Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sanchius and Tuna ride again...
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

If you had ten more Huskies you dont need the Jeep

woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof woof
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
Awesome thread, beautiful van...
Just curious -- the ticking lifter, did the oil change take care of it, or was it something else? Thanks!

Thanks! Since fixing the vacuum leak, I'm very happy with the strength of this 2.2 WBX.
The break-in oil I drained out looked fine, no swarf or glitter.
However, even with the 15w/50, it still just doesn't yet have the happy WBX purr I'm looking for.

The noise seems more center than on the sides, so I'm thinking of first swapping my old oil pump back in to see if all the rework I did on the new high-capacity OP is causing the issue. Then going through the new lifters to see if any are weak. The final step would be to do a very basic build up my spare block + heads and drop that in to keep the van up and running while doing a tear-down of the 2.2 WBX. I'm done with always having my Westy offline for some extended fix just as spring rolls in.

--

This weekend the mountains were calling.

When going up to Donner Summit chasing powder after big storms, I've learned to wait a day for the long line of chained up semi's, who'd been stuck on the East side of the pass for a day or two, to finish crawling up the pass. Otherwise the normal 30min drive takes 2.5 hours.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But this time it had gotten so sunny and warm up on top that I ended up getting stuck hard in a low melty icy spot in the parking area.
I have to work on my getting unstuck game as all this did was shoot the beach towel forward.
I had chains on board if necessary, but it was easier to swallow my pride and get a Jeep to pull me up to firmer ground.

Tunes and I descended to a spot I knew we could get out of and parked to walk around a bit and take in the vista before heading down to town to meet Mrs S for a pint at the Brewers Cabinet Production Facility.

Last edited by sanchius on Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Awesome thread, beautiful van...

Just curious -- the ticking lifter, did the oil change take care of it, or was it something else? Thanks!
1990 Carat "SportVan" [RIP #CarrFire]
1987 Syncro "Miles" [RIP #CarrFire]
1987 Syncro "Boz" - Bostig/FrontRunner/Decoupler/BFG/LED/LMNOP [Sold]
1989 Delica L300 4x4 [Sold]
1986 Weekender "Birch"
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Hoof, said the Husky.....
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

I pulled the slider latch again and cleaned up the dodgy looking lower rear latch hook. It helped some, but I'm not done.
The slider door still popped open, though it was quite a bit further down the road than before. I'm getting closer.

I knocked off another project. Out with the old...

...and in with the new special delivery from T3Technique.
The HD endlink made a difference I could really feel improving the side-to-side stability.

On the off-road portion of the test drive we came across a herd of wild horses...

...which Tuna is always fascinated with.

Unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough with the camera to catch the big freight train and the bald eagles that we also came across.
The big lead sorrel was unusually friendly.

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

This weekend I finally had a block of time to do some much needed maintenance.

While I renewed the rear brake pads in Mrs S's Acura (1st things 1st), I drained the Westy's WBX 30-weight dino engine rebuild break-in oil and refilled it with the rich Mobile-1 syn 15w-50 oil I prefer to run. That sure helped improve the hot idle oil pressure, which had been lower than I liked with the 30-weight oil.

My alternator light had been glowing faintly at high revs, which usually indicates worn alternator bushes.
These bushes are very easy to replace with just two screws on the back of the alternator.
I grabbed a good set of bushes off my spare alternator and installed them, which fixed the problem.

I added a clamp to the ISV hose as I suspected it was leaking a bit of vacuum where it attached.

While I was in there, I noticed that the throttle cable seemed pretty slack.
I checked if the throttle was completely open when the gas pedal was fully depressed.
I found that it wasn't and that I was giving away the top 15% of my throttle!
I was never triggering the WFO TPS close and never telling the ECU to go into Open-Loop at full WFO throttle!
That too, was easy to correct.

Finally, I swapped in the proper 2WD air intake book for the too-tall Syncro boot that I had mistakenly installed after the rebuild (full write-up here).

The end result was a van restored.
It now starts much quicker than before and pulls to full-rev with alacrity.
That was a morning well spent.

But then the slider popped open again during the test drive...
Looks like I need to revisit that rear sliding door latch yet again.

But, that'll have to wait for another time.
The sun was shining and it was time to get out of the garage.
With the slider strapped closed, we hustled up into the high country to celebrate the new snow that arrived yesterday,

and wore Tunes out snowshoeing in the fresh powder for a couple hours.

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
...Maybe I should just build it in my living room, you think Mrs. Black would be mad about that? Would Mrs. Sanchius have been?

Experience would suggest that there might be better battles to choose to engage yourself in.
Here, that would seriously abrogate a long-standing and successful facility use agreement the two of us have worked out over the years.
Having lived through too many cold/long Iowa winters myself, if it was me, I would focus my efforts on insulating, powering, lighting, and heating my garage Very Happy.
See: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/ -> GrainBelt Garage - A Guy in Iowa and His Stuff

bobbyblack wrote:
Btw: is the cam-lifter face lube/break-in compound the main reason a first oil change needs done right away, or is it just a general thing regardless of that? Is that stuff sticky or clingy enough to make it through the first change?

I don't really know. I'll leave it to more experienced builders to answer.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Sweet numbers!!! I'm still gathering parts (still need to spec the case and crank for bearings), looking forward to when my garage warms back up above 35F to start!! My RJE stage 2 heads are taunting me Wink Maybe I should just build it in my living room, you think Mrs. Black would be mad about that? Would Mrs. Sanchius have been?

Btw: is the cam-lifter face lube/break-in compound the main reason a first oil change needs done right away, or is it just a general thing regardless of that? Is that stuff sticky or clingy enough to make it through the first change?

-bobby
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Yes, I can live with these 2/2021 post-rebuild compression numbers now that I have a couple hundred miles on the engine.

12/29/19 pre-rebuild measurements for comparison.

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

While I was messing with the slider door, I knocked off a little project that I've been meaning to get to for a long time.

I usually keep a small flashlight in the cubby under the driver's seat, but I usually forget about it and rarely check if the battery is still good. So I mounted a flashlight holder to the lower dash in a very visible and easily accessible location.

The silver/black push button next to it operated the big air horns under my old Syncro, which were not transferred to my 2WD, much to the relief of jay-walking pedestrians and right-of-way-violating motorists everywhere who no longer get launched to the moon when they do careless/dangerous things in front of me.

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

To wrap up my slider door project, I ordered a set of new slider door roller bearings and rear latch springs from GoWesty.

In going through their instructions and comparing their picture with my non-latching latch, it looks like my initial fix of squaring off the upper hook was correct and the subsequent nonlatching problem may have been self inflicted. I used the wrong perch for the upper spring when I reassembled it last week making the spring much stronger, which would explain why it wouldn't latch all the way when I reinstalled it. The boneyard latch, which did work, used the correct spring perch.

Once I reinstalled my original latch with the new springs indexed correctly, the slider door latched easily and perfectly, though I haven't had a chance to road test it yet to see if it says latched when moving.

Installing all new slider door rollers made a great improvement and returned the sliding door to a much quieter state where it could be easily opened/closed with one finger. GoWesty has some nice videos on doing this.

If you do this, note that there are slightly different sized spring clips for some of bearings (you can see the spring clip groove near the top of the 2nd, bare, bearing post below). The big bottom door roller uses a very small clip. So both retain and mark the size of all the old spring clips as you remove them.

Some of the old rollers came right off and others, like this one, required drastic measures after defeating my normal bearing pullers. This door bearing was really stuck on and only released with a big BANG! after I put a bunch of pressure on the retasked ball-joint separator.

I'm really happy with how smoothly and easily the sliding door operates now and I regret not doing this a long time ago.

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Little bit more depth of field but thatís tough with the shutter speed needed to capture the Dee of Chick. I managed to get hummingbirds at my feeder this year in SLO-mo mode, 200 FPS
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

We had a beautifully calm and clear day, so I took Mrs S snowshoeing up to Chickadee Ridge to show it to her. It was lots of fun.
I tried reproducing a pro shot of a chickadee landing there (inset) with my camera (background) in burst mode.
While it's clear I have a lot to learn about shutter speed and f-stops, I was happy to just get one in frame for my first try.
It was also nice having to bus to chill out in and sit in back sharing post-outing tacos with Tuna before getting on the road back to Reno.

Tunes sure loved the fresh powder. She'll sleep well tonight.

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Wow! That photo by the bridge in Germany is fabulous! Thanks, Sanchius.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Slider Latch: Thanks for all the great suggestions. I've ordered a new set of springs to test on the old latch, as well as a new set of rollers since the originals are a bit crunchy. I'll also examine the latch hook to see if it needs more metal added. I'll report on the results once they arrive and I get them installed.

Chickadees: Since the Husky word for chickadee translates to "delicious light snack", I kept Tunes secured to a nearby tree while feeding the birds. She was quite animated and husky vocal in expressing her displeasure with the situation to the great amusement of the other folks who were up there at the time.

African Queen update: We are nearly finished with the first iteration of the basic African Queen Project website, while The Queen rests safely on display in the national Air Force Museum for the winter. Now our attention turns to finishing the non-profit business plan, defining and starting the STEM education & veterans service programs, setting up a Jeep GPW restoration summer school class with the local community college, and exploring how to apply for philanthropic/foundation support for the project. We recently received a group of extra images from the magazine shoot 18 months ago and there are some real beauties in there.

1943 White M16A2 with ammunition trailer.
(Photo credit: Gary Kessler http://www.kesslerphotography.com)

M16A2 defending the Ludendorff Bridge during the Allied breakout over the Rhine at Ramagden, March 1945.
(Photo credit: U.S. Army)
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

That's awesome! My girlfriend would go nuts about feeding birds by hand.

Do you think that the worn latch just didn't have the height to catch anymore? Even if it was the right profile? Maybe some beads of weld to add metal might work.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing Tuna.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The West Coast Westy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

The last time I got chickadees to hand feed was at Tifft Farm in Buffalo!

If you put two sided tape on your hand, you get a free Husky snack!

Woof woof woof
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Out here, everyone waits for the big snowstorms to come through, then heads for the mountains to play in the fresh powder.
Having lived in a ski town in my youth and skied more than enough for a normal lifetime, my winter sport of choice now is snowshoeing.
It had been dumping in the high country for the past week, so now was the time to get up there and enjoy it.

Early this morning I put Tuna in the van and pointed it uphill to the Tahoe Meadows trailhead just over the Mt Rose Summit.

There we parked and snowshoed through the new powder, the light wind becoming dead calm once we hit the pines.
Tunes was sporting her blue pack harness today so she could carry in her water & snacks and pack out her dog waste to keep the watershed clean.

Tuna loves to pull, so much so that I refer to her as The Escalator, which makes ascending much easier.
We climbed and climbed through the pines and eventually crested the ridge-line that overlooks Lake Tahoe.

The cool thing about this place, "Chickadee Ridge", is that if you hold some birdseed in your hand, flocks of little chickadees will fly up and perch on your hand to eat the seed.
It was so wholesome and cute it put me in a great mood for the whole day.

All done, we trekked back to the van, stopping for a picture on the way back over the Mt Rose Summit.
Then we headed down the mountain into Reno, where an exhausted Tunes spent the rest of the afternoon napping in her chair.
There's another burst of snow inbound for early this week, so I wouldn't be surprised if we're back up here later in this week.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Fantastic photos and thank you for positive view of the future! I need all the help I can get. Smile

I'm curious about your rear latch and wonder if I'm having a similar issue. Mine shuts but doesn't fully seat unless I push in on the back when closing.

EDIT: I wonder if your springs were worn out? GW sells this little kit:

https://www.gowesty.com/product/-/23924/sliding-door-latch-spring-replacement-kit-?v=

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0
'85 928S
'19 Golf R
'02 Beetle GLS

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 31

Jump to: