Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sanchius and Tuna ride again...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Ouch!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Well, two great things.

1 no one hurt

2 totally driveable and usable In all functions until she is restored to glory
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

I hope that doesn't reflect poorly on the rest of us Indiana drivers Embarassed So sorry about one of our idiots. Hopefully you can find a good shop to do the repairs properly. Not many vanagons on the road in this state.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

damn. you’ve had more than your share of bad luck with crappy drivers.

glad you’re okay, if understandably shaken a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Did I read that right as a motorcycle glance off? Fits the vinjuries pretty well. Hope the rider was ok.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Saturday morning we went to the Lafayette downtown Farmer's Market to pick up fresh meat, veg, and desert for an all farmer's market dinner that evening. We got lucky and found a parking space right off the market street.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This one has been going for awhile and it was very busy this morning.

A couple locals promised we wouldn't be disappointed with their chops. Further down we picked up morning fresh green beans, scallions, apples for sauce, and a sugar-baby watermelon.

The Knickerbocker has enjoyed the custom of many notables over the years, ranging from Ulysses S. Grant and Mark Twain to Al Capone and Neil Armstrong. Legend has it that Ulysses S. Grant so overenjoyed his drink here during his campaign whistle stop that he missed his train out and had to chase it down with another locomotive.

The morning was still young, so I headed out for the nearby Clegg Gardens hiking trails, similar to the Nature Conservancy, which preserves lands from development.

Their hiking path took me on the bluffs above Wildcat Creek, overlooking thousands of mature oak trees.

Back in Nevada, Tunes is having fun with her Uncle Ken...

and getting in her evening walks.

coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

^^^^amazing photograph - definitely wall material.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

While house hunting, I'm temporarily staying in a decaying old mansion on an acreage overlooking town, which started out as a french vineyard and cheese farm in 1830s. Its other claim to fame is that Abraham Lincoln stayed here at some point. The nice part is that the overlook is perfect for sitting in the shade in the afternoon in my reclining camp chairs I keep up in the rocket box to catch up on email or to read papers.

Around town, I came across some nice bird murals.

I also got a $5k quote for fixing the motorcycle damage, which I'll take care of as soon as I get some spare time.

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Enjoying fall in the Midwest, lots of activities and pretty trees.

Feast of the Hunter's Moon, a re-creation of the annual fall gathering of the French and Native Americans which took place Fort Ouiatenon, a fur-trading outpost in the mid – 1700s just outside of town a few weeks ago.

Still life with Tuna, exhausted after helping Mrs S pack up the NV house in prep for the move here at the end of the month.

steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

What is the crystal ball knick knack? And where do I get one?
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Hang in their little Husky. Home soon.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

It was slated to be a beautiful, calm, warm, and sunny fall weekend, so I packed up the van early Saturday morning and headed to the west central Indiana Covered Bridge Festival. I quickly came across some local color.

The drive down was stunning; the morning air crisp and clean, the hardwood trees at peak and simply gorgeous in the bright sunshine, and the road winding through the beautiful wooded river valleys, with many large turkey buzzards lazily soaring on the thermals overhead looking for breakfast.

But, alas, it turned out my festival-fu was weak and I was in way over my head. The first covered bridge I went to was so overwhelmingly jammed with thousands of visitors, whirlybird rides, funnel cakes, deep fried pies, all centered around a massive charmless junque flea market encased in a choking dust cloud permeated with the cloying smell of spun sugar and hot fry oil, that I noped right out of there without stopping or even taking any pictures. I don't know exactly what I was expecting a covered bridge festival to be, but i knew for certain that this wasn't anything I was remotely interested in investing a couple hours of my precious time off experiencing on such a fine day. I was later told that these twice per year festivals are both high points in the local annual social calendar and an important economic replacement in this area for many now-vanished coal mining jobs.

I fled to the solitude of the nearby Terra Haute regional airport to get recentered and saw this beauty.

After that traumatic experience, a quiet lunch and a restorative nap along the Wabash were in order as well.

Then I bravely headed back into the fray, but this time sticking to the deep twisty back roads that I hoped weren't big tourist destinations and, by chance, came across this tidy covered bridge.

There were exactly two other people there, just my speed.

The insides reveals its barn roots.

And just a bit further down the road was a smaller covered bridge. Zero people, even better...

I did have an outstanding geographic challenge from my younger brother to take a picture of the van with the Sherman Tank at the Attica VFW post that I was able to get checked off.

And then it was back up to Lafayette for golden hour conversation over dinner and a glass of wine on the porch overlooking town with the folks I am staying with, watching the brilliant fall colors slowly shift to dark as the sun set in the west.

Last edited by sanchius on Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:16 am; edited 3 times in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Juxtaposition of Art form, transportation mode, and crossed points in History

You are indeed Sensei
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

That's some tank! The Sherman isn't bad either.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Well, Tuna survived the bear attack that's had her sidelined for the past couple months...

It was a small brown bear... ...about 4 inches long and filled with polyester stuffing.

Back in September she was out on a walk in the park, at the far end of her 26' extend-o-leash, and she found & snarfed down the toy bear whole faster than you can say "Don't do that!!!" And it didn't come out.

We were hopeful, years ago we had a big dumb black lab who returned from an unauthorized adventure extremely bloated and who seemed to expand more the more he drank. A week or so later the problem solved itself when he passed a nerf football.

The vets kept saying the bear had to have been digested or worked its way through her by now. But, 2.5 months of gastrointestinal distress later, Mrs S had them do a soft scan and they saw the mass plugging up the system. And operated. And extracted the remarkably intact bear.

It says a lot about Tuna that she successfully exceeded my pet surgery expense hard limit by a factor of 4x.

Tuna, her leg shaved for the IV and her belly shaved for the operations, all better now and singing the Christmas song of her people.

Last edited by sanchius on Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Dogs!
We have a 5 month Puppy...... I totally understand!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Merry Christmas Tuna and family! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Glad you got this sorted out, we need a few more years of Tuna Adventures!
This will make for a Merry Christmas!

Last edited by mtnhome on Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

You kept the bear, right?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Three cheers for Mrs. S. Here's hoping Tuna enjoys eating again.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 47 of 50

Jump to: