Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

81 scirocco S barn find in classifieds
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Embankmentlb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: 81 scirocco S barn find in classifieds Reply with quote

What do you guys think about the barn find SS located in Ga? Not my car but very near me. I have seen it cleaned up. Everything is excellent but no engine.
I am digging it!
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: 81 scirocco S barn find in classifieds Reply with quote

i just wonder why it had its engine removed (boy racer??) in 84ish via the adds wording.. 4 year old car parked due to no engine... just expect to go thru it all.. should be nice n tight and dry stored..
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 81 scirocco S barn find in classifieds Reply with quote

Perfect candidate for a 16V swap.
Embankmentlb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 scirocco S barn find in classifieds Reply with quote

I talked with the guy about the engine. He says that he bought the car new and at about 4K miles something in the engine went a miss. It was warranted by VW but never ran the same afterwards. At 45K Miles the engine totally exploded.
Apparently it's been in a storage unit from that point on. Its like a time capsule!

This was my dream car from the day. If I only had the time and a place to work....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 scirocco S barn find in classifieds Reply with quote

Nice color, Mars Rot. I had an 80 S in that color with the Sidewinder stripes. It was a daily for a while (my wife drove it while pregnant), then became the auto-x'r and I sold it. My brother bought from the guy I sold it to and did all the stuff I wasn't able to do for as a race car(tranny w/ LSD, race rubber). Then we did the 16V swap, even more fun!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: