Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cleaning a Thermostat
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Cleaning a Thermostat Reply with quote

I just received an old thermostat and bracket for my 71 Super Beetle which does not currently have one. When I use the heat gun to warm the thermostat, it expands, so I'm optimistic it will work. The bracket is a little rusty so I'm going to clean it up with a wire brush and some black paint.

The thermostat itself is grimy and I'd clean that up too, but I don't know if I should take any special precautions in doing so. Any suggestions for the best way to remove grime without damaging the thermostat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning a Thermostat Reply with quote

First of all, DO NOT heat it up to expand it. If it is retracted then it is good. You can damage it by over expanding it while heating it.

As far as cleaning, I used a firm toothbrush and that green cleaner to get the oil gunk out of it.
Bosch 034

Long Gone: 70 Vert, 66, 68, 73SB, 70, 72, 61 Rag and a 64 with a cinder block in the spare tire well.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning a Thermostat Reply with quote

X2, do not heat it out of it's bracket.
Solvent or brake cleaner and a stiff brush, squeeze one side and brush in the opened up fins on the opposite side, work your way around. And no paint afterwards.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning a Thermostat Reply with quote

It's a thermostat
ya think it would get hot where it resides?

put it in a big pot of boiling hot soapy water on the stove
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning a Thermostat Reply with quote

Sounds like the idea is to keep the thermostat in the bracket if it is warmed for cleaning or testing so the bracket stops it from expanding beyond its ordinary operating range, stressing or cracking the metal at the folds. I would imagine any warming would best be kept to the ordinary operating temperature range as well as it works by vaporizing a liquid chemical in there that creates pressure inside to expand the bellows. I picked up a dirty used one too in order to put back the system that had been deleted by some PO so this was a well timed thread. My bracket needs some paint but I won't get any on the thermostat bellows so nothing interferes with its precisely engineered temperature sensitivity. Thanks for the info.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
68Bug-lite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning a Thermostat Reply with quote

DeathTrap wrote:
It's a thermostat
ya think it would get hot where it resides?

put it in a big pot of boiling hot soapy water on the stove

Only within the bracket so as to contain it's expansion; other wise the metal will fatigue when overly stretch and fail.
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning a Thermostat Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: