Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sanchius and Tuna ride again...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Our favorite summer activity, find an unused service road to park on, open the hatch & slider and stretch out in the back to read papers in prep for next week's ASCE meeting while Tuna stalks mice in the tall grass.

Yeah, it's one of my goto reading spots, the same place as this post.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Took a look at the pictures of that spot (or nearly so) and it brought back some good memories! Funny how things go in circles. I couldn't help feeling proud of my own daughter taking my Flossie to prom last year, pix included a few away from yours, on that same page you referenced.

Good to see how things keep rolling along. I hope to be out to CO to visit a friend in Golden, hope to look you up on that roll!
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:

Sanchius, I have the same wheels for my ride as well. I haven't gotten around to installing them, but I know I'm going to have to bore out the center for fitment. Are you using a method of opening them up at home or will you bring them to a wheel shop/machine shop?

Looking good so far!

Eddie

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

If you don't have the tires mounted, then I recommend taking them to a machinist to be bored out.

Since I already have the tires mounted, I am boring them out myself. For my old syncro, only a little material needed to be removed to clear the inner front hub. I did that with a hole saw and a plywood template.

For the 2WD, a lot more material needs to be removed to clear the front axle protrusion. I was afraid I was going to break my arm using the hole saw with a high torque drill when the hole saw would grab on the soft aluminum and wrench the drill out of my grip. So I did it with a router and a small bearing bit. There's some good YouTube videos on how to do it. It makes a real mess with chips flying everywhere, but it works better than the hole saw method.

I had to use longer rear studs and wheel spacers fore and aft to clear stuff like the tire rod ends. I'll also be converting the front to studs because putting the wheel on with bolts is such a PITA.
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
If you don't have the tires mounted, then I recommend taking them to a machinist to be bored out.

Since I already have the tires mounted, I am boring them out myself. For my old syncro, only a little material needed to be removed to clear the inner front hub. I did that with a hole saw and a plywood template.

For the 2WD, a lot more material needs to be removed to clear the front axle protrusion. I was afraid I was going to break my arm using the hole saw with a high torque drill when the hole saw would grab on the soft aluminum and wrench the drill out of my grip. So I did it with a router and a small bearing bit. There's some good YouTube videos on how to do it. It makes a real mess with chips flying everywhere, but it works better than the hole saw method.

I had to use longer rear studs and wheel spacers fore and aft to clear stuff like the tire rod ends. I'll also be converting the front to studs because putting the wheel on with bolts is such a PITA.

Awesome, thanks for the response! I hope to get mine on later this year. I'll research the router method as I have one at my disposal. I was going to contact T3 Technique for some spacers, lugs and bolts as well.

Have fun and keep the build going!

Eddie

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
sanchius wrote:

Awesome, thanks for the response! I hope to get mine on later this year. I'll research the router method as I have one at my disposal. I was going to contact T3 Technique for some spacers, lugs and bolts as well.

Have fun and keep the build going!

Eddie

Eddie, as an alternative to boring the wheels, you can have the front rotor/hub turned to allow the wheels to bolt on. This also gives it a true hub-centric surface for the wheels to slide onto.
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:

Eddie, as an alternative to boring the wheels, you can have the front rotor/hub turned to allow the wheels to bolt on. This also gives it a true hub-centric surface for the wheels to slide onto.

Interesting! So instead of milling 4 rims to the same size I only would have to mill 2 front hubs and call it a day?

I would definitely want to bring that to a shop then. Now I just need to find a local shop in Western Mass.

Thanks for the tips guys!

BTW, I believe your neighbor is my step dad over there across the border. But that's another story for a different thread. Smile

Eddie

Dude, where's your van?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:

Interesting! So instead of milling 4 rims to the same size I only would have to mill 2 front hubs and call it a day?

I would definitely want to bring that to a shop then. Now I just need to find a local shop in Western Mass.

Thanks for the tips guys!

BTW, I believe your neighbor is my step dad over there across the border. But that's another story for a different thread. Smile

Eddie

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419243&highlight=passat+wheels

buy the spacers and correct lugs from T3

http://www.t3technique.com/
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Is Tuna that big, beautiful fur machine in the passenger seat??
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Is Tuna that big, beautiful fur machine in the passenger seat??

Yes, glad you asked... The amount of fur these things generate is absolutely amazing.
Her actual name is Luna, but her show siblings are named "Tsomethingpretentious of the Midnight Sun", we call her Tuna of the Midnight Sun

see also:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6839893#6839893
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7017194#7017194
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7026703#7026703
http://forums.quattroworld.com/v8/msgs/13311.phtml
http://forums.quattroworld.com/9080/msgs/43246.phtml

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

A nice Saturday.

In the morning, Tunes and I went to Cars-n-Coffee with my son, then I went down and wrenched on my friend Bob's Jag race car for a couple hours.
Once it became clear that we'd been sent the wrong size replacement fuel cell, we downwrenched and headed over to the Toad microbrewery in Golden for Amber ales and lamb fajitas from the tacowagon there.

Since I was already in Golden and I had my tool bag with me, I concluded this would be a good opportunity to stretch the legs on the new bus with a drive in the mountains.

So Tuna and I headed Clear Creek canyon out of Golden with the goal of getting to the ghost town of Nevadaville.

Everything went well until the big climb out of Central City up to Nevadaville, where the temp gauge pegged and I got an oil buzzer.
I've never heard the main radiator fan run, so it looks like I have some debugging to do there.
I turned it back around downhill to let it cool down and headed north on the gentler Peak-to-Peak highway to Nederland, watching the temp gauge closely.

Things were fine and we soaked up the high mountain scenery until we arrived at Ned where we stopped for some provisions,

Then we went along Barker Reservoir towards Boulder Canyon...

On the way down Boulder Canyon, we pulled off onto one of the side roads to park and read/nap for a couple hours next to the babbling mountain stream.

Then we packed up and headed home.

All in all, it was a wonderful day and it was nice to start to return to normalcy after a couple years of intense eldercare.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

It was time for a new 3-window tent for the 2WD.

Since I preferred the white poptop on the '87 4WD wreck over the light tan one on the '86 2WD, we swapped pop-tops between the two while we were at it.

It was a lot of work.

macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Glad you are getting some vanagon normalcy, Sanchius. I went through a version of the elder care parent cycle a few years ago and it can be consuming and rewarding.
It was a little toasty today in the front range to be out in the sun working with a top. The new tent will be nice, I bet. Hope you can get a cooler day to put in the 22374 screws for the canvas if you didn't already..
And I do like the look of those wheels!
Bike as primary transportation
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Love this thread! It's great to again see pics of Tuna, your van and the places y'all go!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Drove up to the NCAR Mesa Lab this morning to catch a seminar on future exa/zettascale supercomputing, networks and data.

Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Great to see you back in action! I'll keep an eye out for you around town.

-Chad

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

It was a beautiful, still, cool, early summer Saturday morning.

So we took the day off, loaded up the bikes, drove into Boulder, parked in the shade, and biked around the quiet neighborhoods before going downtown for brunch.

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

It was a good weekend to work on the Westy.

Saturday I picked up a spare rear hub to start the process of renewing the rear wheel bearings & CV's with a minimum of down time.

Later, I carried out some rust stabilization before fitting some new exterior bits I got for Fathers Day, then treated it to a well deserved bath.

Sunday afternoon we spent a couple relaxing hours tuning up the cruiser bikes at Boulder's wonderful Community Bikes co-op.

The new van is starting to come together, but I'm running out of easy things to upgrade. The next bits are going to be more difficult.

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

After work, we grabbed a pizza and drove out to an overlook to enjoy the sunset.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

I love this thread, it's great to see all the action going on out there!

I'd like to ask a couple questions, based on what I am seeing in your photos:

1: Your images suggest you have a knack for photography; Are you professionally trained, or otherwise a professional photographer? I'd love to shoot like you can!

2: The color of your van, is that LP7Y Flash Silver? And if so, what have you found as your touchup paint solution?

Keep the great thread alive, thanks!

-bobby
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 50

Jump to: