Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

Okay, guys... enough technical chitchat.Smile

How do you actually use and enjoy your Vanagons on the weekends? I feel like I only read stories about kids who move into their vans to travel full time and enjoy life... All well and good but I'm 40 with a house and a job and a husband and a 6 year old and a dog and a cat.

So what's the most fun you've had with your Vanagon that didn't involve quitting your job or moving into your van full time?

Post pictures!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

4 weeks and 10000kms long roadrip from Budapest (Hungary) to Nordkapp (Norway).
It was in 2014, so I must search for new adventures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

See the link in my sig line.
And our annual Key West trips....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

also in my 40's with a house/job/dog but no kid.

in season we camp with the Empire State VW camping club at a different NY State park. usually about 5-20 VWs depending on month/location.
in July we'll be not too far from you over at Sacandaga campground near Wells, NY)

since around the time my father got sick, we lost a couple other friends too early in life, I've started taking one big trip a year..

I keep a list in my cell phone notes.. else they all blend together.

in 2010 I led a group of 11 VW campers from upstate NY to Tampa and back
in 2011 took a week to see fall foliage in New Hampshire's white Mtns.
transporterfest on columbus weekend.
2012 went to Maine coast for a week stayed in Acadia and stopped in Lubec at a nice deli for lunch overlooking the canadian border
2013 a week in Tadoussac, Qc to expand my cultural horizon and see some whales in the St Lawrence.
2013 went to Tampa at christmas to visit family for the holidays
Transporterfest on columbus weekend
2014 went to Gatlinburg and the Smokey Mtns, expressed the van thru the Tail of the Dragon and followed the Blue Ridge parkway for 469mi from end to end.
long 4th of july weekend in NH white Mtns.
2015 we went to the Albquerque balloon fest and Monument valley, mesa verde and other awesome points.
1 long weekend to Coaticook, Qc for Forestra Illumina
2016 Tampa for christmas and 3 long weekend excursions 1-Austin, PA to see Elk 2- Tadoussac for the 4th of july 3- Transporterfest (VW show) in Boston on columbus weekend.
2017 planning to head to Gatlinburg, TN and smokey Mtns for spring bloom (cabin fever)
planning to go west to Glacier and Yellowstone in the fall.

needless to say I don't get much done around the house/yard
but that's neither what I want to remember doing when I'm older or be remembered for.. yeah that Dan, he kept a good lawn..

you're in a great place to explore, easy weekend trips to the Fingerlakes region, Poconos, ADKs, Vermont, Berkshires,
or longer weekends into New Hampshire (mount Washington)& Maine (Acadia).. Niagara Falls, Assateague

one thing I might also suggest you consider, travelling with a dog, is the Jalousie window mod. it's reversible for later/resale but offers a much improved ventilation and rain protection than the stock westy window&screen. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=283728

Transporterfest group camp in the "Igloo" rsvp early space is limited
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1127555.jpg

Westcott beach state park on the shore of Lake Ontario sheltered by Henderson Harbor and bath warm shallow sandy waters, the likes I've never found anywhere else.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New Hampshire Fall Foliage in the shadow of Mount Washington

Westy's at Watkins Glen on the race track
staging https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/487276.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/487274.jpg

Tail of the Dragon in the Smokey Mtns.
319 turns in 11 miles (iirc?)

Last edited by danfromsyr on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbcnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

I take at least one long trip a year with my kids ( now 14 and 11).

2013 a week in Glacier National park
2014 2 weeks to circumnavigate Vancouver Island- visited Tofino, Telegraph cove and Olympic National Park
2015 Portland to SanDiego and back up the Coast. Visited Hearst Castle and camped along Big Sur Coast
2016 2 weeks (2500 miles ) Portland to Moab & Arches, then the GrandCanyon and Bryce canyon
2016 solo trip 2500 miles Portland to the San Juan Islands then to Grand Tetons and Glacier National Park
2017 Trips planned : 1.) Portland to the Alvord Desert and Hot Springs of Southern Oregon headed out tomorrow for 5 days 2) solo trip Portland to Grand Tetons and Glacier. Planned 16 days in August

I am a solo parent age 55 with 2 kids and soon to be 2 dogs.
Chris
85 Westy/suby
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

The most fun is the last minute trips you can do, just keep all your camping stuff in the Westy, drive aimlessly up into the mountains and find a spot you can squeeze the van in. No campgrounds needed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

^^^^ THIS.

We try to camp every weekend if we are not flying out and traveling. The funnest trips are the spontaneous ones with no direction, no schedule, just the windshield to guide us.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

I just launched my last two and miss them terribly. They were all girls so they come home if I am really lonely and ask nicely and pay cash.

My Bryn Mawrtian just asked me if we are sailing the Cape again this August...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

MaineRich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

Doing summer tour with the Grateful Dead from '92-'95 in my current van.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

Finishing my H6 conversion, before rebuilding the interior (Westy), and getting the front wheels off the ground in first AND second! Shocked

Then, AFTER rebuilding the interior, just scaring the CRAP out of Random German Driver on the Autobahn, passing by at WARP 6! (220KPH) Shocked

HAHAHAHAHA.....god I loved that van!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

Living in the PNW there is an endless supply of nearby camping. I rarely make firm plans about where I'm camping. I'm on the coast every year. I'm also in the mountains regularly. I set my own work schedule so I try to block out at least 4 days in a row. I'll also camp during the week when other folks are working to avoid the crowds. I tend to avoid popular camping destinations within 1hr of the big cities. Way too crowded with seasonal glampers. So to sum it all up, I find the best camping on weekdays at unpopular or remote spots. Also friends who have private property is always fun.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu

Last edited by 61Scout on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

The most fun I've had with my current Vanagon was driving it back fro LA in '04. It's been used exclusively as a truck since then, but it was always fun to drive around town, though not on the freeway. Our EV Weekender is an absolute joy in every setting, and we're planning several family road trips in it this year...whenever this obnoxious f^#king rain stops

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

forestry roads are awesome around here. avalanches make nice clearings.

here is a fisheye

but i still think taking the engine out is pretty fun...
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
The most fun is the last minute trips you can do, just keep all your camping stuff in the Westy, drive aimlessly up into the mountains and find a spot you can squeeze the van in. No campgrounds needed.

newfisher wrote:
^^^^ THIS.

We try to camp every weekend if we are not flying out and traveling. The funnest trips are the spontaneous ones with no direction, no schedule, just the windshield to guide us.

That does sound like the way to go. This is what I envisioned when the Vanagon fever caught me. Where do you find these spots in the woods though (esp with no syncro)? I'm determined to camp this Saturday (it'll be our first time camping in the Vanagon unless you count sleeping in it on the first night). I don't want to go too far since it's just one night. A couple private campgrounds are opening nearby so if we want heat we could do an RV spot at one of those but it's not quite the spirit of what I imagine. And I do like a campfire when I"m camping so it seems that would preclude stealthing it unless I know of some private land. I did see a spot on hipcamp that might be good for that if I feel like we can sleep in near freezing temps with no heater.
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
The most fun I've had with my current Vanagon was driving it back fro LA in '04. It's been used exclusively as a truck since then, but it was always fun to drive around town, though not on the freeway. Our EV Weekender is an absolute joy in every setting, and we're planning several family road trips in it this year...whenever this obnoxious f^#king rain stops

Yup. Drove to work today just for fun since the cursed rain had finally let up. A xcountry trip would be amazing but I can't take that kind of time off anytime soon.
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
also in my 40's with a house/job/dog but no kid.

in season we camp with the Empire State VW camping club at a different NY State park. usually about 5-20 VWs depending on month/location.
in July we'll be not too far from you over at Sacandaga campground near Wells, NY)

since around the time my father got sick, we lost a couple other friends too early in life, I've started taking one big trip a year..

I keep a list in my cell phone notes.. else they all blend together.

in 2010 I led a group of 11 VW campers from upstate NY to Tampa and back
in 2011 took a week to see fall foliage in New Hampshire's white Mtns.
transporterfest on columbus weekend.
2012 went to Maine coast for a week stayed in Acadia and stopped in Lubec at a nice deli for lunch overlooking the canadian border
2013 a week in Tadoussac, Qc to expand my cultural horizon and see some whales in the St Lawrence.
2013 went to Tampa at christmas to visit family for the holidays
Transporterfest on columbus weekend
2014 went to Gatlinburg and the Smokey Mtns, expressed the van thru the Tail of the Dragon and followed the Blue Ridge parkway for 469mi from end to end.
long 4th of july weekend in NH white Mtns.
2015 we went to the Albquerque balloon fest and Monument valley, mesa verde and other awesome points.
1 long weekend to Coaticook, Qc for Forestra Illumina
2016 Tampa for christmas and 3 long weekend excursions 1-Austin, PA to see Elk 2- Tadoussac for the 4th of july 3- Transporterfest (VW show) in Boston on columbus weekend.
2017 planning to head to Gatlinburg, TN and smokey Mtns for spring bloom (cabin fever)
planning to go west to Glacier and Yellowstone in the fall.

needless to say I don't get much done around the house/yard
but that's neither what I want to remember doing when I'm older or be remembered for.. yeah that Dan, he kept a good lawn..

you're in a great place to explore, easy weekend trips to the Fingerlakes region, Poconos, ADKs, Vermont, Berkshires,
or longer weekends into New Hampshire (mount Washington)& Maine (Acadia).. Niagara Falls, Assateague

one thing I might also suggest you consider, travelling with a dog, is the Jalousie window mod. it's reversible for later/resale but offers a much improved ventilation and rain protection than the stock westy window&screen. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=283728

That Smoky Mountain trip sounds like fun. I would love to do a week long spring road trip somewhere South but I have to wait until at least June and maybe August before I can do another week off. It's just about killing me.
quattro syncro dos
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

Making a couple of kids.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

Epic month-long Westy trips are great, but most can afford to do them only occasionally, and some of the best family trips are those quick getaways. And it doesn’t have to be far or fancy: most kids (and many work-weary grownups) enjoy just going someplace new where they can bust loose a little or relax.

From Woodstock, NY it looks like you have a lot of designated forest lands on three sides of you, all within easy driving distance. I don’t know much about National Forests in NY, but here in the North and out West, most Nat. Forests allow dispersed camping, which usually entails simply driving out on an old logging road and parking someplace out of the way. It's wild, quiet, and usually free.

I suggest you do some internet searching followed by some field research Very Happy to find some spots that may be suitable. Once you’re familiar with a few favorite spots, getting there and back should be quick and easy.

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
That does sound like the way to go. This is what I envisioned when the Vanagon fever caught me. Where do you find these spots in the woods though (esp with no syncro)? I'm determined to camp this Saturday (it'll be our first time camping in the Vanagon unless you count sleeping in it on the first night). I don't want to go too far since it's just one night. A couple private campgrounds are opening nearby so if we want heat we could do an RV spot at one of those but it's not quite the spirit of what I imagine. And I do like a campfire when I"m camping so it seems that would preclude stealthing it unless I know of some private land. I did see a spot on hipcamp that might be good for that if I feel like we can sleep in near freezing temps with no heater.

Kat - isn't there a pulloff on the Taconic heading North from you? You could probably burn a fire in small self-contained grill for Smores without attracting too many NYSP Police, if its small and you have a fire extinguisher nearby. I know its not backwoods but Miss IronPots will remember the important part..

Smile
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: What's The Most Fun You've Had With Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

Definitely my trips to the Keys with my Jamaican buddy who knows how to cook fish in a dutchie Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: