Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timken/FAG = Indonesia?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Timken/FAG = Indonesia? Reply with quote

Just bought a set of Timken bearings for one of my friends car. I am doing some work for her. Talked her into spending more for the Timken bearings. When I opened them,they were actually FAG in a Timken box, I was pretty happy about that. Then I flipped it over and it said made in Indonesia. WTF?!
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: TIMKEN/FAG=INDONESIA? Reply with quote

At least it didn't say China Very Happy I'd look them over and if they look good, run them. I think the brand name is more important than where in the world it was made. If the company has stringent quality standards for their products, it will apply at all their factories world wide. That's why I'd never buy a no-name bearing.

I needed some front wheel bearings in a hurry. I went to Autozone. They brought out some lousy Chinese bearings. I opened the box and looked them over and they were terrible. I ordered good ones online.

I just repacked my SKF made in Mexico wheel bearings. They have 10k miles on them now. They looked brand new after cleaning them. I was nervous when I installed them since they were made in Mexico. Not anymore.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: TIMKEN/FAG=INDONESIA? Reply with quote

bearings are made all over the world. not sure why seeing 'indonesia' would be a surprise, unless they were claimed to be made somewhere else.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: TIMKEN/FAG=INDONESIA? Reply with quote

Yes.....FAG and Timken (and others) have been working together for about 8 years or so as far as I know.
The gist is that its not a merger....just cooperating to fill production gaps on limited run bearings. If FAG has the tooling and makes something....and Timken only sells a limited number per year....just buy them from FAG at a cheaper price than making tooling.

The Indonesia connection.....its hard to say.....exactly what was made in Indonesia may never be known.
However....look to see a lot more parts made from the general area.....meaning Asian but outside of China.
There is actually quite a bit of high tech, quality manufacturing going on and being started up in this group especially......from Indonesia, the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam.
First......the market for industrial wares, parts and supplies just within these countries.....is HUGE. The technical base of the population has been expanding rapidly over the last 10 years.
Because most of these players are island statea....its expensive to ship from the mainland....so in classic "American" style.....is cheaper in the long run to build the plants in the usage area.

The interesting thing I just found out about this group of countries......is that they all have an average of 6% economic growth per year over the last handful of years.....and all have AAA credit or close to it.

Timken themselves.....are no longer exempt from the practice of "reboxing". We have all been hoping that Timken may prove to be the last "un-risky" manufacturer of the big bearing manufacturers......what with the SKF counterfeit scandal.....and others.

But......I just got a pair of Timken bearings in last week. Rather uncommon ones so I pick them up when ai can.

These are Timken LM300849-20024

The two I already had in hand.....say made in United states. Above that is a small code "09Z 22". I am looking into that code.

The new bearings came in in Timken boxes last week. Same part and holographic manufacturers seal.......but......it says......"01G ASSEMBLED IN USA =S91".

I am looking into this too. Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: TIMKEN/FAG=INDONESIA? Reply with quote

To sum up.......that with close inspection and from what I have been seeing in manufacturing.....that I tend to agree with wcfvw69.......that I have far fewer worries about uwing a bearing from a company with very high standards.....manufacturing the part in areas that have been mentioned in this thread......except for China.

The biggest problem with high precision parts made in China......is that its not really a free market economy. The quality method and ethic is not yet universally entrenched.....and because its a state driven economy even a company like SKF, FAG or Timken......will be forced to comply with material, labor and management directives from the government.

Its one of the reasons why you are seeing high tech manufacturing staying in the Asian sphere for labor and cost......but moving out of China into places that have less interference. Ray
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: TIMKEN/FAG=INDONESIA? Reply with quote

I live about 1/2hr from Canton,the home of Timken Bearing.I always opt for their bearings as that name means quality.Just surprised me to see the rebox,and the Indo deal.I hate this whole globalization thing.Guess that's how it is now.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: TIMKEN/FAG=INDONESIA? Reply with quote

jeffinohio wrote:
I live about 1/2hr from Canton,the home of Timken Bearing.I always opt for their bearings as that name means quality.Just surprised me to see the rebox,and the Indo deal.I hate this whole globalization thing.Guess that's how it is now.

Yup, capitalists and manufacturing go where the cheap labor is.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Timken/FAG = Indonesia? Reply with quote

these days you could find just abput any name brand bearing in any other name brands box.witch is fine. and many countrys are getting a good income by being the cheep labor outsorced country. aslong as they use the right materials&heatreetment. my daughters boyfrinds dad go's around the world setting up & training people to run their machines they make at the plant he works at and others in the family also work there in switzerland.they make the best grinders in the world,and there not cheep(thers are the most expensive made).he does them for most all car manufactors&aircraft engine manufactures and yes bearing manufactures too.and now to many "out of the way"countrys that need a industry kick start. as long as it's a name brand it should be good. but steer clear of the ....ones that look or sound like a name brand like ..BCA= good(bower) and cba,bad.cbn.hbc and shit like that made in china. many good bearing are coming out of china....and a lot of shite too. I just get a set of bearings(pillow block 25mm) and one was great....one was dead.wtf, it's for my electrick riding mower.
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Timken/FAG = Indonesia? Reply with quote

Just a meaningless update....I got the wheel bearings changed.Pressed the old ones out,they were marked FAG made in KOREA!Dont have much confidence in these lasting.The originals only had 30000 miles on them.The car was bought new in 2014 and of course the drive train warranty does not cover wheel bearings.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Timken/FAG = Indonesia? Reply with quote

Where the bearings bad that you changed w/only 30k miles on them? My understanding is the bearing made in Korea by the name brand bearing companies are very good quality.

jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Timken/FAG = Indonesia? Reply with quote

Yes,one side was growling.Sounded like it was dry.After removing the hub,before pressing it out,I rotated it on my finger and it was toast.The other side wasn't near as bad,but I changed them both.Dealership quoted her $458 to do one side.I had $97 in both bearings.Did both in less than an hour and a half.That would have been $900 at the dealership.Think they were trying to take advantage of a young girl?!Her grandparents bought her the car there.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Timken/FAG = Indonesia? Reply with quote

Did some research before suggesting she change both bearings.After some searching,I found that her car is known to have this issue with the bearings.Some failing in as little as 8000 miles from new.I have to believe they are have a quality problem with these bearings.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Timken/FAG = Indonesia? Reply with quote

jeffinohio wrote:
Yes,one side was growling.Sounded like it was dry.After removing the hub,before pressing it out,I rotated it on my finger and it was toast.The other side wasn't near as bad,but I changed them both.Dealership quoted her $458 to do one side.I had $97 in both bearings.Did both in less than an hour and a half.That would have been $900 at the dealership.Think they were trying to take advantage of a young girl?!Her grandparents bought her the car there.

Dealerships in general need to be sued. They are thieves IMOP. I have too many stories like this one of them trying to rip off folks, especially women who don't know much about cars. They lure folks in with a cheap oil change price and then call you back telling you that "they found" that you need this, that and we really recommend that you do this as well. I had a 2 year old jeep that I took to the dealer for a $15 dollar oil change special and I didn't have time to do it myself. It cost me $30 in material to change the oil myself. Within 10 minutes of dropping it off, some young girl from the service department called me to tell me it needed a front end alignment for $80 dollars. Now, the front tires were wearing perfect. I guarantee they didn't even put the jeep on an alignment machine. After letting her have it on the phone, she transferred me to a service manager who I blasted as well. I never took it there again.

Odd on the bearings failing so quickly. It makes you wonder if the previous installer screwed up or it has a possible bent spindle. In my earlier years of doing auto alignments, I'd find a rough front wheel bearing. After taking it apart, I'd see the previous installer hit the race w/his punch causing multiple dents while installing it.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Timken/FAG = Indonesia? Reply with quote

jeffinohio wrote:

So....which car in your list is this?

Also.....its a new-ish car? So.....probably front wheel drive which means it usually has the requisite double row ball bearing assembly pressed into the hub and held tigether with either a single or double snap ring....right?

Over the years of front wheel drive....many cars have had rashes of this type of bearing failing early. In most cases that I have heard about it is less about the bearing quality....snd usually a factory installation issue......poor methodology that dents or damages the ball races......or poor design that causes lubrication issues.

In one case years ago I heard about poor seal assemblies that let in water and grit.

Another HUGE rash of failure problems with both front and rear double row ball bearing assemblies that failed early......have been caused by over torque of the outer nut......when the double row ball assembly......is made without an internal spacer system between the two rows of ball bearings.......so in effect it is two seperate rings of ball bearings each pressed into the main outer race by machine. Each bearing has its own center race that the axle goes through.
Their complete depth is set simply by the jig they are assembled with. The problem is that if the axle nut is overtorqued.....ot squeezes the bearing rings together. This keeps the balls side loaded hard against their races and squeezes the grease out.

Ford built zillions of cars with this stupid design defect......just one of many reasons I consider US cars onpy fit for wiping your ass with. It sent so far as when changing the rear wheel bearing hub assembly....you need to buy a NEW special nut.....for about $50.....that has a special "crush" feature. You tighten it until it begins to deform and then stop turning. Unfortunately......if the threads on the axle have the least bit of extra resistance......you can end up with slack in the stack up when the nut starts to deform....and the assembly tears itself apart in 3000 miles anyway.
Stupid design.

I can tell you that poor installation does it most commonly. If most any of the dront wheel drive double row bearing assembly is pressed in by pressing against the center race.....it will dent the races. Life will be short. Ray
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Timken/FAG = Indonesia? Reply with quote

This is on the rear of a 2014 Chevy front wheel drive.One of the girls who works here owns it.It was bought brand new for her by her grandparents.Its still under factory warranty,they just of course don't cover the wheel bearings.Car has never been apart before I worked on it.Dealer is the one that originally told her the bearings needed changed.They were correct.Only reason I posted it here being its not VW is we all use bearings,and quality counts.Thought it might be good info.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Timken/FAG = Indonesia? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
jeffinohio wrote:

So....which car in your list is this?

Also.....its a new-ish car? So.....probably front wheel drive which means it usually has the requisite double row ball bearing assembly pressed into the hub and held tigether with either a single or double snap ring....right?Exacly,bought new 2014,double row bearing,single snap ring,press in hub.I have changed many of this type,just never with so few miles.If you google it,you will see tons of examples,some failing in 1/3 the time as the ones I changed.Bullshit really.

Over the years of front wheel drive....many cars have had rashes of this type of bearing failing early. In most cases that I have heard about it is less about the bearing quality....snd usually a factory installation issue......poor methodology that dents or damages the ball races......or poor design that causes lubrication issues.

In one case years ago I heard about poor seal assemblies that let in water and grit.

Another HUGE rash of failure problems with both front and rear double row ball bearing assemblies that failed early......have been caused by over torque of the outer nut......when the double row ball assembly......is made without an internal spacer system between the two rows of ball bearings.......so in effect it is two seperate rings of ball bearings each pressed into the main outer race by machine. Each bearing has its own center race that the axle goes through.
Their complete depth is set simply by the jig they are assembled with. The problem is that if the axle nut is overtorqued.....ot squeezes the bearing rings together. This keeps the balls side loaded hard against their races and squeezes the grease out.

Ford built zillions of cars with this stupid design defect......just one of many reasons I consider US cars onpy fit for wiping your ass with. It sent so far as when changing the rear wheel bearing hub assembly....you need to buy a NEW special nut.....for about $50.....that has a special "crush" feature. You tighten it until it begins to deform and then stop turning. Unfortunately......if the threads on the axle have the least bit of extra resistance......you can end up with slack in the stack up when the nut starts to deform....and the assembly tears itself apart in 3000 miles anyway.
Stupid design.

I can tell you that poor installation does it most commonly. If most any of the dront wheel drive double row bearing assembly is pressed in by pressing against the center race.....it will dent the races. Life will be short. Ray

67 Cougar
3 Subarus
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Timken/FAG = Indonesia? Reply with quote

OOOPS.Car is 2014,singe snap ring,double row bearing,press in hub.Hub was spotless.No moisture inside,very clean.Just was dry for whatever reason.Bullshit that the manufacturer doesn't stand behind this.After some internet searching,this seems to becoming the norm...
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Timken/FAG = Indonesia? Reply with quote

Sorry I keep responding without the quote,I don't seem to understand how to do that....Anyhow,everything Ray says is spot on.The spindle nut torque was 134ft/lbs.Sounds excessive,but that's what I torqued it to.Spun freely afterwards.I always press the OD of the bearing,but I am sure many don't know to do that.Also,the reponse above about dealerships is spot on as well.My wife and I have bought one new car in our lives,2014 Subaru CrossTrek.If I told you what the dealer did to my car 1 week after purchase,you wouldn't believe me.I will not deal with them for anything now,but that's another story.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Timken/FAG = Indonesia? Reply with quote

jeffinohio wrote:
This is on the rear of a 2014 Chevy front wheel drive.One of the girls who works here owns it.It was bought brand new for her by her grandparents.Its still under factory warranty,they just of course don't cover the wheel bearings.Car has never been apart before I worked on it.Dealer is the one that originally told her the bearings needed changed.They were correct.Only reason I posted it here being its not VW is we all use bearings,and quality counts.Thought it might be good info.

Yep rear wheel bearing sets on American cars Rolling Eyes . Did it have a special or funky axle nut?

Might this be the Chevy Malibu?
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Malibu/2014/wheels_hubs/premature_wheel_bearing_wear.shtml

Yep....after reading your post I took a quick look online...and it has been going on since actually the mid 2000's....on mid-sized chevy/GM...trucks...you name it. None of it covered by GM.

Dollars to donuts...its the bearing and hub design that is at fault and not just the bearing.

Its exactly what I have come to expect from a GM product. Its not that the quality of their engines or chassis build quality is any better or worse than anyone else. In fact...their overall build quality is excellent these days. Actually world class.

However...their designs (component configurations, ergonomics, material quality selection for interiors etc.) and some of their design methodology ...has sucked for decades.

They are #1 in the "not invented here" arena. GM steadfastly refuses...as a company policy.... in so many cases...to use a proven world class component that is readily available and used by every other manufacturer simply because its the best available.

They will re-engineer and re-invent every sub-assembly they can to prevent paying pennies on patent use.

Their abysmal fuel injection systems and wiring harness plugs they used for decades are an elegant example of this.

Only in the early 2000's...did hey finally switch to the industry standard AMP designed dual cantilever terminal that nearly 100% of all auto manufacturers have used since the late 70's. And...they only switched because several patents have expired...and they also entered into a manufacturing partnership for plug and connector assemblies.

Just buy Ford if you must have American. Ray
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Timken/FAG = Indonesia? Reply with quote

Yup,Malibu.Several of their cars use the same design.Thats why I just went ahead and did both.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: