Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shurflo faucet failure
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

So my two year old shurflo faucet started to leak horribly from the pivet portion that allows it to go up and down. Really sucks because it leaks pretty bad even when the water is only slightly turned on. Its basically shot. Called the shurflo customer service and they said it can not be taken apart and repaired, also warranty is only 1 year, so screwed there. Anyone else experience this failure? It just happened at the beginning of a week long camp trip. We had to wrap paper towels around it to use it. Under the sink is my blueseas fuse box and deep cycle batt, so having it leak and drip down was a no no. Went through two rolls of paper towels in order to use it for a week. I held on to the original delta 6 faucet and will reinstall that. Seems like a stupid failure on a design that is supposed to swivel :/
I doubt I will kick down another $40 on a new one, pretty dissapointed on this. It was used a lot in the two years I had it but c'mon, not enough for it to fail already
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

I'm surprised that they're not working with you on that.

When I installed my Shurflo (bought it from GoWesty), I goofed and severed the wires that operated the pump. I emailed them (or whoever it is that imports them to the US) and asked if there was a way to dismantle the unit in order to solder new wires in. They emailed back saying "it's not serviceable but we'll just send you a new one". They didn't even ask for proof of purchase.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Anyone else experience this failure?

In April, mine will have been installed for 6 years. Still going strong (knock on wood).

It's a shame Shurflo doesn't have a better warranty, or won't at least give you a discount on a new one. Confused
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

This exact leak just happened to my Shurflo this weekend. Really annoying to find this out when you've already started camping!
I just held a rag tight around the leaking area and used the tap sparingly but it still leaked a bit into the cabinet. I might but some sealant around that metal disc piece.
I got my Shurflo in 2012 and promptly sold my original Delta Six. Guess I'll be springing for a new Shurflo, unless any better faucets have come on the market?

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
This exact leak just happened to my Shurflo this weekend. Really annoying to find this out when you've already started camping!
I just held a rag tight around the leaking area and used the tap sparingly but it still leaked a bit into the cabinet. I might but some sealant around that metal disc piece.
I got my Shurflo in 2012 and promptly sold my original Delta Six. Guess I'll be springing for a new Shurflo, unless any better faucets have come on the market?

Thats a bummer to hear. i went back to the delta 6 after my failure and have been using it with no problems ever since. Its the og delta 6 too btw. For the money i dont think the shurflo is worth it with these types of failures. Like yourself, mine failure happened on a lengthy camping trip and did the same thing as you with a rag wrapped around it. Super annoying
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
84Cabby82Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

I had exactly the same thing happen with mine after 3 years. I replaced it with a new Shurflow and keeping my fingers crossed. As with everyone else, it was the 1st night of a 2 week trip.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

I sent an email to Shurflo customer service with a video clip showing the problem but, as Phil Collins said, "there's no reply at all".
I researched alternatives but couldn't find anything promising, so after checking the usual vendors I found Amazon had the best price on a replacement Shurflo plus free shipping, and much to my surprise my new faucet actually arrived on Sunday!
I did consider reverting back to Delta Six for the reliability but I prefer the style of the Shurflo so fingers crossed it works for a few years. I hope I don't have to deal with their customer service. Evil or Very Mad

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

I wonder what you are running for a pump? Not that I think that should matter much but people like that you can turn the flow on only a tiny bit to conserve water and doing this means the pump pressure build up on the faucet. I think we have 7 vans still in the family with Surflo faucets. Had several more in vans that are now passed on to new owners. Never had an issue with any of them afaik. I'd guess we have something like 100 years of Shurflo faucet ownership. I have more than 50 years myself.

Mark
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

Dave,

do you have the link to the Amazon replacement? I see several similar models in it (mine seems to have started leaking today while camping at the North Cascades).

Hugo

photogdave wrote:
I sent an email to Shurflo customer service with a video clip showing the problem but, as Phil Collins said, "there's no reply at all".
I researched alternatives but couldn't find anything promising, so after checking the usual vendors I found Amazon had the best price on a replacement Shurflo plus free shipping, and much to my surprise my new faucet actually arrived on Sunday!
I did consider reverting back to Delta Six for the reliability but I prefer the style of the Shurflo so fingers crossed it works for a few years. I hope I don't have to deal with their customer service. Evil or Very Mad

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)

Last edited by pnwkayaker on Mon May 28, 2018 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

I have the original style pump that came with the van, still going strong after 38 yrs!
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I wonder what you are running for a pump?
Mark

Just the stock in-tank pump.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
Dave,

do you have the link to the Amazon replacement? I see several similar models in it (mine seems to have started leaking today while camping at the North Cascades).

Hugo

\

Hi Hugo,

Of course I ordered mine from Amazon Canada ( Wink ) but here's the link:
https://www.amazon.ca/SHURflo-94-009-10-White-Elec...ds=shurflo

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

Perfect, thanks! I still need to confirm that the faucet is the culprit of the leak I'm seeing, but it's the most likely suspect.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
jmillsj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

This happened to me on the first night of our trip this weekend. Leaking from the base. I found if I tilt the faucet down into the sink when not in use it won’t leak into the cab8net below. My replacement options aren’t great. Will probably go with another shurflo and will buy a spare to keep in the Westy for when it fails again.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

Here's a post on Sureflo disassembly to get at the switch. I didn't have to disassemble it more but this may give you a head start on attempting a repair...

jimf909 wrote:
Just as I was about to bypass the Sureflo faucet switch with a separate foot switch I decided to attempt a repair. The tech at Sureflo said the faucet can’t be repaired and should be tossed if it doesn’t work. However, having dissected the previous Shurflo that failed last year I had some idea on how to take it apart:

Separate the knob from the faucet with a solid whack on a screwdriver positioned here. Remember, this is designed to NOT come apart. The first faucet I disassembled ended up looking much worse.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clean the blackened contacts...

File down the knob retaining nubs to make future disassembly a hand-to-knob, no tools required affair...

Reassemble. Add an SAE plug to the faucet and van wiring harness to make future disassembly easy.

As to why two Sureflo faucets failed for me in less than a year:
- It’s not current draw while pumping water through the system, I read about 2.5 amps, similar to davevickery and w/in the switch’s 3 amp rating.
- My best guess is that a piece of the pump impeller broke and jammed the pump increasing current load (the impeller appears to be missing a part of itself). If it was a faulty Sureflo product I’m guessing we’d hear about more failures.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Here's a post on Sureflo disassembly to get at the switch. I didn't have to disassemble it more but this may give you a head start on attempting a repair...

Just had this failure happen. Tried to copy your fix but I broke the switch contact when I was putting the knob back on! Evil or Very Mad

Not keen on ordering a third ShitFlo...has anyone discovered a nice alternative?

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

si2t3m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

You have a missing part in the picture with the red circle. A very small metal part that connects the long arm to the small arm. It gets pushed by the tabs in the faucet knob that pushes on the long arm and makes contact with the fixed arm
76 Westfalia EZ30D
72 911 Targa
70 914-6 conversion
69 Ghia convertible
68 912 coupe
67 912/911 coupe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

Since I started this thread 7 years ago thought Id chime in. As stated in my original post in 2016, I reinstalled my original to my westy Delta6 faucet after the failure with the Shurflo, and guess what? Its still working perfectly! Deltasix for the win! Never even considered rebuying another Shurflo.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Since I started this thread 7 years ago thought Id chime in. As stated in my original post in 2016, I reinstalled my original to my westy delta6 faucet after the failure with the surflo, and guess what? Its still working perfectly! Deltasix for the win! Never even considered rebuying another sureflo.

I’ve never considered installing another Shurflo either. Mostly because mine is still working since I last posted in this thread soon after it as started. Luck of the draw I suppose.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet failure Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
I’ve never considered installing another Shurflo either. Mostly because mine is still working since I last posted in this thread soon after it as started. Luck of the draw I suppose.

Ditto. In the 12 years I've had the Shurflo, I've replaced the pump twice... once out at the Grand Canyon. Mad
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: