Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW? Reply with quote

I've been looking around for a replacement starter for my 1965 Bug, converted to 12v but still using the 6v starter. I was just looking for another 6v starter because the conversion ones I've come across are very expensive.

But I found an ACDelco starter (#336-1308) that seems to be a 12v starter for 6v bugs. Here's the ACDelco page on two starters for 6v bugs: http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php . It's the second one.

On Amazon this starter is selling for $39.65 w/free shipping and a possible $9 rebate. And no mention of a core charge although it's remanufactured.

Does anyone know if this information is correct? Has anyone tried this starter?

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW? Reply with quote

A remanufactured Bosch SRX11 starter sells competively for around $100-120 plus shipping.

A $30 starter from Amazon will be different.
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW? Reply with quote

"A $30 starter from Amazon will be different.""

Yes, much cheaper. Besides that, is there proof that there is a difference?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW? Reply with quote

Do you have a 6 volt flywheel or a 12v flywheel? If 6 volt you can't just switch starters. You need to change the flywheel and grind out the bellhousing to do it right.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW? Reply with quote

I have a 6v flywheel but my 1965 bug is converted to 12v. I'm using the original 6v starter, but there's a problem developing and I'm looking for a replacement. The ACDelco 12v starter I'm asking about is advertised as fitting a 6v bug (1958-65). So I'm thinking it's a conversion starter, and if it is then it's a very inexpensive one. I've seen other conversion starters being sold here for $200-300.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW? Reply with quote

IMO..
Go to your local FLAPS.. Autozone, Oreilly's, Advance.. NAPA etc.... buy the 6v starter you need.. one with a lifetime warranty ... install a new starter bushing too .. and move on away from mail web order. Too much hassle sometimes when there is a problem..

I used a 6 volt starter on 12 volts for over 20 years on a driver... and .. when it finally failed.. I swapped it out.. and eventually put it on another car.... still have the starter.. Laughing

A reman is a reman.. Delco is just buying them from whoever... not much difference than your Friendly Local Auto Parts Store.. or mudFLAPS store..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:14 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW? Reply with quote

Your link doesn't work so I have no idea what you are talking about. That part number you posted is a remanufactured 12v starter, no different from any of them available at your local auto parts store
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW? Reply with quote

no, its not a 6 volt starter for a 12 volt system. They recognize that people convert to 12 volts. So its a 12 volt starter for a 12 volt flywheel. Use a 6 volt starter with a 12 volt solenoid. If a 6 volt starter fails on a 12 volt system, it will most likely be the solenoid. I ran one like this on my 66 for a couple of years.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW? Reply with quote

jbclem wrote:
But I found an ACDelco starter (#336-1308) that seems to be a 12v starter for 6v bugs. Here's the ACDelco page on two starters for 6v bugs: http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php . It's the second one.

Does anyone know if this information is correct? Has anyone tried this starter?

John

This is what you need: Hybrid 12V Starter on 6V Flywheel
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=551031

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Replacing the 6V solenoid with a 12V does not help. Remove the cap from the solenoid and you will see the starter motor contacts are at the bottom, which means the gear moves into the flywheel before the motor is connected to the battery. This works exactly the same with a 6V or 12V solenoid.

ACDelco starter (#336-1308) is a 12V starter, the Bendix gear will not fit a 6V flywheel.

Product Details
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/AC_Delco/Starter/AC3361308.html

ACDELCO – (REMANUFACTURED) OE REPLACEMENT STARTERS

Crank your engine to full power with the sturdy, rigorously inspected design and dependable performance offered by ACDelco’s remanufactured OE replacement starters. Established in 1899, ACDelco manufactures original GM parts and premium OE replacement parts for other brands in the automotive aftermarket.
•Sturdily designed
•Rigorously remanufactured and inspected to strict OE standards
•Constructed from OE cores and OEM or premium, 100% new aftermarket components
•Engineered with brand-new bearings, brushes and bushings
•FMEA (or Failure Mode and Effects Analysis) facilitates optimized development
•Suits extensive array of makes and models

Highlights

Note: Family BO-DD; Unit Manufacturer Bosch; With 12 Volt System
Series: AC Delco Professional
Condition: Remanufactured
Product Fit: Direct Fit
Quantity Sold: Sold Individually
Color/Finish: Factory Finish
Recommended Use: OE Replacement
Anticipated Ship Out Time: Same day - 1 business day
Notes: Family BO-DD; Unit Manufacturer Bosch; With 12 Volt System
Power Output: 0.7 kW
Replaces OE Number: 19135162
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW? Reply with quote

To see the ACDelco page, that I thought I linked to, it looks like you have to enter 1965 Volkswagen Beetle and then choose "Electrical" then "Starter".

Alternately, I've put a copy of a jpg of that page in my Dropbox. If this works it should show the ACDelco page with the two starters. The second one (336-1308) is the one I'm wondering about.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8yb679ytcknz6i/ACDelco%206v%20starters.jpg?dl=0

There is no indication, from ACDelco, that this is a starter for later 12v bugs. It lists the year range as 54-66. If this is wrong, then I'll just look for another 6v starter. Then the issue is should I get a used Bosch 6v starter or a new cheap starter such as the other ACDelco. Can a used, probably high mileage, Bosch starter stand up to 12volts longer than a new cheapo starter.

BTW, I originally checked O'Reilly and NAPA and what they had seemed to be Chinese. I think ACDelco is USA made.

If no one here has tried this starter, I'll try calling ACDelco and see what they know.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW? Reply with quote

The Delco catalog is very generic.. .. it pulls everything that may fit..

If you expand the list of vehicles it reads 12 volts for 54-79.. = wrong..
http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/BuyersGui...ttype=4152

Expand the pictures shows the difference in shaft and gear size...

Another case of knowing what you need vs what a catalog shows will fit.

Proceed with another 6 Volt starter or buy the Hybrid.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW? Reply with quote

I did expand the photos of the two starters (6v and 12v) and tried measuring the shaft size with a caliper. They both seemed to be very close to each other in size. I also counted the gear teeth and came up with the just about same number of visible gear teeth.

Do you know the diameter dimension for the two different shafts? And also the tooth count on the different gears. I'd think the tooth count would be notably different, and I didn't see that. The two photos are slightly different in size, but not by much so I'd also think that visually a 12v shaft should be noticeably smaller in diameter.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW? Reply with quote

... we converted our 6v 1960 single cab to 12v leaving the 6v flywheel and 6v starter in place... has been this way since 2007, with no problems...
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Johnous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW? Reply with quote

I am running a 1966 beetle that has been converted to 12V. It uses a bosch 6V starter with a 12V starter solenoid from a 12V 1967 beetle. The solenoid was $20 from a FLAPS. This has helped my starting/grinding issues... but only after installing an undamaged flywheel.

Even if you change the starter motor entirely, the flywheel teeth have been damaged. You may need to change the flywheel as well to fully address the grinding issue at startup. Flywheels tend to come to rest at the same locations when you shut the engine off, so a new starter will still have difficulty engaging a damaged flywheel. No hybrid starter, new starter, or new solenoid will address that issue.
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW? Reply with quote

Johnous, I've wondered about replacing the 6v solenoid with a 12v one but always thought you'd need to replace the motor windings also. What is it that wears down the flywheel teeth the most, the 6v solenoid throwing the gear out too fast and with too much force, or the 6v motor spinning too fast? Does you starter still turn over the engine real fast so it starts on the first or second spin.

Is it a bolt-on affair to install the 12v solenoid or do you have to make some changes, do a little soldering?

As far as the flywheel goes, the noise I hear doesn't sound like a flywheel grind. It feels more like the starter gear isn't being thrown out all the way some of the time and the noise is more of a zing with a little meshing noise. Flywheel grinds that I remember are a much stronger and nastier noise. And it's more of a sporatic problem (but occurring more and more now)...the starter will fail 2-4 times in a row then on the 5th try it'll work normally. Then when the engine warms up it won't happen for a while, but it always comes back. It doesn't quite feel like a flywheel grind...but I won't really know until I remove the starter and check the flywheel teeth.
Johnous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW? Reply with quote

An attempt to answer some of your questions is below. This is a pretty common issue, as far as I know, on 12v conversions. I will admit that I took a 3/4-assed (bit more than half-assed) way to fix this issue. As others have said before, using a full 12v set up and grinding the transmission is the proper fix. However, this worked for me in my situation.

jbclem wrote:
As far as the flywheel goes, the noise I hear doesn't sound like a flywheel grind. It feels more like the starter gear isn't being thrown out all the way some of the time and the noise is more of a zing with a little meshing noise. Flywheel grinds that I remember are a much stronger and nastier noise. And it's more of a sporatic problem (but occurring more and more now)...the starter will fail 2-4 times in a row then on the 5th try it'll work normally. Then when the engine warms up it won't happen for a while, but it always comes back. It doesn't quite feel like a flywheel grind...but I won't really know until I remove the starter and check the flywheel teeth.

That pretty much sounds like grinding to me. It isn't a catastrophic noise, and doesn't happen 100% of the time. However, the flywheel tends to come to rest at a few places after you shut the car off. The success/failure rate of starting corresponds to how much wear these resting places are getting. As they wear more over time, you have to try more times to start the car. It could just be the solenoid going out... The only way to know for sure is to see with your peepers what your flywheel actually looks like. Shocked

jbclem wrote:
What is it that wears down the flywheel teeth the most, the 6v solenoid throwing the gear out too fast and with too much force, or the 6v motor spinning too fast?

That is a matter of debate, it seems. The damage happens when the starter motor starts to spin before the flywheel teeth are fully engaged. This is why existing damage to the flywheel will perpetuate any fix on the starter motor alone. Intuitively to me, the problem is at the initial meshing - it doesn't really matter how fast the motor will spin the flywheel, as long as they initially engage properly. For my particular circumstances, the new solenoid AND flywheel pretty much eliminated this grinding. Again, this is all a matter of healthy debate so form your own opinion through reading and meditation.

jbclem wrote:
Does you starter still turn over the engine real fast so it starts on the first or second spin.

Yes. It is still a 6v starter running on 12v.

jbclem wrote:
Is it a bolt-on affair to install the 12v solenoid or do you have to make some changes, do a little soldering?

It is entirely bolt on. To change the solenoid, you need the starter out of the car. The solenoid is held on with two flathead screws onto the starter, which can be quite tight. I removed these screws using a screwdriver supplemented by a pair of pliers, and added locktite to them when I refitted them. Those are the only fasteners that are involved in the change, aside from the strap between the solenoid and the starter motor. You have to make sure that the distance from the solenoid body to the end of the actuating mechanism is the same for the replacement as with your original 6v solenoid. It is also advisable to clean your electrical connections when you are down there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ACDelco 12v starter for 6v VW? Reply with quote

Here's a followup to my starter situation:

I ended up buying a 6v Ultima remanufactured starter from a local O'Reilly, $46.99 plus $3.60 core charge. When I first checked, all they had was Chinese, but their manager took the time to search around (beyond calling the local warehouse) and found a USA made one at an upstate warehouse. It took a while, but it was finally shipped down here and I installed it and that fixed the problem I was having.

My flywheel had the usual wear, shiny areas on the teeth, but no sign of any really worn down teeth. And it's starting without any noises other than the normal starter noise.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

John
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: