Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

Over the last year I have been working on doing a 2.5L DOHC turbo subaru swap. Because there seems to be limited info on turbo conversions, I thought I would share my build.

The engine is a 2004 Subaru Forester XT engine, it is DOHC and turbo. After pulling it out of the forester, I stripped it down completely and had the cylinders machined, valve job, and completely rebuilt the engine.

The engine is going into a 1991 Vanagon GL 2wd full Westfalia.

I will try to post photos and info of the stuff I am learning along the way. This is my first Subaru conversion so I am no pro.

Hope this helps anyone else looking to do a turbo swap.
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

As of now I have the Subaru rebuilt, the tranny was just rebuilt, the engine bay is mostly prepped and the wiring harness is mostly done. This week I am going to try to start the Subaru outside the van and double check everything is working. Also I'm working on underlining the whole van...so much cleaning!

In addition to Subaru conversion info, ill try to post info and pics of the other things I am doing to the van in addition to the conversion that are all sorta related.
savannagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

Sounds like an awesome project! Post some pictures of you can.
savannagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

Sounds like an awesome project! Post some pictures of you can.
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

Like!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pulling the engine a year ago

Short block still being stripped. After we split the block halves, I sent it to a machine shop and had the cylinders bored out 0.002. Valve job done.

Installing the RMW shortened oil pan. I ran into the common issue of what to do with the oil cooler. I saw many posts of people who just got rid of it to get the new oil pan to fit. I did the same, and am hoping it won't cause any issues. Back up plan is to to a external oil cooler system if I really need to. I live in CO where it doesn't get super hot do I'm hoping I should be good. Thoughts?

New turbo. The original was completely blown. Found some traces of it inside the cylinders during the rebuild.

Old VS new. WBX pulled

Trans ready to be packed and shipped to MR. GAS in CO Springs. (They do nothing but VW transaxles and are great to work with)

The old sketchy looking power steering lines. Got new ones from Bus Depot, which seem really nice. Ill post some pics when there installed.

Engine bay fun...
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

Nice project. Very Happy

What are you having done to the tranny to make it last now that you have all that power?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
wasserbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

You might as well tack a VF43 onto the back of it and have an STI-Agon while you're at it. Who doesn't need 280 Hp?
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Nice project. Very Happy

What are you having done to the tranny to make it last now that you have all that power?

The tranny had the following installed:
Peloquin TBD
South African oiling plates
Steel caged idler beadings
New mainshaft thrust plate
Aluminum gear carriers (original are magnesium and wear out quick)
Weddle 1.18 3rd gear
Weddle .77 4th

I know there are some new GT heavy duty gears out for syncros that I believe will work on a 2wd. Link:(https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672885)

Greg at MR GAS offered to install them for me but after calling several different vw tranny shops, most were saying they had no issues with the Weddle gears wearing out faster than normal. They recommend different oils to get better life out of the tranny.

The new GT gears look sweet but are almost 2x the price of the Weddle. Also, there brand new - I don't want to be the guinea pig...

Im hopping to pick up the tranny tomorrow, so we'll see how it looks.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

Popcorn

It looks like you definitely know what you're doing, but here's another 2.5 turbo swap (into a Syncro) thread that has a ton of good information:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528954&highlight=wrx++turbo++conversion

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Popcorn

It looks like you definitely know what you're doing, but here's another 2.5 turbo swap (into a Syncro) thread that has a ton of good information:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528954&highlight=wrx++turbo++conversion

Thanks! I have seen that thread and its has been helpful. I am going to try to keep the turbo in the original location. The person in that thread also seems to be on a bit of a bigger budget than I am.

I figure there is never too much info on this sort of thing so I hope it will help some people.
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

Quick update on the painting and underlining process.
I figure that while I have everything out (hoses, fuel tank, etc.) it is worth while to try to underline the van. This however is no small task because I have the van up on 4 ramps in my garage (which is covered in parts) and don't really want to soak the whole place trying to hose the bottom. This leaves me with a bottle of degreaser, a brush and a bucket of water with a wet rag to clean it. Your probably thinking I should just roll it out of my garage and wash it, but I don't know how I would ever get it back up on all 4 ramps. (I have nothing I could winch off of)

Yes, I should have thought about this before pulling the engine but its too late for that.

So, what I have done so far is Ive treated all the rust I can find on the bottom of the van, and underlined the tranny tunnel with a 3M underliner that comes in spray cans. Compared to the Rustoleum product (which I used on my new fuel tank), The 3M stuff is WAY better. Pretty solid product.

Then in the engine bay I sprayed a Rustoleum High Heat grill paint which is surprisingly tough stuff.

Engine bay sprayed. Looks a bit messy because I had to move a bunch of remaining wires/hoses.

Tranny tunnel. If you have ever crawled under and looked up in your tunnel you probably found the nasty old dirt covered foam insulation on the firewall on the backside of the bench seat. I decided that it was getting replaced as cleaning it was fruitless. Also, when I pulled the insulation stuff down and found a decent amount of rust hiding on a seam behind it.

I just got some new fireproof, engine bay insulation that I will cut to fit the old location.
Ill post some pics when thats done.
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

Turbo Fitment

As I stated earlier, Im going to try to keep the turbo in the stock Subaru location. It seems easier than trying to move it.
This unsurprisingly makes for several fitment issues.

1. Adapter plate.
I installed the RMW adapter plate which fits fine but won't allow me to get the coolant feed and return line on the turbo on.

I can't get the banjo fitting on and route the hose through.
What I have decided to do is to grind a spot in the adapter plate to get it to fit. It won't affect the structural strength of the plate and is an easy fix.

2. Clutch slave cylinder bracket.
The turbo and the slave cylinder bracket on the tranny are in each others way. I haven't started working on it yet, but I think I can chop the bracket and weld it to be slightly out of the way.

3. Exhaust/ carrier bar fitment
I got the RMW carrier bar and it is prevented from going on the engine by the exhaust coming off the headers and up to the turbo. I am sort of planning on have an exhaust shop fab me up something so I am not real worried about that yet.

4. Intercooler.
This is probably the reason people don't do turbo conversions more. I really don't have a solid plan for the intercooler yet. Ideas? My back up plan is to do an air to water intercooler and install a little radiator in the front. I would rather not spend the extra money but I will cross that bridge later.

So far this is what Ive run into, I'm sure ill find more, so stay tuned.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

WillSharp wrote:
Your probably thinking I should just roll it out of my garage and wash it, but I don't know how I would ever get it back up on all 4 ramps. (I have nothing I could winch off of)

Just a quick FYI, when I have put my Syncro onto ramps I didn't roll it up and down the ramps, I jacked it up and put the ramps under the wheels. I used some lumber to create stages so as not to go from floor to ramp in one jump; you know, jack up a bit, place a couple 2x8s under a tire then jack up the other side and repeat until high enough to get the ramp underneath the tires.
This way you can get the van on ramps with or without an engine, and in my opinion safer than driving onto ramps.

Really nice looking project!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
WillSharp wrote:
Your probably thinking I should just roll it out of my garage and wash it, but I don't know how I would ever get it back up on all 4 ramps. (I have nothing I could winch off of)

Just a quick FYI, when I have put my Syncro onto ramps I didn't roll it up and down the ramps, I jacked it up and put the ramps under the wheels. I used some lumber to create stages so as not to go from floor to ramp in one jump; you know, jack up a bit, place a couple 2x8s under a tire then jack up the other side and repeat until high enough to get the ramp underneath the tires.
This way you can get the van on ramps with or without an engine, and in my opinion safer than driving onto ramps.

Really nice looking project!

Thanks for the advice!
Yea I jacked up the van once to put ramps under the front which wasn't to bad. My driveway is sloped away from my garage so I'm not sure how I would push it back in. Maybe like 5 strong friends... haha Very Happy

So far my cleaning method really isn't bad. Just very tedious.
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

Just had a chance to install the insulation in the tranny tunnel that I was talking about earlier.
The insulation I got from Amazon for about $25. It has a adhesive back which is nice. Getting it in was a b*tch with it sticking to everything. Sits in tight and looks good.

Cut the new insulation to same dimensions as the old. Notice I did not cut any of the holes that are in the old. This is because I am relocating the ECU (big hole) and eliminated my rear heater to install a propex (the two smaller holes). I just had to cut the slots on the bottom that go around the frame.

I reused the old weird wire holders even though the insulation has an adhesive back. I couldn't get the passenger side one back in though, so I left it out.

Worth doing cause my old insulation weighed like 20lbs just from all the caked on dirt!
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

Im going to try to post a driveline RPM calculator my friend built. Does anyone know how to post a an Exel spreadsheet file? It won't let me copy/paste.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

If it is a large intercooler, could you mount it over the trans with a temp controlled can?

Hans
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
If it is a large intercooler, could you mount it over the trans with a temp controlled can?

Hans

I am not sure yet. I will know once I get the engine in. Thanks for the ideas tho! I really appreciate any ideas people have.
WillSharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 Subaru 2.5L DOHC turbo Vanagon conversion. Reply with quote

Got the tranny today from MR GAS in CO Springs. Great guy, great little shop. Trans. Looks good (can really tell anything from the outside but I assume it looks sweet inside...) Got to ride in Greg's 250HP 1.8T Audi van which was pretty sweet to check out.

Here is an updated list to what was done to the trans.
Complete rebuild
Peloquin TBD
South African oiling plates
Steel caged idler beadings
New mainshaft thrust plate
Aluminum gear carriers (original are magnesium and wear out quick)
Weddle 1.18 3rd gear
Weddle .77 4th
1/8" hole for oil temp sensor
3/8" hole for oil cooler

Greg at MR GAS recommended I install a oil temp sensor on the tranny so I had him drill a 1/8" (NTP thread) hole in the bottom of the case for a temp sender.
He also put a 3/8" hole near the top of the case for a return line for a oil cooling system if needed. I am planning to wait and see what my trans. oil temps are and see if a cooler will be needed.

Does anyone have an idea for what normal trans. oil temps should be. I saw some stuff where people were saying 160ºF but wanted to double check.
Thanks!

Also, finished underlining the van which was a bit of a project, but now I know I'm protected for a while. Ill post some pics soon.
Hope to start the engine tomorrow briefly to confirm the engine rebuild was absolutely successful. Got my fingers crossed!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: