Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coral red cloth for curtains
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Coral red cloth for curtains Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has a source for coral red cloth to sew some curtains for my SO-44. I know that I will never find an exact match in terms of color and structure but if anyone has a hint to some stuff that is as close as possible to the original material I would be very interested.

Alternatively I would also go for yellow cloth as it was used for example in SO-34's.

Damn, I wish I had seen Alex's production when it was available on his so-23 website.

Thanks,

Phil
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Coral red cloth for curtains Reply with quote

1950split wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has a source for coral red cloth to sew some curtains for my SO-44. I know that I will never find an exact match in terms of color and structure but if anyone has a hint to some stuff that is as close as possible to the original material I would be very interested.

Alternatively I would also go for yellow cloth as it was used for example in SO-34's.

Damn, I wish I had seen Alex's production when it was available on his so-23 website.

Thanks,

Phil

Curious as to why you are looking for red cloth? Is that what you believe came from the factory on your SO44?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Coral red cloth for curtains Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:

Curious as to why you are looking for red cloth? Is that what you believe came from the factory on your SO44?

he did mention that he had correspondence with Michael Steinke from the Westfalia Register indicating that coral red would have been correct...

My 66 SO44 did not come with red curtains, but i would trust Michael to know what he is talking about...

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Coral red cloth for curtains Reply with quote

Well yes, that's what I think it came with from factory. No picture of it though.

The bus was originally painted in L345 and not in 2 colors as it is now.

According to what I read here on the Samba, the color of curtains was different depending on the body color. So if someone knows what color Westfalia picked for a L345 bus it would be great.

I am however pretty sure that it did not come with checkered curtains (same as in so-42's) as I have a euro model with checkered cloth on the folding bed. To my understanding checkered curtains were fitted in buses that had the mustard vinyl or solid colored fabric on the folding bed.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Coral red cloth for curtains Reply with quote

Checkered fabric and curtains would not look right. If you had the checkered fabric, solid curtains would look better.

I think the SO44's have a wide variety of interiors
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Coral red cloth for curtains Reply with quote

Hi Uli,

What color were your SO44's curtains and what was the body color of the bus?

Thanks,

Phil
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Coral red cloth for curtains Reply with quote

Phil,

i don't remember, it has been 20 years or more, i had to replace them...

But i am sure mine were not red.

My bus was the same color as Nancy's Tizian Rot, Beigegrau, mustard interior

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Coral red cloth for curtains Reply with quote

1950split wrote:
Hi,

Thanks,

Phil

BBT is now offering the yellow curtain material in addition to all the Westfalia seat fabric they have been reproducing:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1420648

I just ordered some a few days ago.
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Coral red cloth for curtains Reply with quote

Hi Brandon,

Yes I have seen BBT's updated ad tonight.

Do you know if their yellow curtain fabric is an exact repro of the original material ? I could not assess it from the picture. The weawing looks too regular in comparison to the original fabric.

I would be very much interested in a close-up picture of the fabric when you have received it.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Coral red cloth for curtains Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Phil,

i don't remember, it has been 20 years or more, i had to replace them...

But i am sure mine were not red.

My bus was the same color as Nancy's Tizian Rot, Beigegrau, mustard interior

Ours is Titan Red/Beige Gray, but had a yellow FABRIC not vinyl upholstery and the original curtains were the brown/white/yellow checkered pattern.

I'd love to find another SO44 westy that had the wool fabric interior.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Coral red cloth for curtains Reply with quote

1950split wrote:
Hi Brandon,

Yes I have seen BBT's updated ad tonight.

Do you know if their yellow curtain fabric is an exact repro of the original material ? I could not assess it from the picture. The weawing looks too regular in comparison to the original fabric.

I would be very much interested in a close-up picture of the fabric when you have received it.

I only needed enough to make the cab curtains that snap in, so i'm hoping it is at least very close to original. However, I have only seen original fabric here in the gallery pictures.

I recently acquired a really nice set of curtains (minus the cab pieces) from a great member here. I think these may have been from Alex (so-23.com) but I can't say for sure.

Here are the curtains that I think were from Alex:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Edit:
I just received my order from BBT today, I'm blown away with how fast this arrived from Belgium to California! Thanks Bob!

The BBT fabric compared to the fabric from Alex (i think). BBT is on the right in the photos below:

Close up of new BBT curtain fabric:

The BBT fabric is very close in texture, color is a little more gold/yellow.

Original so-33 curtain from the gallery from member kevm for comparison. I'm guessing these were a shade of yellow when new?:

1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Coral red cloth for curtains Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Brandon !

Wow, BBT's repro looks really great Very Happy

The picture in the ad is not good enough to judge the quality of the product. Bob should add a better one.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Coral red cloth for curtains Reply with quote

oakman wrote:

Original so-33 curtain from the gallery from member kevm for comparison. I'm guessing these were a shade of yellow when new?:

This 1966 SO-42 Dormobile has original plaid cushions and the yellow curtains.
It is pretty typical of yellow curtains to fade. If you look at the curtains is person, it is pretty clear that where they have more sun, they are lighter than where the got less sun.

Evan, will you have some of this at BYOB? I'd like to check it out in person.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: