Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sanchius and Tuna ride again...
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Click here: To show newest posts on top

This is a continuation of a story that begins here: Sanchius: The Syncro Years (2008-2017)

With summer coming, I picked up a project '86 2WD Westy to replace my wrecked SyncroWesty.
This will be the thread on our adventures driving and rebuilding it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by sanchius on Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:52 am; edited 3 times in total
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
Popcorn

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Rock on! Cool Keep us posted...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Right on, right on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3vlj8mUiPA

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Looks like mine with the multicolor paint jobs. Musta seen some action round the back there. That quarter has the signs of a new and possibly plastic panel. Its not gonna stop ya from having many happy miles pass below your wheels. So many roads to ease your soul.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Congratulations. And I see you are going for the slow built up shag interior look too. Laughing
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Hey, great news!! Welcome to your new member of the family!!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Yaaay!!! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Cool! What does Tuna think of the new van?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

We've had our hands full taking two highly valued and respected elderly parents through their final journeys, trying to make sure it was as beautiful and fulfilling as possible, so there hasn't been much time for adventures, upgrades to the new 2WD or posting anything.

With the second hospital/hospice/funeral/burial behind us, the new 2WD was called into service when our whole clan descended for the services and then pitched in to clear their condo.
With the rear cabinets removed and the jump seat out, there was a tremendous amount of space inside, saving us the hassle of renting a moving van.

The sharp eye will see that I'm halfway through converting to the 15" Audi 5000 alloys from the 4WD, with the 15's on the back and stock 14's on the front.
This involved swapping in the long-stud drums from the wreck onto the 2WD.
365 ft-lbs! Good thing we added this tool in the inventory last year, which made it very easy.
I have to do some more wheel boring so that they will fit onto the front.

Last edited by sanchius on Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Hello Sanchius
Glad to see you have another Westy! Life is not the same when you don't have one. I'm not sure where I was back in Sept? I missed the thread about your Syncro. That was a tough wreck. I'm happy you're ok and getting out!
Congratulations
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Sanchius, You did great by your parents. Awesome karma, may the rest of your life be well. Enjoy Westy travels again. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
PopTopDreamer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Congrats!! Your new ride looks great!
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. How we handle the end of life reflects on how we live our life. M

Another of my favorite road trip songs.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=63xekRY8dJo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Looks like another fun project and the pup seems pretty happy to be once again riding in the front seat. Can't be cooler than that. Congrats.

Craig
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Congrats on the new van!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Off to the local library this evening to pick up "The Three Body Problem" by Cixin Liu that my publisher sister recommended, then grab a pizza to have with our movie tonight.

The new 2WD Westy is slowly coming together.
I have the front fogs and 15" wheels from the Syncro fitted now and I like how it sits;
high enough for most trails I would want to go on without being a jacked-up liability.

There's still so much to do: repair the seam rust, clean up the pop-top, even out the blacks on the front grills, bore out all the rims so I can rotate them as needed, and much, much more.

But the bottom line is that I've got a Westy to play with and it's going to be ready for summer.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Hey, same color Smile

Glad to see you back on the road Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

One of my daughters and her gentleman friend heading out on a Cinco de Mayo adventure.

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

I've been too busy to do much with the new Vanagon recently.
So, it has been really nice that it has been starting and running extremely well.
It performed flawlessly for my daughter last weekend for an extended camping trip with a friend to celebrate her graduation.
It's also been good for local pizza runs, here parked next to a Smart Car for scale

However, it didn't perform flawlessly for me when I drove it into work the other day after the recent big spring snowstorm here.
I was about halfway in when the engine began stumbling and hesitating as if it had dropped a cylinder.
I crawled it through the busy intersection at 1/4 power and pulled into a lot to see what was going on.
I popped the engine lid and it was barely running with an uneven lopping idle.
Fortunately there were no expensive noises, spewing liquids or any other unpleasant things immediately visible.

The transition from running well to poorly had occurred so abruptly that it pointed to an electrical problem.
Since it was still running, I ruled out the weak-link ignition switch; it felt like some sort of fuel/air mixture issue.
I checked for vacuum leaks and didn't find anything amiss.

I pulled the idle stabilizer connector, the engine immediately died.
When reconnected, the engine restarted and idled poorly as before.
That's probably not it.

I unplugged the O2 sensor and the idle immediately evened out. Ah Ha!
I followed the wire back and saw that the O2 wire insulation had abraded away where it passed through the engine tin and was grounding out.
I repositioned the wire relieving the tension, wrapped it in electrical tape and drove the rest of the way in without incident.

Yes, I got lucky that it was something so obvious, but it's sure nice knowing how to diagnose & fix these things on the fly.

The seam rust and the two-tone rear-quarter paint means there will be some bodywork in my future.
However, the body is basically very sound and I'm focusing on slowly getting it into mechanical shape before taking on the bodywork.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 50

Jump to: