Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poptop Cracks around Strut
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hjhancock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Poptop Cracks around Strut Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with fractures in the poptop at the location where the forward poptop struts meet the fiberglass roof? We can see daylight through the roof which is unsettling.

I imagine there is a lot of stress on this location when popping the roof up so I wouldn't think spot repairing or filling it with temporary silicone caulking isn't going to keep the cracking from getting worse. Any help or suggestions about what to do would be much appreciated!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Cracks around Strut Reply with quote

Wow, that's unfortunate. I've never seen that happen; is your tent really, really tight? Either way, I would think you'll need to repair with glass and epoxy, not any kind of caulking. I'd suggest the braided fiberglass roving and a serious epoxy like West Systems designed for laminating. You can clean a spot on the inside (remove the flocking and rough sand) and laminate a couple of layers of roving. You can use thickened epoxy to patch the cracks and fill voids on the topside after the inside repair (if the tent tightness is the problem doing an inside repair will make that worse).

Or, you could machine backing plates to span the cracked areas. Sealed with 3M 5200 polysulfide sealant they'll be there forever and not leak (use the slow cure, not fast - it will take 3-5 days to harden).

Probably other ways too.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Cracks around Strut Reply with quote

I could be wrong but neither the part nor the interior surface look original to me raising the possibility of prior damage and repair. That is not a failure that I have previously seen in normal use.

What does the top side look like? Any evidence of prior work?

I agree it will require strength which means removal of material in the area - that may reveal the nature of the problem and suggest the extent and form of the repair.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Cracks around Strut Reply with quote

The roof is fiberglass, so it can be repaired. The hard part is doing it so that you can’t tell it’s been patched.

You might have a cleaner look if you sandwiched the roof with some aluminum flat stock. It could help spread the load and have a more finished look. You could use a bonding type sealer to adhere the aluminum and prevent moisture from leaking in.

Otherwise it’s a lot of grinding, patching, and finishing. I’m sure you could find some you tube videos on patching fiberglass.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Cracks around Strut Reply with quote

For some of the very best advice rely on West Systems. Much of the advice is free. This is one are where short cuts and shoddy work both look bad and fail quickly. Epoxy is one part of a composite structural assembly where the end strength is greater than the sum of the components.

https://www.epoxyworks.com/ a high quality magazine, both print and pdf
is.gd/12R2Tz Link to a free catalog / basic manual
is.gd/LCUjNB lastly is a link to their YouTube channel.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Cracks around Strut Reply with quote

Is there a rack on the roof?

If so what do you carry or I wonder what the PO carried.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Cracks around Strut Reply with quote

Being in the boat repair business I see stuff like this all the time,
my fix would be

grind out both inside and outside surfaces clean, use west system and some chopped strand to try to repair it,sand in flat on both inside and out.
then
purchase some small scraps of

gpo-3 material 1/4 inch

its pre-made fiberglass sheet,
cut backing plates that are at least 1/2 wider and longer then the metal bracket, laminate it on the inside and redrill the holes, its now far stronger ten it was before
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Poptop Cracks around Strut Reply with quote

I had damage where the lift bar was torn right through the top on one side.
Here is what I did.

I bought this thin sheet of stainless from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQL2LY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut it into two small rectangles and epoxied them inside the top. I used the West Marine fiberglass repair kit on the outside.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: