Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vent Window Felt - Source?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a source for this? WW is out of stock.

The felt channel has the same profile as the large channel, but much thinner. Part #111837433

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

You need one piece or two, I may have an extra in the shop?
Bruce
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

MeeferMadness wrote:
You need one piece or two, I may have an extra in the shop?
Bruce

Thanks for the offer. I need enough for both doors. What are they about 12 inch long each?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

CIP1

WCM

JBUGS

Any of the popular vendors should have it
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
CIP1

WCM

JBUGS

Any of the popular vendors should have it

I've looked - they have convertible ones. Any difference?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-311-837-433-2

Here you go
a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

Give Restoration Specialties an inquiry. They are on the east coast. I have found lot's of odd bits there. Great online catalogue.
Peter
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

Thanks TXOval - I ordered the one from CIP. We'll see if it is correct.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

mkbug wrote:

I'm curious - what did you receive from CIP? Was it Brazilian with a green stripe on it or something else? How did it fit?
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
mkbug wrote:

I'm curious - what did you receive from CIP? Was it Brazilian with a green stripe on it or something else? How did it fit?

I havent installed them yet. The have a red strip on the outside.

My Build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667183
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

mkbug wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
mkbug wrote:

Thanks for the reply...I attempted to install the Brazilian felt trim in my Type 3 and, while it fits the channel, it was too tight on the glass.

I called Wolfsburg West yesterday and they told me that the OE early vent felt will be available in about 4 weeks so I think I'll wait.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

mkbug wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
mkbug wrote:

So did this turn out to be the right stuff and how did it work?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

Well it was the right part but it made the window very difficult to roll up and down. So I went a different route.

I went to Home Depot and bought some black low pile indoor/outdoor carpet. I spray glued the carpet into the channel and with a dull knife molded it into the channel. It worked great. The black carpet is fuzzy just like the felt part and the window moves much better (not loose).

One linear foot from a six foot roll. I've got lots left over. Let me know if you want some.

My Build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667183
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

How did you install the divider bar? You should leave it loose and then roll the window up. Once it’s rolled up, tighten the divider.

The tightness probably had more to do with the divider install then the felt.

I learned this lesson the hard way too...when your window is hard to roll up, 99% of the time it’s the location/install of the divider bar
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

The felt with the stripe is the correct width but it's too thick so the window doesn't have enough space to roll up/down smoothly. Even installing with the divider loose - there's only so much space for the felt, the glass and the divider bar.

I have tried two different reproductions of the felt - neither worked. I wound up finding NOS quarter window frames with the felt and it's a lot thinner than the Brazilian (red/green stripe) felt.

Wolfsburg West has been out of stock for over six months - not sure when (or if) it'll return to stock but I've been watching/waiting. If I get tired of waiting, I'll either use the Home Depot carpet (I'd found that a while back myself) or swap in the NOS frames I've got. It'd be great if there was more than one source for the stuff that actually works.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

I’ve loosened up the tight felts by running a piece of wood up and down the channel, by hand.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

EIS has them in stock. I purchased a set at the VW Classic show last weekend. $10/ea. They have a zred stripe down the side. As for fitament issues, unknown. I haven’t installed them yet
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vent Window Felt - Source? Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
EIS has them in stock. I purchased a set at the VW Classic show last weekend. $10/ea. They have a zred stripe down the side. As for fitament issues, unknown. I haven’t installed them yet

Everyone has the Brazilian (red stripe) in stock.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: