Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not the best start to the day...
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

Never been hit before (this morning, that is)...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad
Hurts just to look at it. Sorry. I have a fear in the back of my mind every time I drive my ghia that this could happen. It does look fixable.
I wish you good luck dealing with insurance company. As I recall you, you had an appraisal done that should really help if you have "total" issue.
Update us as you can.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

Oh man!
So sorry to see that, hope you're ok. i can't imagine the sickening feeling Crying or Very sad .
I hope things work out ok, let us know, it might help one of us if it ever happens.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
1967Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

sorry to hear about the accident

are you with hagerty insurance? (they deal with classic cars)
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

This is my daily driver so I have a regular insurance policy but, as c21darrel correctly remembers, I had an appraisal done should something like this ever happen. I was hit so I'm making the claim through the other driver's insurance, not mine. I had the car sent straight to my body shop and I'll stop in to see them tomorrow morning to find out how bad it is. Looks like we'll probably be looking for a donor front corner at least. Did I mention how perfect it was and that it had never been hit? Ugh.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

Hope you weren't hurt too bad, that's all that really matters. The damage doesn't look too bad so hopefully you'll be enjoying your car one again soon.
When we head out in our classics all we can do is be as vigilant as possible and hope for the best. Sorry to see this.

brad
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

I feel sick looking at that. Crying or Very sad So sad.
I trust you are unhurt and somewhat relieved it was not at your fault. I hope the other insurance company is kind to you.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

looks like the front axle beam is okay... is that the case?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

Goddamit..I was not having a good feeling about clicking on this thread,
That's an example of a supermodel with a very bad black eye..
I hope the repair goes well for you and good luck
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

Wow, that really sucks man. As other have said it looks to be fixable, but it could have been much worse not that what happened wasn't terrible. Sending my wishes your way. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

So sad to see. Sad Over 20 years ago, I had similar damage done to my former '69 ghia by a hit and run driver who made a left turn in front of me and then left the scene. I ended up buying a used fender from House of Ghia and having it welded on. Best of luck getting it fixed.
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

On the upside, your Datsun roadster may be happy to get more road time. Laughing Glad to hear the damage was only on the car.
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

Sorry to see this, hope it's back on the road soon.
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

Thank you everybody for the sympathy and PMs with offers to help. I really appreciate your concern and this community. I was not hurt, so no worries there. Sactojesse, what happened to you is exactly what happened… driver turned left into me (at a 2-way stop, we both were on the thru street). Luckily, my driver stopped. But get this… according to his insurance agent, he claims it was MY fault! I just got off the phone with his agent; after giving my side of the story and sending photos of the accident scene, his insurance has just agreed to cover. The agent asked if I had a collector car policy, because he said he could only cover fair market value and my policy would need to cover the rest. I said “no”, but that I had an appraisal done which showed FMV for about $16K, and to that he said “oh, then there should be no problem if the repair cost is under that.” So lesson… get a good appraisal, regardless if you have a collector car policy! So now I just have to worry about getting it all back together. At least things are not as bad as with this Morgan, which is in the waiting room at my bodyshop with mine. Yikes!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Ff0Si8z-KsiCMm27...04-h903-no
And in the meantime, J1, the Datsun is washed and ready to roll!

One question for this group, which I will ask my appraiser too… What do you think the difference in value is between a pristine, never been in an accident car, and a pristine, been in an accident but perfectly repaired car?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

That really sucks. Ghia's have beautiful compound curves and repairing them is not cheap or easy.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

akear wrote:
Thank you everybody for the sympathy and PMs with offers to help. I really appreciate your concern and this community. I was not hurt, so no worries there. Sactojesse, what happened to you is exactly what happened… driver turned left into me (at a 2-way stop, we both were on the thru street). Luckily, my driver stopped. But get this… according to his insurance agent, he claims it was MY fault! I just got off the phone with his agent; after giving my side of the story and sending photos of the accident scene, his insurance has just agreed to cover. The agent asked if I had a collector car policy, because he said he could only cover fair market value and my policy would need to cover the rest. I said “no”, but that I had an appraisal done which showed FMV for about $16K, and to that he said “oh, then there should be no problem if the repair cost is under that.” So lesson… get a good appraisal, regardless if you have a collector car policy! So now I just have to worry about getting it all back together. At least things are not as bad as with this Morgan, which is in the waiting room at my bodyshop with mine. Yikes!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Ff0Si8z-KsiCMm27...04-h903-no
And in the meantime, J1, the Datsun is washed and ready to roll!

One question for this group, which I will ask my appraiser too… What do you think the difference in value is between a pristine, never been in an accident car, and a pristine, been in an accident but perfectly repaired car?

i think it all comes down to how good the repair is... take for example all the rare lowlights on here... they may have never been in an accident but they are some that are so rusty pre-restoration that they have more metal replaced then if they were in a 10 car pileup... and they are still with a fortune because of the amazing job everyone here does restoring them =) i wouldn't worry about the accident affecting the value as long as the repair is done properly

and you should get another appraisal done after the repair
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

akear wrote:

Good luck getting a definitive answer to that question! Smile

I think the fact that the Ghia has now been involved in a previous accident would be more important to some potential future buyers, and less important to others.

My own personal opinion is that when it comes to value, what really matters is the condition of the car at the time of sale.
Truth be told, a car that has been in an accident and then was carefully repaired using high quality repair panels, materials and techniques may actually be in better overall shape than a similar car that had never been hit.

Case in point - there are those cars that have been "restored", and then there are those cars that have clearly been "over-restored" and are now better than when they left the factory.
At the time of original production there was just so much time available to spend on each Ghia, so regardless of just how extremely talented the factory craftsmen may have been the car could only be "so" good.
However in the right and capable hands that are given whatever time may be necessary, a Ghia can be made "perfect".

I believe what it really all boils down to is this - the car is worth what a serious potential buyer is willing to pay for it.
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

akear wrote:

I don't think you have to be concerned, there aren't a great deal of ghias on the road now that are accident or rust free..with the youngest ghia being 44 years old most would have been involved in some kind of fender bender or needed significant rust repair. The most important thing to worry about here is getting good quality body work done because if its done right no one will know your ghia has been in an accident.

Poor body work then yes that would play a role in value.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

That's such a sad sight to see. Glad you're ok.

Mine's on Craigslist right now at a 'good' price and I'm local to you. Might be helpful for comps? FWIW AAA decided to cover mine for $24K on the collector policy. Which was a surprise!

Linky:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/6055285334.html

Edit: Out of interest - which bodyshop are you trusting for this repair?
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Not the best start to the day... Reply with quote

So sorry to hear of your accident. It makes all of us vintage Ghia owners cringe a little. Most importantly, I'm happy that you weren't physically hurt. That Coupe can be fixed.

I have my '70 Coupe (which I bought it way back in 1974) insured with Grundy Worldwide for a "agreed policy" value of $15,000.

Is that Ghia wood-slat roof rack an original VW item, or are those Ghia roof racks reproduced. I have an NOS rack in my basement that I've never installed, and yours looks great on your car. I may have to make mine "not-NOS" one of these days!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: