, i am going to admit being a little dumb and not checking for movement before i barged ahead with fitting my new transmission.

I purchased a rancho swing axle street transmission and had to change the nosecone for a bus one to fit my 59 ghia chassis, with a bit of pushing an pulling it slid in just fine, i got excited and carried on fitting up everything else on a fresh build one month later I went to fit my new berg shifter and quickly found the hockey lacked any movement (very slight back and forth in car) but obviously not selecting gears Sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have never had to fit a nosecone before so it seemed straight forward enough but what have I done wrong ?

Before I have to pull out the transmission is there anything i can do to rectify issue ? I had read about pushing fork selectors through oil fill hole ?

any advice greatly appreciated thanks
Paul.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockey Stick stuck Reply with quote

Did you use the bus hockey stick or a type 1?

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
harrycrackerdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockey Stick stuck Reply with quote

Rancho sent the bus cone with a stick so I used that one but they knew what it was for.

The dimple seems in the correct place

Honestly I do not know the difference

Thanks
Paul
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockey Stick stuck Reply with quote

It would look different than the other one you got. It should have a bent leg to the tip.
harrycrackerdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hockey Stick stuck Reply with quote

Ok I can only assume right now it's the bus stick as it came with it from Rancho
What stick did I need ?
If the bus stick is correct and it won't move do I still need to pull the transmission ?

Thanks
Paul
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hockey Stick stuck Reply with quote

Take it back off and make sure no gear is selected and put the hockey stick between the fingers. I usually move it back and forth while tightening. An OCD thing I guess.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hockey Stick stuck Reply with quote

It is possible to have a gear pulled and have the hockey stick in a position to pull some other gear. Before you do anything, take the gear oil filler plug out of the side of the case and see if you can move the 1/2 slider back in the neutral position. (You may have first or second gear engaged and the hockey stick in the 3/4 shift rod.)

This will save having to do considerable work.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockey Stick stuck Reply with quote

That urethane coupler probably wont last long either. Mine broke before it even got back on the road. Ill never use urethane again. Everything urethane Ive tried fails super quick.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockey Stick stuck Reply with quote

If you have solid mounts, you don't need any cushioned mount at all. I use machined aluminum blocks in place of the rubber in a stock coupler.

ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockey Stick stuck Reply with quote

You need to take the nose cone back off and make sure your not stuck between gears. Line up the levers so the trans. is in neutrel. Then reinstall the nosecone. Jeff
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockey Stick stuck Reply with quote

If it is in 1st or 2nd and the hockey stick is in 3rd and 4th, you can put it in neutral via the filler plug in like 10 seconds.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockey Stick stuck Reply with quote

especially with body off.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockey Stick stuck Reply with quote

yeah, if you can see what your doing, maybe 5 seconds.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
bigfuninc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockey Stick stuck Reply with quote

How do you get into neutral thru fill hole?
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hockey Stick stuck Reply with quote

For reference from hazetguy.
Here's the way that the shifter forks should look when in neutral. The slots for the hockey stick are all in line.
If they are not in line, then the transmission is shifted in to a gear.
Even though it's a splitcase tranny in the pic,
tunnel types will still have the slot for the hockey stick in line when in neutral.

For reference from hazetguy.

Transmission shift forks in "neutral" position. All 3 slots are in line and the same height.

When installing a nosecone on the tranny, make sure the shift rod moves smoothly in the nosecone bushings with no binding or tight spots.
Lower the shift rod out of the bottom of the nosecone to engage the shift forks on the transmission.
Also make sure the tranny is in "neutral", and that the end of the shift rod engages the forks while lowering the nosecone onto the transmission.

When installing a nosecone on the tranny, make sure the shift rod moves smoothly in the nosecone bushings with no binding or tight spots.
Also make sure the tranny is in "neutral" (as seen in pic), and that the end of the shift rod engages the forks while lowering the nosecone onto the transmission.
(Note, this is a demonstration photo, with no gasket installed)
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: