Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this for and where does it go?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: What is this for and where does it go? Reply with quote

Hi all, just going through my stash of VW parts to organize and came across this piece. I remember seeing it during disassembly but somehow failed to bag and tag it.

It looks and feels like sandpaper on one side and the back looks like ribbed plastic or rubber. I think it goes somewhere in the dash?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this for and where does it go? Reply with quote

just my thoughts... i have a very original 67 bug and don't recognize that. what year beetle is this from? could it possibly be some non-original piece that may have served some odd purpose for some previous owner, is this a very original car that you have dissembled, or do you know has it been restored/messed with in the past?
also just another thought i know vw left original pieces of certain material hidden in places such as behind door panels (i guess as a future reference when replacing those?) for example, i found some original pieces of defrost hose and carpet / headliner square samples hidden in my car. maybe this is something like that?
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this for and where does it go? Reply with quote

It's for my 64 bug. It's been worked on in the past including a 65 engine and very minor things. But not much until my pan off resto/mod.

Maybe it was something that fell in there and stayed there until I found it. Thanks for your help.
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this for and where does it go? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
i found some original pieces of defrost hose and carpet / headliner square samples hidden in my car. maybe this is something like that?

Wow, what a treasure! Like a time capsule sampler.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this for and where does it go? Reply with quote

I think it goes on the ash tray some where. On the insid epart of the dash.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this for and where does it go? Reply with quote

VW intentionally used scraps of vinyl material as quick, cheap inserts between parts that rub together. That piece may have been glued to the clips that retain the upper rim of the cardboard wiring cover. Other places you'll find these scraps is behind the grills. They are not consistent with the vinyl package of the car, I.E.: I've found grey scraps behind the dash on a car with a red interior. Same thing with tool bags- they didn't match the car intentionally.

When you find things like trimmings of defroster hose, etc., think no further than an oversight at the factory. VW factory builders dropped stuff down the cowls just like you and I.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this for and where does it go? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
VW intentionally used scraps of vinyl material as quick, cheap inserts between parts that rub together. That piece may have been glued to the clips that retain the upper rim of the cardboard wiring cover. Other places you'll find these scraps is behind the grills. They are not consistent with the vinyl package of the car, I.E.: I've found grey scraps behind the dash on a car with a red interior. Same thing with tool bags- they didn't match the car intentionally.

When you find things like trimmings of defroster hose, etc., think no further than an oversight at the factory. VW factory builders dropped stuff down the cowls just like you and I.

X2, this. Scraps of seat material is cheaper than a custom rubber part that would then have to be stocked. I can't remember where all I've found them, but they are common unless a PO has removed them, thinking it was trash.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this for and where does it go? Reply with quote

Agree with the ashtray answer.
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this for and where does it go? Reply with quote

OK, guys. Thanks for your help and replies. I think I remember where I found it. IIRC it was in this spot:

I'll glue it back in place when all's ready.
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this for and where does it go? Reply with quote

I think my '66 Beetle had a piece like that, but it may have been attached to the ashtray housing itself. The "sandpaper" like side might be the remainder of what was once some thin foam.
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this for and where does it go? Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
Agree with the ashtray answer.

Times 3 ! I just found one hiding under my '62's ashtray. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: