Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

57' wheel track
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: 57' wheel track Reply with quote

Does anyone have the dimensions of the front drums face to face and rear drums face to face? Are they the same dimensions as beetles? Thanks!
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 57' wheel track Reply with quote

A '57 Porsche 356 is 82.7" (2100mm) and '70 VW Bug is 95.5" (2400mm) wheel base.
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 57' wheel track Reply with quote

That's wheelbase, I'm talking width, drum to drum.
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 57' wheel track Reply with quote

Rear VW up to 66/67 were couple inches narrower than the long axle '68 up IRS transaxle plus the rear brake drums got wider. WIKI says VW width (suspect its overall to edge of running board) is 1,539 mm (60.6 in) and VW is 65.4 in (1,660 mm).
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 57' wheel track Reply with quote

Just wondering as I was looking at real speedsters vs kits and was trying to figure out what was so different. What it is is that the speedsters were actually narrower in track, fitting the tires more under the tub. I'm just trying to figure out how to replicate that the best. Narrowing a front beam would be easiest, but the rear is more tricky. I could do it with IRS but not with a swingaxle.
Jeff
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 57' wheel track Reply with quote

Early '55 Speedsters had 16" rims (suspect 4' wide). Later went to 15 x 4.5" rims with 560x15 or 155x15 tires. Thant makes them look spindly and doesn't give great handling - but with 60-90 hp and swing axle rear - probably good not to have great traction. Go over to SpeedsterOwners.com and check some of cars out there - many were 911 15-16" Fuchs on classic bodies and 17" on wide bodies. I have a CMC classic body on a '71 VW IRS pan with 4 bolt 5.5x15" Porsche 914 Fuchs and 185/65x15 Bridgestone Potenza tires. Not a fan of open wheel wells so added a 3/8" spacer to front (also clears brake caliper and axle cap better). Many use drop spindles in front which increases width .5 inches per side. On the rear of mine I still have OEM drum brakes. I have very little clearance (especially drivers side) between tire and outer wheel well. The old swing axle stance is about 1" narrower per side. To replicate a '57 Speedster many go to the old wide five wheels. They come in 4.5 and 5.5" widths - so the 4.5 would be most accurate. You can even by aluminum covers for the VW brake drums/discs called "wheel skinz" to make brakes look like the old aluminum 356 brake drums. A replica with the wide fives looks pretty authentic from 10' until you notice the VW shifter tunnel, tunnel handbrake and lack of rust bubbles in lower doors and fenders. A lowered IRS VW pan with 4 wheel disc brakes, anti sway bars F&R, 5.5" Fuchs, and a 2110 cc engine outperforms even a newly restored $200k Speedster --- and you aren't afraid to drive it.
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 57' wheel track Reply with quote

I sold a Fiberfab 356 on a 70' pan a few months ago. Always thought the track looked too wide. It was on 15 x 5.5 rims too. (165 XZX tires.) I have some dimensions. I'll post them here later.
Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: