Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trying to identify this hardware
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
barrydollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Trying to identify this hardware Reply with quote

I found these while removing the interior in my 1986 Westy. The one with a screws on each end I found on the passenger side under the rear seat. The other one I found under the cabinets on the driver's side. Anyone know what they are used for?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify this harware Reply with quote

Pretty sure the one on the right is the end of one of those 'universal hammers' that has built in screwdrivers and whatnot...my kids have one!

Not sure about the other. If it's metric it's probably worth holding on to.
Sgtpepper67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify this harware Reply with quote

That one on the left, is the shorter end 3/8”? It looks like a terminal bolt for a side post battery.
barrydollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify this harware Reply with quote

Near where I found the one on the left is a "Mystery" hole on the passenger's side behind the sliding door about where the seat is. Might be coincidence, but the one on left screws into the hole.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify this harware Reply with quote

Is that the knob that the bottom of the slider door curtain attaches to? I believe the one on my '90 Westy is black plastic but the shapes are similar.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
barrydollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify this harware Reply with quote

If you have the opportunity could you send a pic?
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify this harware Reply with quote

the double threaded is a universal adapter for a radio antenna, that's my guess
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify this harware Reply with quote

Pretty sure those are for hanging an interior curtain somewhere.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify this hardware Reply with quote

Definitely not the curtain hardware I was thinking of. Does your van have an upholstered armrest just below the ashtray as pictured in the first photo below? It seems the mystery hole may be associated with the aremrest?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify this hardware Reply with quote

at a 2nd look, the double threaded one is from a camera tripod , missing the tighter , holds the camera to the base
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify this hardware Reply with quote

barrydollar wrote:
I found these while removing the interior in my 1986 Westy. The one with a screws on each end I found on the passenger side under the rear seat. The other one I found under the cabinets on the driver's side. Anyone know what they are used for?

The smaller one on the right Is an old thumbscrew for holding on a protective cover like you would find on a furnace or portable heater. Maybe a camp lantern or stove.

The bigger inner thread would screw through a hole in the sheet metal, once screwed in fully it pops through and is captured on the panel so as not to get lost. This allows the nut to spin freely as it threads into the body of the assembly.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: