Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Hello! Ever since I bought my 63 black sedan I have wanted to put a ragtop sunroof in it. I recently found a roof clip that was a decent price, but the mechanism is not in the best of shape. I think it can be saved, but I need help from you ragtop gurus to tell me what I am missing. Ragtops are pretty rare around here, so I have never used one or sat in one, even.

I'm going to post pictures of what I have.
I have...the main pieces of the mechanism. The hole itself (clip). New rollers and rivets.
I don't have...the long strips that are support brackets? The straps that connect the bows. I also don't know how to take the pieces of the old header off the locking mechanism, since they are rusted on.
The front part of the locker, where the headliner goes, is kind of rusted out.
Good news is, the handle turns freely and locks into place. Yay.
Does it matter how nice the mechanism pieces look if they will be covered anyway? I was thinking of covering all the parts with Rust Bullet and Blackshell. Is canvas way better than vinyl? Is there one manufacturer that makes ragtop covers that fit best?
Oh and I know the short rails are backwards in the pics:) I was just laying it out to see what I had.
Thanks in advance!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

This is one of the "strips" . . . https://grumpysmetal.com/bug/bug-1957-63/1956-1963-bug-rear-tension-nut-strip.html

The other "strip" can be fabricated . . .

Also . . . I see two "extra" parts . . . both shown in your first and second photos . . . can ya guess what they are?
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Some of the pieces are still visible when open. Have it blasted and epoxy it, fill the bad pits with some filler and paint. You only really see the front where the hook is and some of the arm that holds the bow.
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Feet?Razz
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the tension strip. I'm going to get that.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

bugandxbandme wrote:
Feet?Razz

Nope . . . those are only in your second photo! Laughing

Your latching mechanism still has two pieces that were broken off of a front header bow . . . but not the header bow shown your photos.
Look at the under side of your front bow . . . see the two pieces welded on to it? Compare those to what is still on your latching mechanism.
The remnant pieces will need to be removed from yer latching mechanism before you will be able to attach the front bow.
Save those pieces if ya can . . . someone might be in need of them to repair their damaged front header.

BTW . . . those pieces are held on by a pair of VERY special screws . . . they look like this . . . https://grumpysmetal.com/bug/bug-1957-63/mounting-bolt-2-fold-bug.html
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Yeah! I knew about those. I didn't think about saving them, though! That's what I was talking about when I said there were pieces stuck on that wouldn't come off. The bow that was on there originally was toast, and the guy I bought the mechanism from included the extra header bow...but I need to figure out how to remove the old parts. The screws are totally fused, of course.
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Sometimes it helps to try and tighten fused or rusty screws a bit first to break them free. Otherwise, carefully applied heat and some penetrating oil...

good luck!
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm going to get it sandblasted asap as well.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

dschup wrote:
Sometimes it helps to try and tighten fused or rusty screws a bit first to break them free. Otherwise, carefully applied heat and some penetrating oil...

I can tell ya, from first-hand experience . . . those particular "shoulder-screws" that hold the header to the mechanism . . . the most difficult to remove hardware of ANY that I have messed with on a VW!!!!
The screws on mine were fused with rust into the mechanism at their shoulders.
The mechanism would operate because the screws were free to turn where they thread into the header . . . the screw threads were NOT rusted!
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
dschup wrote:

I can tell ya, from first-hand experience . . . those particular "shoulder-screws" that hold the header to the mechanism . . . the most difficult to remove hardware of ANY that I have messed with on a VW!!!!
The screws on mine were fused with rust into the mechanism at their shoulders.
The mechanism would operate because the screws were free to turn where they thread into the header . . . the screw threads were NOT rusted!

Yes! I think mine are like that too. What did you do to remove them?
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Use a lot of penetrating oil on those screws. All the parts you will need restore the sunroof are available from the site previously mentioned. The part you need is called a pinch weld. It is spot welded in place. You will find in the bus parts. I think it is about $35.00. The guys at this site are great!!
Very will to take the time to help you out.

Geoff
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Just watched the video on Grumpy's Metal for rebuilding a rag mechanism. What a great resource! I just have to get what I have to the point where his is in the beginning of the video.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

bugandxbandme wrote:
Yes! I think mine are like that too. What did you do to remove them?

If you are VERY patient, and generously apply penetrating oil as Geoff suggested, BUT . . . if those shoulder screws refuse to budge . . .

I ended up carefully drilling them out.
Careful drilling . . . I mounted the header/locking mechanism to my Bridgeport vertical machining center and I used carbide end-mill bits to prevent "walking". . . worked like a charm!

Your situation is different . . . your header is not attached to the locking mechanism, so it is not in the way of removing the shoulder screws!
You have the enviable option of sacrificing those, already broken, pieces!

I would carefully cut the broken-off header pieces which would allow you to "un-screw" one half from the end of the shoulder screw . . . the other half should be quite easy to slip off the shoulder of the screw.
At that point, remove the three screws that hold the pivots to the cross bar and find someone competent with a press to remove the shoulder screws . . . some who knows how to properly support your parts on their arbor or hydraulic press.

FYI . . . as I mentioned to ya before . . . your locking mechanism (and possibly your "trailing bow") are "Early" "two-fold" pieces.
There some differences that I have found and not all parts are interchangeable!!!!

BTW . . . Thanks Geoff . . . I forgot where ya found the part called a pinch weld . . . wish Grump's would list it with Beetle parts as well!
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Also, don't forget to replace the two straps that assist in pulling the middle bow forward when the roof is being closed. They were originally made of a woven fabric and tended to rot out fairly quickly. Yours are missing. A 1/2" wide nylon pet leash makes a good substitute for the original material. The two pieces are pop-riveted in place and will avoid tears by keeping the sunroof cover and headliner from having to pull the middle bow into position while closing the roof.

These straps are called out as item #21 in this diagram from Grumpy's site:
https://grumpysmetal.com/bug/bug-1957-63.html

Although he doesn't offer the straps for sale, they're mentioned briefly in his how-to video
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Thanks for the leash recommendation:)
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

I believe someone posted the length of those straps in one of the sunroof threads, 12" long if I remember correctly
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Also, don't forget to replace the two straps that assist in pulling the middle bow forward when the roof is being closed.

They are quite important to prevent the trailing bow from ripping the pockets in the ragtop cover!
Mine were laser-cut from polyethylene web strap.

bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Great pictures, thank you!
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Also, don't forget the thin metal strip that goes along the rear edge of the ragtop portion of the headliner, which is very hard to find, if you don't have one. Even though the noted portion comes with a cardboard strip sewn into it, without the original metal strip it will "batwing" over time.

I was lucky enough to finally find one. I took it to a metal shop to find out the type/grade of metal and took detailed measurements so that anyone could fabricate one. See my following link:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Best,
Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: