Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock transmission paired with big motor
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jleavitt73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

Is my stock 74 Super Beetle transmission strong enough for a 1835cc engine? Basically, am I going to break things if I dump the clutch?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

I've broken a stock 74 tranny with a stock 1600.

Abuse it and it will break.

Remember, you're talking about a 43 year old transmission. Who knows it internal condition.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jleavitt73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

So basically do burn outs at your own risk Laughing
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

Never dump the clutch. At least pre-load it.
If it hops then just don't do it.

If you want to impress morons put on some hard old snowtires on the rear
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

Not just the transmission, but any wheel hop is gonna kill your nose cone and leave you stranded.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

Beetles have a lot more drive wheel traction than RWD American cars. A 40 horse engine can destroy a stock transaxle if you insist on dumping the clutch.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

I had a stock trans in all summer
1915 'Turbo' even made 6 passes down the drag strip Shocked Laughing it's all in the pre-loading
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

jleavitt73 wrote:
Is my stock 74 Super Beetle transmission strong enough for a 1835cc engine? Basically, am I going to break things if I dump the clutch?

I've run an 1835cc DP engine for 4 decades now. Stock clutch, and stock transmission in both my 1970 VW and my 1971 VW. No issues, but I don't race mine either, and I redline at 4500 rpm maximum.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

If the trans is in good shape it will be fine as others have said don't dump the clutch from a stand still
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

I say dump the clutch at will. The guys that build air-cooled transmissions need customers to stay in business and continue to supply us with quality rebuilt boxes. Laughing
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

Yeah. do a burnout in reverse! Twisted Evil
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

modok wrote:
see if the gear will come out of the case Rolling Eyes
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

lots of mounts to help trans to be rigid, but if you have a stage 1 pressure plate i heard get a heavy duty throw out bearing shaft, stronger welds at the arms Cool
62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
convertable-beetle-w/bugspray & screamer dist.(019) gone
"Where There's a Will There's a Way"
63 one of a kind beetle. 57 dash,double rear window--sweet!

Last edited by vw moses on Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

kokanee wrote:
modok wrote:
see if the gear will come out of the case Rolling Eyes

Funny story about that... As a bit of an electric car guy I can forget about the clutch at times, not needed in an EV. So with the engine freshly started, idling at about 900 rpm with the choke partly on, I absent mindedly just flicked the stock 40 horse box into reverse. Popped right in without grinding and the car lunged backwards. Didn't kill the engine and didn't seem to cause any harm to the transaxle either. Shocked
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

Would likely have stalled in a forward gear. Weight shift thing, Modoc is correct.

My Rabbit would do burnouts all day in 1st or 2nd but would just smoke the clutch in reverse. Weight shift thing!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I've run an 1835cc DP engine for 4 decades now. Stock clutch, and stock transmission in both my 1970 VW and my 1971 VW. No issues, but I don't race mine either, and I redline at 4500 rpm maximum.

Still fine, and that 1971 transmission has NEVER been out of the VW. Original CV joints/boots too !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
MitchS046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Never dump the clutch. At least pre-load it.
If it hops then just don't do it.

sorry kind of a noob In the performance scene but couldn't help to wonder how the hell you preload your trans. had a look on the old inter webs but couldn't find anything about it.....

~ mark divine
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

You people are funny. that iddy biddy 1835cc will not crash that box w/ stock clutch. If you put a puck clutch in there will split that input shaft in half.

That 1600cc must have 1200 horses to break a stock trans.

Burnouts, huh?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

Drag the clutch a little bit, to take all the slack out if the drive train, before releasing it all the way.
If you "need" to keep the car from rolling forward at all...
Hold the car from rolling using the e-brake.
Release the clutch and e-brake, and mash the go-pedal at the same time.

I made my e-brake work backward, you push the button to lock it.
Unfortunately, it still confuses me now and then. Outsmarted myself apparently. Laughing Few more years of training maybe I'll learn.
Would be safer to just have it not lock at all.
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock transmission paired with big motor Reply with quote

building a 2332 screamer(51mm carb.45x37.5 valves,1 7/8 exhaust) gonna keep the 63 swing arm trans. that came w/vw i'm not gonna dog it, but will wind it out! see what happens, going to put heavy duty thro-out shaft, got a kennedy stage 1 Cool
62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
convertable-beetle-w/bugspray & screamer dist.(019) gone
"Where There's a Will There's a Way"
63 one of a kind beetle. 57 dash,double rear window--sweet!

Last edited by vw moses on Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: