Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Urethane Steering Coupler?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Urethane Steering Coupler? Reply with quote

I'll make it quick
I'm working to get as much play out of the steering wheel as possible.
Is a Urethane Steering Coupler available for vanagons?
I read somewhere the coupler for ghias is the same.

A few notes:
1 - I have already replaced all the couplers with new rubber ones. My old ones were old and hard and slightly worn. To be honest, it felt like the steering got a little looser... I think the fresh rubber was the root cause
2 - I'm about to install Urethane Rack Bushings, should help.
3 - When I rebuilt the front end about 35K ago, I did it complete: All bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Urethane Steering Coupler? Reply with quote

Yes, I believe same as Ghia. I recall several reports here of catastrophic failure of the urethane
version. Personally I'd be more confident with OE reinforced rubber in this application (YMMV)

- Dave

PS - Came across you already in this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Urethane Steering Coupler? Reply with quote

About a year ago, I asked Christopher at T3 Technique if he had or knew of urethane steering coupler bushings. He replied that he did not, and he thought they would ultimately be too harsh and wouldn't offer an improvement over rubber.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Urethane Steering Coupler? Reply with quote

I'd use caution on a firmer material in that location. We experimented with a variety of things at GM and were surprised how much vibration you can easily transmit to the steering wheel. You want steering feedback in force from the road but you don't want constant feedback in texture. One of the many advantages with the new electric power steering. Direct feedback from the road to the steering motor but adjustable feedback from the motor to your steering wheel.

Anyhow, proceed with caution on harder durometer in this location.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: