Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

Good evening! The adventures continue...

So, after much researching and googling and not finding much, I come to you.

What would create a hazard light relay clicking sound when I press the brake pedal? It doesn't happen all of the time but more recently, as of late. And just today I thought to take off the fuse panel cover and try to feel where the clicking is coming from and sure enough it's coming from the turn signal/emergency flasher relay.

WHY?? And does it even matter??! My brake lights/turn signal/emergency flashers all seem to work just fine.

THANKS!

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

do you have cruise control?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

WAGOTD*: Worn brake switch wiring shorting across worn hazard switch wiring...???

*(Wild @ss Guess Of The Day)

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
do you have cruise control?

Nope.

dhaavers wrote:
WAGOTD*: Worn brake switch wiring shorting across worn hazard switch wiring...???

*(Wild @ss Guess Of The Day)

- Dave

Love it. Wiring to the fuse panel? (talk to me like I might not know as much as you about these sorts of things..)

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

^^^ Just for starters/giggles, pull the instrument cover & check closely for any
loose/worn wiring leading to/from the hazard switch & brake pressure switches
(below brake fluid reservoir, left side of master cylinder).

Might also need to look from below down to fuse panel...last resort pull the dash...???

Certainly not speaking as a guru here, just an idea to start the investigation... Cool

- Dave

OTOH, I suppose it could also be a short in wiring to brake lights/rear turn signals...???

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

childofthewind wrote:
My brake lights/turn signal/emergency flashers all seem to work just fine.

Can you be a bit more specific? How did you confirm it? In particular, did you check that when you brake, only the brake lights are lit, and no other rear bulb? Another test that could be of interest: brake lights on and 4-way flashers on. Are both brake lights on and steady?

Does you van has one of those electrical modules to drive trailer lights?

My hypothesis is that the ground of one brake light is bad, and the "brake" voltage backfeeds and grounds through one of the rear flasher bulbs. There is one common ground for all rear left bulbs, and another for all rear right bulbs. So I'd do a quick test: remove one of the brake light bulbs. Is the relay still clicking? Put the bulb back in, and remove the bulb on the other side. Click or no click?

Thinking as I type... you can do an even quicker version of this test by disconnecting the whole harness that plugs into the back of rear bulb cluster. But if disconnecting one of the clusters stops the clicking (and disconnecting the other doesn't), I'd do the more specific "cluster connected, bulb removed" version.
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

Some relays are just noisy/get noisy. If its a new issue they relay could be giving its death rattle.

Beyond that Im new to van specific wiring so I dont know which relay runs the brake lights.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

there is no relay for the brake lights. heck, vw didn't even put relays in for the headlights (and you should).

i second the suspicion of dodgy grounds. clean the star cluster above the fuse block. it isn't easy to get to though. :/

from https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=490745
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

The brake lights don't utilize a relay. But the bulbs share ground wires with the turn signals......the turn signals do use a relay for flashing and 4way.
When a ground gets corroded, loose or dirty, electricity will seek a path to ground in often unconventional ways.

Not only clean the ground trees above the fuse panel but open the engine cover and look below / to the right of the ignition coil on the left side.
There are several grounds screwed to the body here. Some of these grounds are for the rear lighting.

Know this, when VW's have ground issues, really unexplainable and head scratching symptons occur.
As a direct result of battling these strange symptons for decades, I've kearned to just go clean the grounds or get a meter and trace the bad ground.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
The brake lights don't utilize a relay. But the bulbs share ground wires with the turn signals......the turn signals do use a relay for flashing and 4way.
When a ground gets corroded, loose or dirty, electricity will seek a path to ground in often unconventional ways.

Not only clean the ground trees above the fuse panel but open the engine cover and look below / to the right of the ignition coil on the left side.
There are several grounds screwed to the body here. Some of these grounds are for the rear lighting.

Know this, when VW's have ground issues, really unexplainable and head scratching symptons occur.
As a direct result of battling these strange symptons for decades, I've kearned to just go clean the grounds or get a meter and trace the bad ground.

Dave

how could the brake light find a ground path thru an off relay thru an open relay contact???? the relay is energized thru the coil, not the contacts. and no bulb should be wired thru the coil.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

Since usually it is myself, I always suspect the mechanic/observer:

There are switches (two) on the brake; could you be hearing those and misconstruing the source?
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

pablum wrote:
Since usually it is myself, I always suspect the mechanic/observer:

There are switches (two) on the brake; could you be hearing those and misconstruing the source?

I thought this too until I pulled off the fuse panel cover and could actually feel the clicking in the hazard/turn signal relay. It's definitely coming from there.

dhaavers wrote:
^^^ Just for starters/giggles, pull the instrument cover & check closely for any
loose/worn wiring leading to/from the hazard switch & brake pressure switches
(below brake fluid reservoir, left side of master cylinder).

Might also need to look from below down to fuse panel...last resort pull the dash...???

Certainly not speaking as a guru here, just an idea to start the investigation... Cool

- Dave

OTOH, I suppose it could also be a short in wiring to brake lights/rear turn signals...???

No loose wires that I can see or feel and that ground cluster is pretty clean.

jmranger wrote:
childofthewind wrote:
My brake lights/turn signal/emergency flashers all seem to work just fine.

Can you be a bit more specific? How did you confirm it? In particular, did you check that when you brake, only the brake lights are lit, and no other rear bulb? Another test that could be of interest: brake lights on and 4-way flashers on. Are both brake lights on and steady?

Does you van has one of those electrical modules to drive trailer lights?

My hypothesis is that the ground of one brake light is bad, and the "brake" voltage backfeeds and grounds through one of the rear flasher bulbs. There is one common ground for all rear left bulbs, and another for all rear right bulbs. So I'd do a quick test: remove one of the brake light bulbs. Is the relay still clicking? Put the bulb back in, and remove the bulb on the other side. Click or no click?

Thinking as I type... you can do an even quicker version of this test by disconnecting the whole harness that plugs into the back of rear bulb cluster. But if disconnecting one of the clusters stops the clicking (and disconnecting the other doesn't), I'd do the more specific "cluster connected, bulb removed" version.

I will do this testing when someone else is around to let me know about the brake lights really being on when I press them, turn signal, etc. The thing about all of this though is it is very intermittent. Which seems like a grounding issue.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

how could the brake light find a ground path thru an off relay thru an open relay contact???? the relay is energized thru the coil, not the contacts. and no bulb should be wired thru the coil.

As I mentioned before but I'll expand upon, ^^^ I've been working on VW's since the 1960's.
Almost without fail, when a really odd electrical problem surfaces, it is almost always related to a ground issue (providing owners haven't been in there "improving" the wiring system).

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

You're not crazy, Luka, my '86 has done this for years and it's exactly as you described, when you push the brake pedal the flasher relay chatters erratically, but it only happens from time to time. The sound is without a doubt the flasher relay, you can feel it chatter (when you can catch it in the act), and it goes away if the relay is removed, comes right back when it's put back.

I studied the skiz but couldn't come up with a theory. There is no back-fed power because all circuits from the flasher relay to the turn signals are open, in fact in two separate places, within the turn signal stalk switch and within the emergency flasher switch. There's simply no way for current directed to the brake light bulbs to back-feed to the flasher because there is only a circuit when the turn signal switch or the emergency flasher switch are closed.

It's the strangest thing.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

Oops... Seems that I was misleading... again. Sorry.

In case it's of interest, documentation of the flasher relay exists:
http://www.netlink.net/mp/volks/htm/3-term.htm
http://www.netlink.net/mp/volks/htm/signals.htm
dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem and can't seem to find a solution.

I have an 88 vanagon and this is what I've noticed:

-Flasher relay clicks when brake is applied and brake lights light are lit (i can feel the turn signal relay clicking)

-the relay does not click if I have the headlights on. but still clicks when running lights are on.

I've cleaned ground trees behind fuse panel and grounds in engine bay.

did anyone find a solution to the issue?

Danny
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

Automatic? Wiggle the shifter, if the neutral safety switch is out of alignment, it could cause clicking. I know it's not a perfect fit to your description, but worth a shot.

**Bonus Security Feature**
Mis-align the neutral safety switch just slightly so that the car will not start without a little pressure on the gear selector. I stumbled on this out of neglect and I dont care to bring it back to proper adjustment!

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

I've got the same issue. It's often a buzz and not just a click. I pulled the cover off while driving one day and put my hand down in the dash on various components. I'll have to check my notes, but I believe I fixed this with a new relay. Don't quote me yet.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

dougass wrote:
Automatic? Wiggle the shifter, if the neutral safety switch is out of alignment, it could cause clicking. I know it's not a perfect fit to your description, but worth a shot.

**Bonus Security Feature**
Mis-align the neutral safety switch just slightly so that the car will not start without a little pressure on the gear selector. I stumbled on this out of neglect and I dont care to bring it back to proper adjustment!

it is an automatic i'll give it a shot! and i'll also try the new relay!
dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Relay clicking when pressing the brake pedal Reply with quote

Changed out the relay, and problem solved!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: