Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hormiga stub help needed
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
avw1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Hormiga stub help needed Reply with quote

I have a 1977 Hormiga VW truck. These were made in Mexico for 2 years, limited production. It is an aircooled 1600 with bus transmission mounted in the front, under the seat. It uses bus CV axles. The problem I am having is that over the years one of the stub axles has been replaced with a bus axle.

In the picture the bus axle is on the left and the Hormiga axle is on the right. The one on the right is the one I am trying to find. The part nearest the CV flange is longer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hormiga stub help needed Reply with quote

If you can't find the correct axle i would have a maching shop cut a spacer for It. Get a spare spacer that goes between the inner and outer bearings and have it cut down. Do not use just any steel, it has to be hardened to accept the pressure of the axle nut torque. Thats why i took a spare from a old set of trailing arms.
DWP
avw1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hormiga stub help needed Reply with quote

Thanks. I have the axles with a machinist. The spacers I will cut down are from a type 3. I will have cut piece out of the center and make my final adjustments with shim spacers. This will go between the bearings. On the flange side I will have a bus spacer cut to length and tack welded to the axle. This is only slightly smaller then the axle shoulder. This I will polish to accept the seal.

The truck was driven with no spacers and the axle nuts at 30 #. Probably for 1000s of miles.

Again, thanks for your reply.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: