Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto trans clunks...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Auto trans clunks... Reply with quote

85 Westy. Auto trans clunks into gear from first to second (not from second to third) and only for about 5 minutes. After the car is warmed up and has been running a while it shifts smoothly. Diagnosis?

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans clunks.. Reply with quote

could be a few things, start with the easiest.

Start by adjusting your linkage as detailed in the Bentley. I had a thunk, and this fixed it.

Do a fluid/filter change. Maybe run some Trans Tune in there for a bit before you change it out.

After that, it gets more complicated...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans clunks.. Reply with quote

Thanks. A fluid change is about the limit of what I can do. The guys who've worked on my vanagons for over ten years said they don't work on automatics. Question Question Question
Luckily, I used to have an Audi Coupe and my Audi guy says he could work on it should the occasion arise. My worry is that both these guys are very near retirement age.....as am I. My dream is to cruise (slowly) and visit as many National Parks as I can....

Whose going to service my car?
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans clunks... Reply with quote

I had the exact same symptom and it turned out to be expired transmission mounts.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto trans clunks... Reply with quote

I would take it to the Audi guy and ask him to adjust the linkage and change the fluid and filter. It's called a basic auto trans service and it's not a biggy. Tell him some guy from Idaho says the pan removal is half the time if you leave the dipstick tube on the pan, and simply remove the 10MM bolt holding the tube's upper end and then pull the pan and tube together. The threaded nut connecting the pan and tube is a perennial bitch for everyone, then leaks afterward. So leave it on, don't mess with it.

If the linkage is off, the clunk is bringing the day closer really fast that you'll need the trans removed, opened, and mucho money spent upon it. The simple adjustment may/should let the trans shift properly and stop hyperwearing itself.

While he's down there, he should just check the 2nd gear brake band to see if by chance it's locknut loosened and let the screw come out of adjustment. That is no more difficult than putting a wrench on it for 5 seconds, because it sticks out the side of the trans. If it has, the proper adjustment of it and relocking the ring takes 15 minutes - most of which will be looking up the proper torque for it before re-engaging the lock ring.

This would be money well spent. And next time I'm in Redondo, you'll have to show me your van. PS - what happened to Mrs Gooch's healthfood store?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Auto trans clunks... Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I would take it to the Audi guy and ask him to adjust the linkage and change the fluid and filter. It's called a basic auto trans service and it's not a biggy. Tell him some guy from Idaho says the pan removal is half the time if you leave the dipstick tube on the pan, and simply remove the 10MM bolt holding the tube's upper end and then pull the pan and tube together. The threaded nut connecting the pan and tube is a perennial bitch for everyone, then leaks afterward. So leave it on, don't mess with it.

If the linkage is off, the clunk is bringing the day closer really fast that you'll need the trans removed, opened, and mucho money spent upon it. The simple adjustment may/should let the trans shift properly and stop hyperwearing itself.

While he's down there, he should just check the 2nd gear brake band to see if by chance it's locknut loosened and let the screw come out of adjustment. That is no more difficult than putting a wrench on it for 5 seconds, because it sticks out the side of the trans. If it has, the proper adjustment of it and relocking the ring takes 15 minutes - most of which will be looking up the proper torque for it before re-engaging the lock ring.

This would be money well spent. And next time I'm in Redondo, you'll have to show me your van. PS - what happened to Mrs Gooch's healthfood store?

Thanks. I will probably print this out and give it to him soon. Mine is a tiico so I think I will be switching mechanics for anything drive train related. He kept saying that the conversion was great, that that particular auto trans is a great one that he actually enjoys working on. He had nothing but good things to say about the van. I plan on getting the auto trans cooler before we go on a road to trip to AZ and Utah for spring break.

Gooch's is long gone. If you haven't been there in a while you won't recognize the last block before the pier. It's pedestrian zone and it's THE scene for twenty somethings in the South Bay. All bars and eateries. You might remember Either Or Bookstore? The building's still there (thank god) but that whole block has changed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: