Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
Does anyone have pictures or a good explanation of the process of how the erco adapter housing installs onto a 091 bus trans to make it work with the type one slider rails and nose cone to install into the type 1 pan?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

It's quite simple. Completely tear down your 091 trans. Take all the gears from the gear carrier and swap them in to your new gear carrier. Adjust everything and put it back together...
A Bentley will help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

Dougy Dee wrote:
It's quite simple. Completely tear down your 091 trans. Take all the gears from the gear carrier and swap them in to your new gear carrier. Adjust everything and put it back together...
A Bentley will help.

Not quite that simple, for instance the adaptor housing uses an early t- m/s bearing, so you would have to bore it for a 002/091 bearing or use an aftermarket mainshaft, or machine the late main shaft for an early bearing. This is only one of the things you have to do.

The Bently is not going to show you the things needed to be done for this conversion.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

Rancho has a listing for an 091 housing. Are they NLA?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1177198

Hey Scott, did you ever find any more of the 6mm roll pin IRS Superdiffs?
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

mcmscott is correct. I received some pics today from Rancho. Trying to figure out how to upload them from my email now. Some clearance of the 091 case is needed.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

Mcmscott is correct about not having any info/manual on how to assemble a trans with this housing, and there are a few things other than disassembly/reassembly. Unless they are no longer available, Rancho has an Erco housing that uses a late bearing.

Early

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Late

mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Rancho has a listing for an 091 housing. Are they NLA?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1177198

Hey Scott, did you ever find any more of the 6mm roll pin IRS Superdiffs?

Sorry for not getting back to you, my "other" supplier now only has the other style

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

Hopefully Scott will add what I miss, but I have been trying to collect notes on the conversion when people talk about it.

Clearance main case
T1 Shift rails needed
1-2 rail has to be cut down
T1 Reverse parts needed (lever, eyelet, etc)
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

The Erco housing fitted to a 5 rib housing , running an eco 4.56 R&P with an old albins mainshaft . I've just about completed the mounts to fit into a '69 Ghia without cutting or welding to the frame horns . using GM gearbox mounts that can be changed without removing the engine . I can post pictures of the mounting system if people are interested .
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
I can post pictures of the mounting system if people are interested .

Yes please! Applause
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

still mocking up , I also shortened the nose cone and hockey stick by about an inch to move the box as far forward as possible . waiting for flat washers etc , also starting to fab up supports for the frame horns and fitment of oil coolers etc . It's going into a '69 Ghia with a 2.6 type 4 .
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

I'm looking into doing this conversion to my bus, currently using IRS T1 SSC trans. With the way the trans is mounted, have you figured out axle length? Are the axles equal length with the trans mounted the way you have it?

Thanks in advance!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

What length are you using now? In a Beetle torsion/suspension, a common length axle the off-roaders would use when switching to a Bus trans is 15 5/8. This would be from a stock Beetle axle of 16 1/4. Any conversion I've come across centered the diff to have equal length axles, but the bell housing on a Bus trans is offset from the centerline.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

I used 15 5/8 axles , the box is slightly off set one way to get the engine closer to centre , (it's still off set ) .

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

Casting Timmy wrote:
Hopefully Scott will add what I miss, but I have been trying to collect notes on the conversion when people talk about it.

Clearance main case
T1 Shift rails needed

A friend tells me that he drills the necessary hole in the main case to support the tail end of the 1-2 shift rod.
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Casting Timmy wrote:

Clearance main case
T1 Shift rails needed

A friend tells me that he drills the necessary hole in the main case to support the tail end of the 1-2 shift rod.

That would be the good way to do it.
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
What length are you using now? In a Beetle torsion/suspension, a common length axle the off-roaders would use when switching to a Bus trans is 15 5/8. This would be from a stock Beetle axle of 16 1/4. Any conversion I've come across centered the diff to have equal length axles, but the bell housing on a Bus trans is offset from the centerline.

Currently, I'm using the stock axles out of a '69 Bus with the T1 SSC trans. T2 CV on the outside and T1 CV on the inside. I don't have frame horns on my bus so the '69 T2 trailing arm mounts fall right where the frame horns would normally be on a stock bus torsion housing.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

Is this a Bus that would have normally had a Type 1 style swing axle trans with the gear reductions, or one that would have originally used an IRS trans? Are you using Type 1 IRS arms from a Beetle, or Type 2 arms from a later Bay Bus? The stock axles for the Bay Bus would be 18 3/4. If that's what you are currently using, you may be able to get a high performance version of them that have longer CV splines, and trim the axle to the length you need. Then you could simply cut new c-clip grooves on the ends. Other than that, you may have to cut/splice a stock axle for mock up, then have a custom set made once you have determined the length.
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Is this a Bus that would have normally had a Type 1 style swing axle trans with the gear reductions, or one that would have originally used an IRS trans?

Yes, it originally had big nut reduction boxes and swing axle trans.
Quote:

Are you using Type 1 IRS arms from a Beetle, or Type 2 arms from a later Bay Bus?

The arms are from a '69 T2 baywindow bus.

Thank you for the other info! It will come in handy.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Erco 091 trans bus to bug housing adapter Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:

still mocking up , I also shortened the nose cone and hockey stick by about an inch to move the box as far forward as possible . waiting for flat washers etc , also starting to fab up supports for the frame horns and fitment of oil coolers etc . It's going into a '69 Ghia with a 2.6 type 4 .

Really beautiful job on the Motor mounts. Any issues when romping on it (engine lift, twist, etc). The reason that I ask, is because of my experience putting a 002 in my Baja. This was way before I even knew about Forums like the Samba. I had "heard" that you could put a bus transmission in a Type 1, and keep the nose cone in the tunnel, so I decided that I would make it happen, but I wanted rubber motor mounts. I ended up spending a hours thumbing through a NAPA MM catalog, as well as a lot of fabbing and re-fabbing until I found some MM that could handle all of the different stresses. Once again, great job.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: