Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Low Mileage Claims
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Mileage Claims Reply with quote

I enjoy picking apart someone's AKA barn find.
Granted there are some true barn finds, but only on American Pickers.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Mileage Claims Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
I don't get it. For one, I am very proud that all my vehicles have at least OVER 100,000 miles if not 200,000!!! Laughing

Amen,
I loved buying my 71 Ghia with a verified 75K miles on it.
I got it from the 2nd owner who had it since 73, so I was able to verify it.

14 years later, I am rolling up on 220K miles.

I brag about how it has been the cheapest $ per mile in maintenance vehicle I have ever owned.

Everything else broke less often, but cost $$$ each time. Whereas, the Ghia rocked along, and has only stranded me once during that time. Even then, it was a $20 fix (fuel pump)

Rob
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Mileage Claims Reply with quote

I don't think rust is the main reason modern vehicles reach the end of their lives.

In my opinion the current Electricals (Harness, Switches, Sensors, CPU's etc) are the main culprit of taking vehicles of the road.

By coincidence I am sending to the dumpster a vehicle this week (a 94' Toyota Camry).
Mechanical is excellent, engine runs strong and has 300k Km on the clock, doesn't burn any oil, AC with the original gas is icy cold, no rust, perfect suspension etc however the main harness is completely rotten and shorting in several locations.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Low Mileage Claims Reply with quote

novetti wrote:
I don't think rust is the main reason modern vehicles reach the end of their lives.

In my opinion the current Electricals (Harness, Switches, Sensors, CPU's etc) are the main culprit of taking vehicles of the road.

By coincidence I am sending to the dumpster a vehicle this week (a 94' Toyota Camry).
Mechanical is excellent, engine runs strong and has 300k Km on the clock, doesn't burn any oil, AC with the original gas is icy cold, no rust, perfect suspension etc however the main harness is completely rotten and shorting in several locations.

Sofaking true! I had an '83 Itsabichy Tredia that kept frying tail light bulbs AND had other electrical issues that kept popping up every time I wash the damn thing! Evil or Very Mad

So, first I quit washing it, just clean the windows and that was that! The bulbs kept blowing out so one day I tried to find the source of the problem by tracing the taillight wires from the back forward. As the wiring loom kept getting bigger and at every connecting plug, the forkin wire would change colors!?!?! Shocked

Anyway, after FOUR hours and ending up at the steering column with a million other wires, I just cut it there and ran a single wire that would run from the coil all the way around the car to light up the running lights! Twisted Evil

Was I ever glad to find a sucker that gave me some $700 for that POS! Rolling Eyes
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Mileage Claims Reply with quote

My 87 Toyota pickup has just under 260K and still ticking. That truck has worked so hard for me it owes me absolutely nothing.

I just bought a 91 Chevy Scottsdale with an honest 48K miles. Looks like shit cuz of Chevy's paint issues, but it is like driving a new truck.

My wife has an 08 Toyota Matrix with a verified 90K miles. Bought from the original owner so it was easy to verify. Looking to get 200K out of that one.

Pretty easy to shoot low mileage claims full of holes. Just takes a keen eye for details.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Low Mileage Claims Reply with quote

What's even more amusing is when a potential buyer looks at a clapped out vehicle that I'm selling & they actually want to believe that it's only got 60,000 on it. I just tell them that it's a 5 digit odometer & that it could have rolled over 2-3 times.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Low Mileage Claims Reply with quote

Many years ago I knew an old guy named Rex. Rex sold VWs, his business model was simple, Earl Schieb paint job, tire dressing ,wash the engine. Always said engines were rebuilt and when questioned on that said " of course it's been rebuilt all VWs get rebuilt don't they" Needless to say Rex sold a bunch of cars. People aren't all that different from raccoons in that they are drawn to shiny things.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Low Mileage Claims Reply with quote

I forgot to mention something. My first type 2 purchase, sometime around 1990, was a 1965 single cab with 19,000 miles. It was real obvious that the mileage was true.
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Low Mileage Claims Reply with quote

I have a '62 Beetle that has a genuine 47,000 original miles and has been garaged its entire life and is in beautiful shape. And I don't enjoy driving it because of extreme paranoia that something might happen to it! On the other hand my restored '74 bus is also very nice, but I love driving it. It has travelled close to 300,000 km now with multiple adventures. If something happens to it, it can be fixed up again without freaking out. My last daily driver (a Civic) had 351,000 on it when bought, and is now being passed onto my kid at 381,000. As it is now too nice for a winter beater, an Acura will be the new winter machine. At 402,000 it is just nicely broken in... And before you ask, the kid won't be daily driving a vintage VW for some time yet... Give me the cheap high-milers any day... Incidentally the kid's Civic features the elaborate sound system from my sister's old Jetta. That car made 700,000 before the transmission grenaded. I would have fixed it and rolled it if it wasn't rusting out... Sorry for the off-topic drifting. I do like laughing at so many VWs of sewage quality that are advertised as low mileage.
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: