Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing old shocks with Boge.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing old shocks with Boge. Reply with quote

static wrote:
While the new OEM oil-filled shocks are not exactly the pinnacle of shock absorber technology, I suspect that your butt will immediately appreciate the comfort.

KYB Gas-Adjusts are just too stern and unforgiving.

(On the other hand, the GR-2 is just fine)

That is always the correct method of running with KYB's in a bus.

Front: KYB GR2's

Rear KYB Gas-Adjusts
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE-Replacing old shocks with Boge. Reply with quote

DeltaBravo wrote:
…After completely removing the rear sway bar and installing new rubber bushing on the front (1") sway bar as well as new (8 ply) tires, the ride is very forgiving. I've notice the ride is very soft over bump and through dips all while maintain great control in turns and down the highway. Very little body roll while on the fast, tight on and off ramps. It is truly a perfect balance of softness and control.

The OEM set up works perfect, soft shocks, front sway bar, and 8 ply tires. That's all ya need!

Welcome to Club Volkswagen. We have cars that drive all over the damn world in comfort, style, and economy. Glad to have you on board. Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing old shocks with Boge. Reply with quote

I bought the heavy duty Boges from BD. They ride about the same as having no shocks at all when on pavement, but really seem to do the job when I get into a serious off road situation.

I would like a little more stiffness on the road in the hopes of more control in the wind but otherwise am very pleased with them. I do have a 1" front sway bar, but don't find the handling in the wind to be anywhere near as good as that of my Vanagon and thus will at times choose the Vanagon over the Bay.
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing old shocks with Boge. Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
static wrote:
While the new OEM oil-filled shocks are not exactly the pinnacle of shock absorber technology, I suspect that your butt will immediately appreciate the comfort.

KYB Gas-Adjusts are just too stern and unforgiving.

(On the other hand, the GR-2 is just fine)

That is always the correct method of running with KYB's in a bus.

Front: KYB GR2's

Rear KYB Gas-Adjusts

Im going to try this setup. Gr2 up front and gas-adjusts in the rear. I gather its a given on having the old shock sleeve stuck on the shock mount. I know when i picked up my new shocks at wolfgang they mentioned if they dont fit its due to the old shock sleeve stuck.

I found two things out in this process, if you have original shocks be ready for the stuck sleeve. What worked for me was to hit it with penetratring oil, then i tried the chisel in the gap but i didnt want to damage anything, tried pliers and settled on a pipe wrench that allowed me to use my foot to put enough force to break it free and after working it and oiling it took me about 15 minutes to get it off. Cleaned and sanded to clean it up. Second, the kybs come with a small spacers for the top and bottom to have the proper clearance.

Was planning on putting on all shocks yesterday evening but only managed one front, having it 100 outside where im working didnt help. Slowly but surely.

Enjoy
70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE-Replacing old shocks with Boge. Reply with quote

DeltaBravo wrote:
Just wanted bring an update to this thread. I've put about 300 miles on my bus since all of my work (engine, trans, bearings, shocks....). Everything is working well. I really like the ride quality of these shocks and I am glad I installed them...money well spent.

After completely removing the rear sway bar and installing new rubber bushing on the front (1") sway bar as well as new (8 ply) tires, the ride is very forgiving. I've notice the ride is very soft over bump and through dips all while maintain great control in turns and down the highway. Very little body roll while on the fast, tight on and off ramps. It is truly a perfect balance of softness and control.

The OEM set up works perfect, soft shocks, front sway bar, and 8 ply tires. That's all ya need!

that has been my experience too both on my 1971 and my 1977. We went to Koni shocks but that might be a little overkill. We go to Yosemite a couple times a year and the bus often drives smoother than the other cars ahead of me who are slower than the bus except on sustained uphill grades.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: