Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pump gasket
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boomtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

i have a gasket set with two or three different thickness gaskets for the oil pump.

What is the correct thickness for oil pump?

What would happen if I use the wrong thickness?

If I had to make a new gasket what material should be used?

Thanks in advance
David
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Thicker gasket goes between the pump body and engine case.

Thinnest (about .003") between pump body and cover.

In a pinch can make the second out of thin yellow pages paper or paper gasket material from your FLAPS.
boomtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Thicker gasket goes between the pump body and engine case.

Thinnest (about .003") between pump body and cover.

In a pinch can make the second out of thin yellow pages paper or paper gasket material from your FLAPS.

Thank you for the reply. Not sure what FLAPS is an abbreviation for but I have some old yellow pages. I've read that Gasgacinch should be applied to the gasket and the mating surface also. This info was on Youtube posted by VWdarrin and EZGZ. would you share your experience?

David
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

As long as both sealing surfaces are flat, you should not need any sealant. Using some sandpaper laid sand face up on a piece of flat glass is a good way to insure the surfaces are flat.

There is a "Dictionary" you can access by hovering your mouse cursor over the "Technical" button at the upper right of this web page, and left click on the "Dictionary" that pops up in a list. Left click on the "F" section at the top of that page and scroll down to "FLAPS".
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

it is ensure, not insure Wink

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

FLAPS - Friendly Local Auto Parts Store.

As for sealant; I usually use a thin bit of Permatex gasket sealer. I've never found it to hurt anything and like that there's something to help hold the gasket in place while the parts go back together.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:

Thanks! Smile
boomtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Sounds good and thanks for all the advise, even at my age it's good the learn something every day. Boy have I learned much durning this whole process. wish me luck as the oil pump gets reinstalled --- again.

David
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Never put sealant on pump cover as it will just squeeze into the gears and out the outside of the pump. I think it is more of a spacer for the proper clearance from the gears so use the wrong thickness and your oil pressure will drop if too thick and your cover will gall if too thin.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Everyone has an opinion. I've been using spray High Tack on oil pump covers my whole life- hundreds of them.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

VW had the opinion, to use only the original gasket which has 0.8mm/0.003". They especially address not to use any additional sealant.
The reason is, that the small oil return groove could be blocked up.

Don't forget to rotate the crank two times, with the oil pump screws slightly tightened, to align the pump. Then tighten them down with 7.37lbs for 6mm and 18.43lbs for 8mm, without shifting the pump.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

I get the non-sealant argument (it didn't come that way from the factory, can clog, etc.), but just for the record - a "light coating" of Permatex gasket sealer spray can go on really thin and is intended to hold gaskets in place during assembly, with some small added layer of sealing between gasket and surface when tightened down. I don't think anyone is recommending a thick bead of sealer that can squish out the sides when tightened down.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
mandraks wrote:

Thanks! Smile

Wait till your my age, it Depends....
boomtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Thanks to all again. I did torque the nuts to the correct specs but did not rotate by hand. Seems to be running fine at present but time will tell.

David
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Most excellent! Have fun.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Using this thread to ask this question.

How are the oil pump studs supposed to be. Are the stud holes blind such that the stud will bottom out?

I got my long block back from a rebuild and noticed the studs were at different protruding lengths.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I contacted the builder and he said the case was already like that and it was fine.

Should I double nut them and try to turn them in like the closest one? The picture doesn't really show that good but one is really far out, one next far out, one medium, and one close.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Using this thread to ask this question.

How are the oil pump studs supposed to be. Are the stud holes blind such that the stud will bottom out?

Holes go thru.

Are those the stock studs or some custom lenght all thread replacements? If the latter, turning them in might end up hitting the cam gear.

Oil pump looks like one of those that puts out too much oil flow, so you end up with too much oil pressure. Which in turn messes up the oil pressure system so oil bypasses the oil cooler most of the time, even though the oil is plenty hot enough.

Personally would pull that pump out, get a CB Maxi 2 oil filter pump, and sort out the studs.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump gasket Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Supposedly the studs are stock and original to that H block and according to the builder they were like that. The oil pump is supposedly stock style but new.

Since you say the holes are not blind I'll leave them alone. I feel so stupid; in all the time I had a case to view I never paid attention to the holes because they had studs installed, either the skinny ones or the fatter ones.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: