Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A pile of Splits! Kansas auction
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: A pile of Splits! Kansas auction Reply with quote

Wondering what all these will sell for. Let the discussion begin!.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2038154
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Curious as to why they're using pictures of pictures for the ad. Doesn't something this significant deserve at least actual pictures of the cars? Not just pictures of pictures? How old are these pictures? How old are these pictures of the pictures? Just seems a little ........ off.

The internet has made me cynical.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

I think that if the buyer was truly serious, you would look at them in person.
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

I guess that's the other side of it. As a serious non-buyer, I'd need more to attract my curiosity. Luckily, I don't have the time, space, or cash to worry about it.
Good luck to those going for it!
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Pictures may have been from before the shed roof collapsed Razz
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

I fixed the link:

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

yes I think it is kind of odd myself having photos of photos but I guess a serious buyer would in fact go see them in person but I think the viewing is like in a couple days he didn't really give people a lot of time to travel and look!! but I also think it's bazaar is that he only mentions the one 52 split window in the ad title but then he mentions that there is also a 51 split convertible too (no pics), and then in the photos he shows what looks to be a real Porsche Speedster and some other early BMWs possibly.... are those included in the sale???? wierd....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hoffvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Picture that was posted to the samba, last September. License plate matches. Thread went south, as there was very little info, as I recall.

And the thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=657340
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Bullshit has been called.
vwluvrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

This find is in fact real..
And the only true contact person is Jack Quaif. Another 'seller' out of Colorado Springs is claiming access and right to sell, but he does not have that connection with the owner. Jack has been dealing directly with the owners, and has been inventorying the 'stash' for them.
He is, in fact, in transit there today (03/27/17) from his shop in Clovis New Mexico, to finalize the commitments, and start to make the cars and parts available to the public.
The sale was put on hold for quite a while as attorneys got involved (need I say more?).
Now that is all cleared up.. I only wish I could just see them as they sit, before they are pulled out and sent hither and yon .
Jack has mentioned that the find has been completely documented on film (still and movies)
There are some amazing cars, and parts, true okrassa, and splits to die for. There are fords, bugs, buses, 30's model BMW's and Frazer Nash BMW.
Folks, do your due diligence before buying anything on line. Speaking from experience.

>Click< to see my stuff for sale

Last edited by vwluvrs on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Uh huh.
When some fresh pictures are posted, with like a newspaper showing the date or something, I will become more excited.
'Til then, bullshit remains called.
madworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
I fixed the link:

And now that link goes to a deleted ad.
Madworks 1980 Vanagon Westy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672496&highlight=
vwluvrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Come on over to the facebook page, and follow the adventures...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/490440831032330/

Do a search for Jack Quaif
>Click< to see my stuff for sale
madworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

vwluvrs wrote:
Come on over to the facebook page, and follow the adventures...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/490440831032330/

Do a search for Jack Quaif

Well, I would be but nobody has approved my request to join. I can't tell you for sure when I made that request but when I went to the group it showed that I already requested.
Madworks 1980 Vanagon Westy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672496&highlight=
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

If it looks like, smells like, tastes like... Laughing

Curious as to how this shakes out.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

... I have had 5 splits, in my time...

1949 = $100
1950 standard on a 1972 pan, running = $400
1950 running 25 horse, 11G = $250
6/1952, all there = $2000
1952 Zwitter, running 25 for 19 years = $2200

... now I have fond memories and enjoy my 3 ovals... Would not pay the crazy dough everyone wants these days... is just fun to look.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

I'm actually as much interested in his statement "Thousands of new oem parts" as I am the splits! Since I'm always looking for NOS parts for my 50 standard, this would be great.

Just having a source for correct rear split fenders that aren't total trash would be a gift.

Guess we'll have to sit back and wait for the parts and cars to be posted...
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

I inquired about these splits. I talked to "Jack" myself (very nice man) and to the guy who had the ad on the Samba. Neither one of them are the owners. Jack was going to send me pics and never did after two text messages. Not sure why?? The cars were owned by an 86 year old man that died. He was not married so this is an estate sale. There are some legalities that apply. The 1949 split does not have an engine (ouch), the 1952 convertible does not have an engine (ouch), the split ragtop does but not sure if it is a 25hp one? the other split ??? and there are ovals. The last guy who had the ad said there was going to be a package deal for all of the splits and ovals and parts combined. I thought that was crazy because it will leave a lot of people out. I don't want all of those cars even if I had the cash to buy the mall. I think the whole sale thing is a bit crazy like others have said. Poor info, poor pics, not enough info to even want to pay tp fly out there for me?? They will sell. I know they are expecting very high prices.
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

if they are in fact still going to be sold as a package they are not going to get a high of number as they think; plus with all the vague details and such that everyone is talking about you're not going to have the turn out or as many people being able to travel and see them in person before they are sold. you may have some interest from people doing a sealed bid without seeing the cars in person but those people are obviously going to bid low ball. I still think it's funny that the most valuable cars that they show in the pictures is obviously the Porsche Speedster but there is still no mention of that or whether or not it is included in the sale? Or even the very valuable 30's BMWs. The overall story is very intriguing, this many cars found one spot is always going to be the topic of conversation. but at the end of the day once the cars are sold and it's no longer and the hype goes out of it all you're still looking at cars that are not all that crazy rare. (based on the pics), the split rag maybe worth $30-40k, the 49 about $25-35 (based on a recent Samba sale, and if its missing the engine); the other splits maybe $20-25 each, the split cab maybe $35-50k. these numbers of course or just ballpark not knowing the exact condition of each car and how complete they each are I'm just going off what I see in the pictures. They could be much higher or lower based on condition. and I think these numbers are probably a little generous this of course does not account any extra parts or Okrasa motors, etc., etc.,or anything else. So if it was just the 4 splits, 1 being a sunroof, and the split cabriolet, i think someone will pay maybe $100k? $125k But im just guessing. The porsche is probably twice that easily....
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A pile of Splits! Reply with quote

Jack = samba user https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5792

also this profile: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182245

and this one: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58763

You can read his feedback and judge for yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: