Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Short wheel base play car like a UTV
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

I am thinking about building a VW based SWB car like a UTV, Has any body done it and could you post some pictures?
I don't need any thing scary fast, I was thinking about a fairly stock 1600 with type 1 IRS and a mid travel link pin front end, I have a 8" over front beam with no shock towers and through rods taking up space in the shed, maybe put some 3x3 rear trailing arms and some coil overs at each wheel.
This would be for playing in the desert, no dunes. I know I will be sitting pretty much on top the trans but thats no problem, I had thought about using a cut down pan I have for a Dune Buggy but no body builds pan buggies any more.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

like this one? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667038&highlight=utv

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

Yes, something very similar to that but it will be wider. Thank you Pullstart.

Casey
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
FRFABWORKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

WORKING ON TWO DIFFERENT BUGGIES .ONE ON A VW THING PAN AND ONE ON A VW BUG PAN . WELDED UP ALL PAN SEAMS AND GOT BUSY WITH THE TUBE BENDER . DID NOT SHORTEN THE FRAMES AT ALL . STOCK WIDTH ON SUSPENSION .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

FRFABWORKS
Those look great, that is just what I want to build. I want to build it wide because I am a 5X man [tall and fat], I fit in a stock bug but its tight, I have to do things myself because I am disabled and don't make a lot of money.
What size tubing are you using? I have a set of 1 1/2" x 5.5" CLR dies for my JD Squared bender. I can't afford to build my frame from DOM so it will be ERW [with the weld on the inside of the bend] but I am not building a race car so it should not be a problem, I plan to use .120 wall for the main hoops and .095 for the rest. I may put a set of 1 1/4" dies on a credit card to use for racks and things.
Thanks for posting the pics.

Casey
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
FRFABWORKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

BOTH FRAMES BUILT WITH 1.5 X.095 ERW TUBE. THE ONE HAS 2 X 4 X.100 REG . TUBE FOR ROCKER AND B - PILLAR . YOUR 1.5 DIE IS PERFECT . JUST DECIDE ON WHAT SEATS YOU WANT TO USE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WIDTH IT WILL BE ( 24 '' IS A GOOD SIZE PER SIDE ) . BUGGY PICTURE SITTING ON THE TRAILER IS 63'' ACROSS .

FRFABWORKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

FEW MORE PICS .

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

Those will look great when finished, I'm sure! On the 2x3 framed buggy, what is the reason for the 2x3 sticking up past the rest of the cage? Light bar mount or roof rack possibly?

Also, the tubes welded to the center of the pan on the floor, do they end at the pan or are they through to the other side?

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRFABWORKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

YES THE REG. TUBE ON THE B- PILLAR IS WHERE THE ROOF RACK WILL END THATS WHY IT IS HIGHER . IT WILL FLOW WHEN RACK IS INSTALLED. TUBES AT BASE OF TUNNEL DO NOT GO ACROSS IN ONE PIECE. I WELDED A BASE PIECE OF FLAT STOCK TO MAKE IT STRONGER BEFORE WELDING TUBE IN.

FRFABWORKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

TWO MORE OF MY COLLECTION OF BUGGIES STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION . FIRST IS A FOUR SEATER WITH A 18''BULK HEAD DOWN THE MIDDLE .FRAME IS 73'' WIDE AND 15.5 FEET LONG . BIG BUGGY FOR THE BUSH TRAILS . HAVE BROUGHT IT OUT OF STORAGE AND WILL BE CHOPPING IT TO MAKE A WILD TWO SEAT BUSH PLAY CAR . LAST THREE PICS IS A 3 SEATER BUT THE DRIVER SITS IN THE MIDDLE AND IS 70'' WIDE BY 14 ' LONG. NOW BOTH OF THESE BUGGIES WILL HAVE WIDER FRONT BEAMS AND REAR ARMS PLUS MORE SUSPENSION TRAVEL . ALOT MORE MONEY TO BUILD BUT YOU CAN MAKE A GREAT MACHINE FROM A BUG PAN . GOOD SHOCKS , BRACING WHERE NEEDED , RESPECT WHEEL / TIRE WITH TRANSMISSION SIZES BETTER TIE RODS , GOOD AIR FILTER ( COST ME A MOTOR ONCE) . VW PARTS ARE ALL OVERTHE PLACE AND CHEAPER THAN GOING TO THE OEM UTV DEALERS FOR PARTS

earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

FRFABWORKS wrote:
TWO MORE OF MY COLLECTION OF BUGGIES STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION . FIRST IS A FOUR SEATER WITH A 18''BULK HEAD DOWN THE MIDDLE .FRAME IS 73'' WIDE AND 15.5 FEET LONG . BIG BUGGY FOR THE BUSH TRAILS . HAVE BROUGHT IT OUT OF STORAGE AND WILL BE CHOPPING IT TO MAKE A WILD TWO SEAT BUSH PLAY CAR . LAST THREE PICS IS A 3 SEATER BUT THE DRIVER SITS IN THE MIDDLE AND IS 70'' WIDE BY 14 ' LONG. NOW BOTH OF THESE BUGGIES WILL HAVE WIDER FRONT BEAMS AND REAR ARMS PLUS MORE SUSPENSION TRAVEL . ALOT MORE MONEY TO BUILD BUT YOU CAN MAKE A GREAT MACHINE FROM A BUG PAN . GOOD SHOCKS , BRACING WHERE NEEDED , RESPECT WHEEL / TIRE WITH TRANSMISSION SIZES BETTER TIE RODS , GOOD AIR FILTER ( COST ME A MOTOR ONCE) . VW PARTS ARE ALL OVERTHE PLACE AND CHEAPER THAN GOING TO THE OEM UTV DEALERS FOR PARTS

I really like this one, It has a real H1 Hummer look to it, I wish I could buy it from you before you cut it up.

Casey
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
FRFABWORKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

SORRY I CUT IT IN HALF ON APRIL 2. WHEN I BUILT IT I WAS GOING FOR THE H - 1 LOOK .EVEN AFTER CUTTING IT WHEN YOU OVER LAP THE FRONT AND BACK SECTIONS IT STILL LOOKS WILD . WILL BE JOINING THE TWO SECTIONS TODAY AND WILL FIRE UP THE MIG WELDER . PICTURES TO COME.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

These are some neat designs. Makes me wish I could do that for a living. I love this stuff! I'm missing fabrication since I lost my shop. People don't always appreciate how truly difficult it is to get a frame straight and true the first shot let alone looking cool and original.

good work!
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
FRFABWORKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

Well its a hobby for me but I am going to try and make it a living . I do home improvements now and mix in the fab work when needed . Been playing with this stuff since I was 14 years old . Tooling , shop and skills are a must but it comes at a cost and no a do not use cad drawings at all . Good old pen and paper and my head full of ideas . Put in a buggy fabrication add together two weeks ago and some jobs are flowing in . No one here makes buggy frames so I just got a local Berrien dealer to quote three different frame styles for me . So for the Warrior kit it will cost me 2 1/2 times the cost due to the dollar exchange , shipping , dealer mark up and that does not include my time driving 4 hours back and forth , my gas and taxes . So the game is on , will be manufacturing my own frames to sell .
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

Modify a Bug body to fit on a UTV chassis and make it street legal.

Link

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

Quote:
and make it street legal.

But it's the chassis that makes it street legal or not. Not the body shell.

If ya wanna Baja Bug, build a Baja Bug. Ya know?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

Those things are more expensive than buying a bug and building a nice ass cage and suspension setup?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

No foolin' there!!! I keep hearing from those racing UTVs about having spent like $75K !!!!!! Build a hell of a Baja for that. And those are about as fast as a 5-1600 Baja.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Short wheel base play car like a UTV Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Quote:
and make it street legal.

But it's the chassis that makes it street legal or not. Not the body shell.

If ya wanna Baja Bug, build a Baja Bug. Ya know?

What the state doesn't know, won't hurt them. Wink

Just don't get pulled over and inspected.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: