Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve ajustment and THIS happens!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

Yeah I give all of my rockers assembly a good lashing of gear oil... Not sure why, but seeing no ill effects.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

You have to make sure it's cleaned and oiled, but....how? Can't take it apart, clearances are too tight to pour oil through it, so you have to soak it or something. In a hurry I heat them up in oil and let the oil pull itself in as it cools.

We are assuming whatever oil is on them is just rust protector, and I don't know if it is, but better safe than sorry. ANd IMO, use gear oil.
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

What does the oil soak accomplish?
207-242-0016
www.beardfiremetalworks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Out of ...jail? Something about self-exposure to the outdoors. Laughing

The Berg swivels have been terrible of late. I have bought several sets before and used them all without issues. Then these newer units had issues w/ the tails coming off like that. They are too brittle -IMO. maybe someone needs to adjust the heat-treating or annealing one of them.

Only option that lasts some time is the Porsche units. Not cheap but absolutely the best.

My Berg swivels have a slotted end. Empi (junk) have the Allen head ends and cost 1/2 as much as Bergs. Yes, I cried twice (empi junk broke) and went with Bergs. You're supposed to presoak the Berg adjusters in motor oil (for 24hrs or something like that) before installation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I've been using these on my last few builds, and been very happy with them-

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1518.htm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Call me old school, but I like the flathead slot better than the allen adjustment.

I agree.....and for the record...Virtually none of the "OEM quality" swivel feet adjusters have the Allen wrench adjuster feature.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=911-70-73&section=103-15

Scroll down on that link diagram and click on the part # for #49 and it will bring up three part #'s and Prices...from about $37 each for actual parts from the Porsche dealer...and about $25 for the same part from Mahle which was an OEM supplier of this part and one for about $20 that just lists OEM which is also Mahle or Mahle/Weizman.

There are more than a handful out there of swivel feet....but the OEM build design and construction/material quality are just so much better than anything out there...that if you use swivel feet and need swivel feet and have serious $ and care and time invested in your engine...its just not worth using the cheaper alternatives.

The material and construction quality and design difference is that big. The closest to it are the original Ford/Mazda swivel screws...OEM not knock-offs...and they do not do as well on type 4 but work well with type 1 rockers in stockish cam lift range. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

I've been using these on my last few builds, and been very happy with them-

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1518.htm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Call me old school, but I like the flathead slot better than the allen adjustment.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

I can sell anyone here genuine Porsche adjusters for $220 shipped, and 10mm tool steel Elephant Bus adjusters for $97 shipped.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

I bought a set or Porsche not long ago - $275 for 8
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
I had some elephant feet adjusters on a type IV, not sure of the supplier, but they were of a poor material choice, the ball end of the screw punched its way thru the foot pad on several of them. soft weak foot pad is my guess. went back to regular adjuters after that. Total junk.

good luck

And.....this is why we spend those stupid prices on the OEM Porsche swivel feet. Wink
Ray
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

Embarassed I bought some T4 heads and the valve stems on some were hollowed out- I think that happens when the valve sticks or floats and the ball rotates off the flat spot and runs on the round bit.-- way prefer elephants feet.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

I had some elephant feet adjusters on a type IV, not sure of the supplier, but they were of a poor material choice, the ball end of the screw punched its way thru the foot pad on several of them. soft weak foot pad is my guess. went back to regular adjuters after that. Total junk.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
SamT wrote:
I guess you could just adjust it and tack weld it! Or clean it up good and JB weld it.
Hey ROCK CRUSHER IS OUT!!!!AND HAS A NEW NAME!!! Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink the jb kid for sure.

He still owes me $1,100.00.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

Out of ...jail? Something about self-exposure to the outdoors. Laughing

The Berg swivels have been terrible of late. I have bought several sets before and used them all without issues. Then these newer units had issues w/ the tails coming off like that. They are too brittle -IMO. maybe someone needs to adjust the heat-treating or annealing one of them.

Only option that lasts some time is the Porsche units. Not cheap but absolutely the best.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
SamT wrote:
I guess you could just adjust it and tack weld it! Or clean it up good and JB weld it.
Hey ROCK CRUSHER IS OUT!!!!AND HAS A NEW NAME!!! Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink the jb kid for sure.

Damn haven't heard his name in a while. He is from our coast Mark. Pennsyltucky!
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

SamT wrote:
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

SamT wrote:

Liar Liar Shame on you Shame on you Anxious Brick wall Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn
"I'm only trying to help" "There--aint dat better"

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
joemo5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

I called Gene Berg ENT today and they are going to hook me up. Thanks everybody for the response
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

tommiebsmith wrote:
Looks like that is a BERG setup s

yep, hex adjsuters, the steel center spacer, head nuts on holding it on. BERG

Stock rockers are not rare AT ALL, so any vw nut will probably give you one for free. I would. but a new swiel adjuster is not free. I think ACN sells singles of the porsche ones, and they should be comparable
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Valve ajustment and THIS happens! Reply with quote

This is common when the lock nut is over-tightened. I have even sheared off my share of them before I learned.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: