Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't separate engine from trans
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottydub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Can't separate engine from trans Reply with quote

I was wrestling with it in the car, and sparayed it with penetrating oil and rocked it around like a baby. I finally gave up on that and now have both transaxle and engine out on the ground. I can't get the clutch bolts out from the starter hole, and was just wondering, before I cut them apart with a sawzall, if anyone ever had any luck with brute force?
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't separate engine from trans Reply with quote

don't mean to insult you but you did un-bolt the 4 engine mounts screws?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottydub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't separate engine from trans Reply with quote

Yes, they are all out. I've removed the engine before. My guess is that the pilot bearing is stuck. Anyone ever yanked them apart? I was thinking of trying to use a hand winch and some chains.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't separate engine from trans Reply with quote

could you remove one side cover from the trans, remove the snap ring, slide the collar on the shaft, and unscrew the shaft and then yank the two apart? just an idea, never had the problem.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't separate engine from trans Reply with quote

scottydub wrote:
Yes, they are all out. I've removed the engine before. My guess is that the pilot bearing is stuck. Anyone ever yanked them apart? I was thinking of trying to use a hand winch and some chains.

If you're sure you have all the engine/trans mounting bolts removed, this might be your last resort before plugging in the sawzall.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
scottydub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't separate engine from trans Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I can give it a try. Would it matter which side of the trans I went through?
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't separate engine from trans Reply with quote

Ive seen pictures on thesamba of people tying one end to a tree and using a tractor on the other end. I expect a come along might work.

I would think if the engine turns over you could fashion a tool to remove the the pressure plate bolts. I would expect it's stuck on the clutch disk splines.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Can't separate engine from trans Reply with quote

This is what happens when the input shaft gets rusted to the clutch disc. The clutch pressure plate bolts can be accessed through the starter hole, but you may need to bend an offset box end wrench to get the right leverage, and it takes a hell of a while to do. Unbolting one side of the diff, and separating the input shaft is a good idea also, but try the clutch disc as it's an easier job.
SD
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: