Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

rcooled/57BLITZ:

So, can you buy those straps or do they need to be fabricated?

If fabricated, do you have any measurements?

Best,
Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Do you think i need to fix the header piece where the headliner goes (since it is kind of rusted out) or will it work the way it is? Sorry if that is a stupid question.
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

First off, no question is stupid.

In my opinion I would replace the part that is welded to the header, Pinch Weld.

Why? You're going to spend a lot of time cleaning it up and painting it. That part holds the headliner in place. an imperfect on might bleed rust spots.
Also, those tabs bend up when installing the headliner. If the are already weakened or loose from rust, you may have problems. Lastly, the parts is available.

Geoff
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

catahoula lou wrote:
rcooled/57BLITZ:So, can you buy those straps or do they need to be fabricated? If fabricated, do you have any measurements?

I haven't been able to find a source for these straps, but they would be easy enough to make. The original items are 1/2" wide and 12 7/8" long, and as I said earlier, a nylon pet leash would provide suitable material. After the pieces are cut, fuse the ends with a small flame to keep them from fraying. There are two holes in each end where the strap attaches to the frame, and they should be fused to prevent fraying too. The hole spacing can be measured on the frame.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Awesome, pinch weld is added to cart!
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Thanks, rcooled!

Will have my headliner guy fabricate them when he does the headliner installation.

Best,
Thom

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

catahoula lou wrote:
If fabricated, do you have any measurements?

Thom, I also measured my original straps and replicated those dimensions for the straps, but I had to make a second pair because I adjusted the length of the straps. The original length did not work!
I decided that what was most important is, that when the top is closed . . . having the tips of the bows centered within the "pockets" of the cover.
Those "pockets" are not much more than slits. I did not want to have any tension there as I have seen tops with the "pockets" torn . . . and the bows are then able to pull out of the cover!

I determined the length of the straps by first gluing my front header into the new ragtop cover.
I then temporarily installed the "trailing bows" into the ragtop cover so I could measure the distance between the holes.
Covers from various manufactures might be slightly different than mine, so I have considered making straps with the holes elongated to allow for a slight adjustment.

Another consideration . . . go back and look at my photos . . . notice that there are 2 sets of holes in the "roller bracket".
I have not figured out why there's 2 sets of holes, but depending on which holes are used, the spacing of the bow tips will change . . . that should be checked with the particular ragtop cover you purchased so as to match the bow spacing with the rearmost "pockets".

A careful check of these areas will be rewarded with a ragtop cover that will last longer and look nicer than one carelessly installed! Wink
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

57BLITZ:

Good idea on the elongated holes. I'll be using the ragtop that my headliner guy sold to me and I installed over 25 years ago, which still looks pretty good. Unfortunately, at the time just had fragments of the OG straps and had no idea what they were for (did not have internet to research at the time, as well). Thus, installed without straps and have some minor tears on the slits you mentioned.

However, printed out the photos above in this thread, along with rcooled's measurements for my headliner guy, just in case.

Best,
Thom

Still looking for:
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Question... Say I can't get the header closer section apart... But I do fix the pinch weld. Can I get it working properly without taking everything apart? As long as it works properly I don't care if it looks perfect, since it will be covered.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

bugandxbandme . . . You must get those two "shoulder screws" removed . . . no good way around it!
That job will be much easier . . . and there will be less risk of damaging rare/expensive ragtop parts . . . after the locking mechanism has been disassembled!
Are you having trouble removing the Phillips screws?

Thom . . . If your top is installed, it will be very easy to get the measurements for the straps.
Close the top, then, get the tips of the trailing bows centered in the cover "slits", and measure the distance between the holes.
Please let me know what that dimension is for your car, okay?
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
bugandxbandme . . . You must get those two "shoulder screws" removed . . . no good way around it!
That job will be much easier . . . and there will be less risk of damaging rare/expensive ragtop parts . . . after the locking mechanism has been disassembled!
Are you having trouble removing the Phillips screws?

Yes, I know I will have to figure out a way to get the shoulder screws out. And yes! Am having trouble with the Phillips heads. And every other fastener. Smile
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

bugandxbandme wrote:
. . . having trouble with the Phillips heads. And every other fastener. Smile

I had excellent luck removing those stubborn Phillips by . . .
First . . . drilling completely through the screw . . . straight down the middle with a #45 drill bit in a cordless drill.
Next . . . I heated the screw with a "jeweler's torch" . . . . playing the flame through the hole I drilled . . . until just before the screw started to glow.
Then . . . I was able to turn the screws out.

This is something you will want to try BEFORE the head of the screws are messed up!
A little bit of a process, but WAY easier than trying to remove screws that have broken off! Wink
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Interesting...well, I might have to try that! What if it doesn't work tho?
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

For help with stubborn to remove fasteners . . . https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462182
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

Where I am at now...
Going to order the pinch weld replacement piece. I found a welder who will fix the front part for cheap. He said he will help me take it apart too. Updates later. 😀
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

You should be able to see or feel were the pinch weld is spot welded the header piece. Take a piece if sandpaper and sand pieces to reveal the spot welds. I had the same problem with the screws. used ALOT of penetrating oil and an easy out.

Geoff
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring a ragtop sunroof mechanism with zero knowledge Reply with quote

The size of the 8 screws in the header that holds the header assembly are:

Screws are M5 x .8 10mm long oval head.

Geoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: