Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

both take lights went out same time?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

so both of my tail lights work fine, and both brake lights worked as of yesterday (swapped housing), and today they both stopped working.. any ideas what it could be?
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

jacksonp32 wrote:
so both of my tail lights work fine, and both brake lights worked as of yesterday (swapped housing), and today they both stopped working.. any ideas what it could be?

Maybe the bulbs are burned out.
Maybe the fuse blew.
Maybe the bulb holders are dirty.
Maybe a connection is loose.
Maybe a wire is broken.
Maybe a wire is shorted.
Maybe the ground is dirty.
Maybe the ground is loose.
Maybe the brake light switch is broken.
Maybe ...
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
jacksonp32 wrote:

Maybe the bulbs are burned out.
Maybe the fuse blew.
Maybe the bulb holders are dirty.
Maybe a connection is loose.
Maybe a wire is broken.
Maybe a wire is shorted.
Maybe the ground is dirty.
Maybe the ground is loose.
Maybe the brake light switch is broken.
Maybe ...

i mean considering i have led bulbs and the tail lights work, the bulbs are fine. fuse is fine, one connection loose or dirty shouldn't cause both to go bad. maybe switch or ground? i'm not sure where to look.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

Find the wiring diagram for your year beetle. You didn't say what it was so I can't really be more specific.

Keep in mind your fuses may look fine, but if they're old they may not be making a good contact in the fuse box which can cause lights to not work.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

jacksonp32 wrote:

maybe switch or ground? i'm not sure where to look.

Maybe. That's why you have to diagnose the problem, so you can figure out what went bad.

Test the switch(es), test the grounds.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

He says his tail lights still work but his brake lights dont. So it's probably not the bulb since they share the same two-filament bulb.

He doesn't mention anything else being wrong in the car, and the same fuse that powers the brake lights also powers lots of other stuff in the car. So it's probably not the fuse.

The key here is that he says he switched "housings." So, if everything was fine before, and then you swap housings and one thing doesn't work all of a sudden, it probably means the terminal for that one thing is grounding out against the new housing. Take the housing back out and bend that terminal a little bit so it (or the wire spade terminal connected to it) does not touch the housing. And yes if you are shorting one side out, the other will cease to work also.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

sb, you make an excellent point which is:

If it stopped working after you did something, then you most likely broke it when you did that something.

If you go back over your work you will likely find the problem.
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

update : i got the right side to start working again just fine after finding a grounding problem (thanks sb) but now the left side refuses to work. once again, tail light works fine, fuses are fine, and can't seem to find any grounding issues. does that lead me to believe it's a switch?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

jacksonp32 wrote:
update : i got the right side to start working again just fine after finding a grounding problem (thanks sb) but now the left side refuses to work. once again, tail light works fine, fuses are fine, and can't seem to find any grounding issues. does that lead me to believe it's a switch?

No. Both sides operate off the same switch(es.)
You could make sure it's not the bulb by swapping with the other side and see if it still does it.
But i think you still have a shorting to ground issue on that side. Unscrew the housing, make sure no part of the wire connector or tab is touching the backing plate of the housing when you screw it back in (may require bending a little more), jiggle the bulb and watch it spring to life.

1600 SP engine
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
jacksonp32 wrote:

No. Both sides operate off the same switch(es.)
You could make sure it's not the bulb by swapping with the other side and see if it still does it.
But i think you still have a shorting to ground issue on that side. Unscrew the housing, make sure no part of the wire connector or tab is touching the backing plate of the housing when you screw it back in (may require bending a little more), jiggle the bulb and watch it spring to life.

i've swapped the bulbs and nothing changed. i have the bulb working on the side that has no brake light , and it appears to be very bright, but only off of one filament. right side brake light works really well but left doesn't work at all. i've already checked multiple times for shorts and i really can't find anything that seems wrong.... i can check again tomorrow, but in the meantime do you have any other ideas?
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

Are you sure the bulb socket doesn't have any corrosion on it, either on the contact at the base of the socket, or on the terminal that the wire connector goes onto?

On the side that isn't working, does the tail light still work if you leave the wire for the brake light disconnected from the socket? Will the bulb still light if you then connect the tail light wire to the terminal for the brake light?
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

David_nc_72std wrote:
Are you sure the bulb socket doesn't have any corrosion on it, either on the contact at the base of the socket, or on the terminal that the wire connector goes onto?

On the side that isn't working, does the tail light still work if you leave the wire for the brake light disconnected from the socket? Will the bulb still light if you then connect the tail light wire to the terminal for the brake light?

yeah i made sure connections were clean... as for your second point, maybe a dumb question but which is the brake light wire vs tail light wire? all i have is the yellow wire coming through the harness + ground wire and a white wire on the other side of the bulb... sorry for my ignorance
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

jacksonp32 wrote:

i've swapped the bulbs and nothing changed. i have the bulb working on the side that has no brake light , and it appears to be very bright, but only off of one filament. right side brake light works really well but left doesn't work at all. i've already checked multiple times for shorts and i really can't find anything that seems wrong.... i can check again tomorrow, but in the meantime do you have any other ideas?

Please confirm: all your other lights on the left side EXCEPT the brake light work fine?

And swapping the bulbs you still have the same issue on the same (left) side?

And ALL your lights (including brake light) work on the right side?

If this is accurate, then either the tab on the housing for the brake light on that side is bad, or there is an issue with the solid red wire running from the plastic connector behind your left side tarboard in the engine bay, to the brake light tab in the left side light housing.

Power to the rear brake lights travels through a black/ red stripe wire from the brake switch up front, through the main harness, back into the left side of the engine bay behind the left side tarboard. At this point, it enters a plastic connector, and on this same side of the plastic connector there is another black/red stripe wire tied to it that branches off behind the firewall tarboard over to the right side to carry power to the right side brake light. That's how I know the problem lies after this left side plastic connector, because power to the right side brake light never goes through that left side connector--it splits off on the front side of it and goes over behind the right side tarboard.

Both these black/red stripe wires change to solid red wires after going through their respective connectors. That's why the wire you see attached to the brake light tab is solid red. It's possible that this solid red wire on the left side got detached somehow from the connector, but you would have to remove the left side tarboard in the engine bat to see.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

jacksonp32 wrote:

yeah i made sure connections were clean... as for your second point, maybe a dumb question but which is the brake light wire vs tail light wire? all i have is the yellow wire coming through the harness + ground wire and a white wire on the other side of the bulb... sorry for my ignorance

Ahh. Here we are.
There should be a solid red wire coming in that attaches to the brake light filament tab.
You should have four wires total attached to bulb tabs:

Solid black wire = turn signal bulb
Solid red wire = brake light filament (shared bulb with taillight)
Solid white wire = taillight filament (shared bulb with brake light)
Solid blue wire = reverse light bulb

And then a brown wire which is your ground.

There should be no yellow wire coming into the light housing. (Is it possible you are looking at the faded brown ground wire?)

There IS a yellowish looking stiff thin wire you might see in that loom, but it was just a wire used by the factory to pull the other wiring through the harness--it is non-essential and should not have a connector on it.

1600 SP engine
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

jacksonp32 wrote:
i've swapped the bulbs and nothing changed. i have the bulb working on the side that has no brake light , and it appears to be very bright, but only off of one filament. right side brake light works really well but left doesn't work at all.

The one thing that caught my attention... you said the parking light on the left side was bright. The stock parking light was a dim 5W filament while the brake was a bright 21W filament.

Since you are saying that you have swapped the bulb between left and right I'm assuming your parking light and brake light are two filaments within one bulb (two circuits within one bulb for LEDs). Some model years used four single filament bulbs in the tail lights, other years used there bulbs, one being a dual-filament. Did you ID which model year your car was?

At the bottom of the socket you should see two contacts to support a dual-filament bulb. There should also be two contacts on the bottom of the bulb. If you have a single contact on the end of one but two on the other you have the wrong bulb or wrong socket. Also, the small bayonet prongs on the bottom of the bulb are offset. This should only allow the bulb to be installed one way, but I have seen sockets that are wallowed out and allowed the bulb to be installed 180-deg out. These sockets could allow one pair of contacts to touch but not the others. Thus allowing one circuit to work, but not the other. Check the slots in the socket and the offset bayonets and make sure they are correct.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is how the wiring was BEFORE i took anything apart for the pass side, while the driver side (one not working) contains that same yellow wire and a black side tapped into a dual terminal, and on the other side was just white.

in response to whether i have the correct bulb/connections. i do. they're both the two tab, 2 bayonet.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

jacksonp32 wrote:

this is how the wiring was BEFORE i took anything apart for the pass side, while the driver side (one not working) contains that same yellow wire and a black side tapped into a dual terminal, and on the other side was just white.

in response to whether i have the correct bulb/connections. i do. they're both the two tab, 2 bayonet.

It appears someone has replaced the white factory taillight wire with the yellow wire in your photo (note the aftermarket spade connector.) All your other wires appear factory correct.

As I said in my previous post, white is for taillight filament on the dual filament bulb, red is for brake light filament (the other filament in that bulb.) This obviously is the middle bulb in the housing since it's the only one with two tab connectors.

So you have the red wire and the black wire backward in this photo. You have the red wire going to the upper mounted bulb, which is supposed to be the turn signal bulb and has the black wire routed to it. Swap those two wires (red and black) and then connect the wires on the left side the exact same way, and see how it does.

1600 SP engine
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
jacksonp32 wrote:

It appears someone has replaced the white factory taillight wire with the yellow wire in your photo (note the aftermarket spade connector.) All your other wires appear factory correct.

As I said in my previous post, white is for taillight filament on the dual filament bulb, red is for brake light filament (the other filament in that bulb.) This obviously is the middle bulb in the housing since it's the only one with two tab connectors.

So you have the red wire and the black wire backward in this photo. You have the red wire going to the upper mounted bulb, which is supposed to be the turn signal bulb and has the black wire routed to it. Swap those two wires (red and black) and then connect the wires on the left side the exact same way, and see how it does.

this wiring is how it came off of my car originally, and worked fine. the other side is the side confusing me. it has that yellow and black wire tapped onto one terminal, and a white of the other side. it isn't that way on the other tail light that works... i can try flipping the wires around later today and see if that does anything... thanks
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

This pic (not a VW light assembly) illustrates how the contacts at the bottom of the bulb connect to the brass tabs which are linked to the wiring.

You can also see how the offset bayonet prongs on the side of the bulbs lock into the slots on the side of the socket. Some sockets don't even have slots cut out, they just have grooves bent into the walls of the socket.

You want to confirm which bulb contact is the bright one (brakes) and the dim one (parking lights) and connect the wires correctly.

You need to make sure that the yellow wire has 12v while the parking light is ON, the red wire has 12v while the brake pedal is depressed and the black wire has 12v while the turn signal is ON. Then you will know which wire represents which circuit and connect them correctly.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: both take lights went out same time? Reply with quote

jacksonp32 wrote:
... the other side is the side confusing me. it has that yellow and black wire tapped onto one terminal, and a white of the other side.

Post a pic of this. It sounds "fishy". Confused

Each wire represents a separate circuit (except for the ground wire) and in many cases they go to completely separate bulbs. They should not be spliced together. The above pics of a dual filament bulb holder should be as close as they come to being together.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: