Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve ajustment and THIS happens!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joemo5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

I was doing a regular valve adjustment (first on this car) and #1 and #2 went smoothly. But when I got to #3 the nut broke right off.

What are my options at this point? Do I just buy a new rocker arm and bolt it right on?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

Not if you can take out the adjuster , just unscrew it and replace it with another , if you cant take it out then u will have to replace arm ..
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

Take the rocker assembly off and try to get the broken adjuster out. If you can't, you can replace just the one adjuster.

Cast Iron and Aluminum distributors rebuilt since 2000.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

Shocked are those elephants feet adjuster screws? I see a allen socket on the end-?

Those might have a torque spec for the adjuster nuts as that allen looks like it goes into the screw pretty far.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!

Last edited by williamM on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

Hi brother.
Looks as if you have a non-stock parts on that rocker arm assembly. You will have to remove the assembly and verify the style of adjuster you have. If it is one of the "elephant feet" style there are a few suppliers around for them.
If you have the time and the money for it look at this member's ability to support what you need:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=129704

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2010724

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1925154

Depending on what's inside the engine, cam wise/etc, you might be able to just revert back to stock rockerarm assy til you decide what you want.
Hope this helps, Bill.
tommiebsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

Looks like that is a BERG setup solid shaft with 1.1's and elephant adjusters.

take the rocker assembly out.. and broken one should come out easy..

replace with a new rocker.. You may call BERG and see if they have a replacement..
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

This is common when the lock nut is over-tightened. I have even sheared off my share of them before I learned.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

tommiebsmith wrote:
Looks like that is a BERG setup s

yep, hex adjsuters, the steel center spacer, head nuts on holding it on. BERG

Stock rockers are not rare AT ALL, so any vw nut will probably give you one for free. I would. but a new swiel adjuster is not free. I think ACN sells singles of the porsche ones, and they should be comparable
joemo5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

I called Gene Berg ENT today and they are going to hook me up. Thanks everybody for the response
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

I guess you could just adjust it and tack weld it! Or clean it up good and JB weld it.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

SamT wrote:
I guess you could just adjust it and tack weld it! Or clean it up good and JB weld it.

Liar Liar Shame on you Shame on you Anxious Brick wall Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn
"I'm only trying to help" "There--aint dat better"

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

SamT wrote:
Hey ROCK CRUSHER IS OUT!!!!AND HAS A NEW NAME!!! Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink the jb kid for sure.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
SamT wrote:
Hey ROCK CRUSHER IS OUT!!!!AND HAS A NEW NAME!!! Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink the jb kid for sure.

Damn haven't heard his name in a while. He is from our coast Mark. Pennsyltucky!
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

Out of ...jail? Something about self-exposure to the outdoors. Laughing

The Berg swivels have been terrible of late. I have bought several sets before and used them all without issues. Then these newer units had issues w/ the tails coming off like that. They are too brittle -IMO. maybe someone needs to adjust the heat-treating or annealing one of them.

Only option that lasts some time is the Porsche units. Not cheap but absolutely the best.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
SamT wrote:

He still owes me $1,100.00.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

I had some elephant feet adjusters on a type IV, not sure of the supplier, but they were of a poor material choice, the ball end of the screw punched its way thru the foot pad on several of them. soft weak foot pad is my guess. went back to regular adjuters after that. Total junk.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

Embarassed I bought some T4 heads and the valve stems on some were hollowed out- I think that happens when the valve sticks or floats and the ball rotates off the flat spot and runs on the round bit.-- way prefer elephants feet.

Don't step in any!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
I had some elephant feet adjusters on a type IV, not sure of the supplier, but they were of a poor material choice, the ball end of the screw punched its way thru the foot pad on several of them. soft weak foot pad is my guess. went back to regular adjuters after that. Total junk.

good luck

And.....this is why we spend those stupid prices on the OEM Porsche swivel feet. Wink
Ray
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

I bought a set or Porsche not long ago - $275 for 8
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

I can sell anyone here genuine Porsche adjusters for $220 shipped, and 10mm tool steel Elephant Bus adjusters for $97 shipped.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: