Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1982 vw rabbit convertible not running
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajmunayco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: 1982 vw rabbit convertible not running Reply with quote

I have a 1982 vw rabbit fuel injection, been sitting for several years I replaced fuel pump, fuel tank, bled fuel lines, cleaned injectors, replaced fuel distributor, replaced fuel pump relay, added good gas and berrymans fuel cleaner, will crank at cold start but will stall, a vw mechanic said fuel past fuel distributor could be the issue maybe electrical or regulator or not enough psi. The interior fuse box is in rough shape as in hanging no longer mounted. Everything seems connected. Could use some advice thanks
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 vw rabbit convertible not running Reply with quote

CIS doesn't like to sit for long periods. Either take it to a shop that can diagnose the CIS or get a Bently manual for it and see if you want to try it.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 vw rabbit convertible not running Reply with quote

fuel pressure gauge is a must... with out one.. sell it... $$$$ unless you learn to build your own... its cis specific.. the other kinds parts stors sell do not work..

once you have that... then put injectors ito glass jar, junp fuel pump relay, lift flap. a smart guy uses 4 jars for each injector.. so can see if each sprays same amount

hope ya like wiring... thats last year of ceramic fusebox.. like $400 to buy new... and when new they are pretty shitty... BUT your also lucky... a ce2 88 till eng of production wiring harness should fit right in.. vs jetta where things are different.. why i telling ya look up price of fuse box... then think your time/value to go pull one at some yard from a newer one.. will cost less.. and be better in the end
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 vw rabbit convertible not running Reply with quote

ajmunayco wrote:
will crank at cold start but will stall

What does that mean?

Cranking means that the starter is engaged and the engine turns over. Stalling means that the engine was running and for some reason, it just stopped running. So, are you saying that when it's cold it starts, then stalls?

If that is the case, the engine is probably running on the cold start valve. This valve is used to assist in, cold starting. It will only spray for a limited time and the colder the engine is, the longer it will spray.

CIS is easy, as for sitting and not starting? I had a 88 Cabriolet that sat outside for 10 years and it started with only a new battery. CIS gets a bad rap because professionals think it's too old and have no clue how it works hobbyist do not like buying tools and have no clue how it works.

You need to make certain there are no air leaks after the fuel distributor. Any leak would not be metered and therefore the right fuel would not be delivered. I've never ever installed a new fuel distributor and had the engine start. It always needs an idle fuel mixture adjustment. Sadly the VW's have an updraft plate so it's hard to get push on the plate to give it extra fuel to start.

Let us know what you mean about the cranking. If it does run, it's not an ignition issue.
ajmunayco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 vw rabbit convertible not running Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback, please excuse my verbiage on the cranking to clarify it will start and shut off momentarily. I posted a video on YouTube in my account if you would like to listen to it.
https://youtu.be/1hdfptTVupg (ajmunayco1)
I have the rabbit at an old school mechanic shop so it will be next Saturday till I can test fuel pressure and search for vacuum leaks. And change out the fuel filter. Is there a way to test the control pressure regulator? It looks like I have two of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: