Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

In an effort to be more efficient and conserve space, I'm looking to mount my flexible HQ Solar panel on top of a rooftop cargo box of some sort. Currently I only put the panel out when needed but would like a more permanent solution without sacrificing space on the roof.

I've seen others use keyboard or rifle cases as cargo boxes because they have flat tops and are usually wide enough to mount a panel to. The only problems I've found with those are:

1. They have much less storage capacity than an actual cargo box (even a small box). Right now I've got a 14 cubic ft box, which is more than I really need, but most of these cases are around 5-6ish cubic feet, which isn't much at all.

2. Most of them are almost as expensive as a regular cargo box, so it's not like I'm saving money for the smaller space.

As far as legit cargo boxes go, it seems like there may be a few that are wide enough and without a massive curve that would allow me to mount a semi flexible panel on top, but I haven't seen them in person to measure out so I'm not entirely sure. The Thule Pulse Alpine and the Yakima Skybox Lo may work, but the Yakima is so wide that it'll take up all of my roof space, which negates the purpose.

So really what I'm trying to say is, has anyone else done this before and what did you use? Also, if anyone has a roof box that they think is wide enough to mount a ~23" panel on top of, I'd like to hear what you have.
I'm open to ideas!

Thanks!
rfoubi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

I had the exact same idea, and put it into practice last fall. We usually travel with a canoe and bikes, so roof space is at a premium. Interior space is as well, and we wanted to minimize the junk we have to set up at each camp site. So i just took our trusty old school square thule box and mounted 2 x 30W Renogy panels on it. Theres room for another one when we need it but for now having 60W up there out of sight, out of mind, charging anytime we run in for groceries or whenever, is so worth it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Untitled by Robin Foubister, on Flickr

Bonus, pop the box open when in camp to face the sun and get the primo angle for the sun. Eventually I'd like to get another larger separate panel to be able to deploy into the sun if we are in the shade, and to set up nicely when camping longer term to really keep the fridge and batteries running indefinately. But for now this setup is easy, cheap, and always making power.[/img]
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

blackglasspirate wrote:
Also, if anyone has a roof box that they think is wide enough to mount a ~23" panel on top of, I'd like to hear what you have.
I'm open to ideas!

Thanks!

My Thule box is about 31" wide by 90" long, so it could easily fit a 23" wide flexible solar panel and I think the panel would flex enough to conform to the shape of the box. I have 78" bars that easily accommodate this box plus two SUP boards (one of which is 34" wide) and paddles!

The biggest issues I see are:

1. Having the flexible panel bend to conform to the box vs. being flat and angled properly at the sun will decrease efficiency of the panel dramatically.

2. Having to move your van throughout the day to optimize the efficiency of the panel. Sad

Ultimately, I decided on a Renogy portable 100W panel with 30' of cable. This allows me to set up the van at camp and move the panel throughout the day... not the van. This also allows me to park in the shade and run the panel out where there's sun. Sure it's one more thing to carry (fits pretty good in the luggage rack) and set up / break down, but I think the pros of a portable panel out weigh the cons of one affixed to my Thule box for me. Maybe a combination of one on the Thule box and a portable would be even better? Hmmmm.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

^^^ This ^^^

We use a 120W Zamp portable maybe 200 days a year and love being in the shade. The panel wire is about 12' and we use that most often, but have a 30' extension when we need it.

Panel stores beautifully behind the passenger seat, vertically. Angle to sun is so critical and a portable allows always being square to it -- or within a few degrees.

Parking in the sun to have power never made sense to us.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

rfoubi wrote:
I had the exact same idea, and put it into practice last fall. We usually travel with a canoe and bikes, so roof space is at a premium. Interior space is as well, and we wanted to minimize the junk we have to set up at each camp site. So i just took our trusty old school square thule box and mounted 2 x 30W Renogy panels on it. Theres room for another one when we need it but for now having 60W up there out of sight, out of mind, charging anytime we run in for groceries or whenever, is so worth it.

That setup looks great! I was actually looking at that same Thule box as an option if I get a different panel. My current panel would be too wide. I like the look of that box too, but there aren't any for sale in my area :/
I'm keeping an eye out though.

Quote:
The biggest issues I see are:

1. Having the flexible panel bend to conform to the box vs. being flat and angled properly at the sun will decrease efficiency of the panel dramatically.

2. Having to move your van throughout the day to optimize the efficiency of the panel. Sad

Ultimately, I decided on a Renogy portable 100W panel with 30' of cable. This allows me to set up the van at camp and move the panel throughout the day... not the van. This also allows me to park in the shade and run the panel out where there's sun. Sure it's one more thing to carry (fits pretty good in the luggage rack) and set up / break down, but I think the pros of a portable panel out weigh the cons of one affixed to my Thule box for me. Maybe a combination of one on the Thule box and a portable would be even better? Hmmmm.

You have a good point about the efficiency of the panel if it had to bend. That's why I liked the completely flat tops of the rifle or keyboard cases, just not the lack of storage :/

I also understand wanting to have a portable panel so you can park in the shade and put the panel in the sun, but honestly after living in the van full time for a year and going that route it gets to be a real drag. Especially if we're camping out in a city or populated area where I can't just put out the panel without fear of it getting stolen. At this point for our uses I feel like it would make more sense to just have it mounted so it can charge regardless of where we are (as long as that doesn't mean the shade). Or having one mounted and one portable, as you said, would be the ideal solution.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

I did a flexible panel for a couple years. It eventually failed from the elements. I now have a small one on the lid of my Thule and a large panel on the crossbars. Much better.

There have been no issues with the solid solar panel on the Thule top.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

Cool - thanks for the input!

I'm actually on my second panel from HQ Solar. The first one died after about 7 months for some unknown reason. So far the elements haven't been a problem since I only put it out when I need it, but that's something to think about for when/if I mount it up top.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
I did a flexible panel for a couple years. It eventually failed from the elements. I now have a small one on the lid of my Thule and a large panel on the crossbars. Much better.

There have been no issues with the solid solar panel on the Thule top.

1. Is is difficult to keep the Thule box open when accessing it with the weight of the solid solar panel mounted to the lid?

2. How big and how many watts is your new solid panel mounted to the Thule?

3. You mentioned you also have an additional large panel on the crossbars. Is the panel mounted on the Thule box simply not enough to keep your aux batteries topped up?
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:

1. Is is difficult to keep the Thule box open when accessing it with the weight of the solid solar panel mounted to the lid?

2. How big and how many watts is your new solid panel mounted to the Thule?

3. You mentioned you also have an additional large panel on the crossbars. Is the panel mounted on the Thule box simply not enough to keep your aux batteries topped up?

1. No the Thule box will stay open easily with this panel, it weighs 6.2 lbs.

2. Renogy 30 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel Dimensions: 13.5 x 23.8 x 1.0 Inch.

3. The 30 Watt panel is just so that I always have some power going into the house bank when the van is in the sun. I also have the "suitcase" 100w folding panel for when we are camped for an extended time, or want to park in the shade and still have solar power available. I mounted the 100w Renogy Poly panel so that the Yakima basket will still mount directly over it. It looses some power output, but I don't use the basket all that often. The rest of the time the 100w is sufficient.

I made a pigtail wire so that both panels can be plugged in, or when I don't use the Thule Box, it just plugs into the 100w panel.

Sorry for the bad photos, but I don't have any with both of them showing. I have learned to take stuff off the van if I don't need it Wink I will get some pics and update this sometime.

86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

I would design a system only with rigid panels with a little air space underneath. The flexible panels fail. Virtually every one I've seen has failed eventually. If you're going to put the time and effort into a solar setup why not make it reliable? Many companies that supplied the flexible panels early on have stopped.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

So a flexible panel can overheat and fail if there's no airspace for cooling?
Good to know.
And if curved (much) it loses efficiency. I wonder if curved to fit a 14" roof box is too much?
Curved is preferable, to minimize aerodynamic effect to the roof box. Roof box is in the full flow.
It's a pretty easy test if you can curve it while measuring the amperage (going into a hungry battery).

Found this: two hard 40w panels (14" x 31" x2) to mount 80w permanent on the roof box (13"x78" ) $55ea= $110.

I'd LIKE to have about 80w of flexible panel that fits on the 13" wide roof box. Does anyone know where to get narrow flexible panels?

And carry a remote foldable panel + cable, for those times when we're camped not intending to run the engine for "awhile".
Here's a 100w 'foldable' panel pair for $160.

Anyone have time to comment on these panels/prices? Also need opinions on the BEST schematic (or thread) for a vanagon system? I'm mainly trying to supply a TF49 12vDC electric Truckfridge. All the USB stuff and little LED lights are (I think?) 'incidental". There is sure a LOT of information to process!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:55 am; edited 8 times in total
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

I just realized I never updated this thread with what I ended up doing.

In the end I used the instructions from www.liveworkwander.com with the SKB case and a rigid Renogy panel. Not the cheapest route, but it's been working well so far!

Sodo:
As far as those panels go I have no experience there, but my aux wiring diagram is on one of these threads around here. Maybe not the best wiring method, but it's been working for me for 1.5 years of constant living-in-the-van use so I can't complain.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

I should have looked to the samba. I spent a few days looking up panels dimensions and case dimensions to find a set that I could mount on top. I could have just came straight here and the research was already done.

I ended up ordering the following:

SKB iSeries 4719-8

and
Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel (Slim Design)

Got these mounts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0183DUYE2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got these for the box to mount to the cross bars.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V8U41A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The renogy panel is backordered until the end of the week. I still have to order an aux battery but until then I can probably start laying out some wiring and finalize where I am going to place the mppt, acr, and other stuff.

In my mind, once I get the panels this shouldn't take to long for me to get them installed on the boxes. But in reality... I will post pictures in 3 years when I finish.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:

In my mind, once I get the panels this shouldn't take to long for me to get them installed on the boxes. But in reality... I will post pictures in 3 years when I finish.

oh no baby what is you doin? Post those pictures - this setup sounds awesome.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

Brandon I think 99% of the people on thesamba won't get that instagram reference lol.

Ok So I got the cases in. Put them up on the crossbars so I can mark the bar mounts so I can drill holes. The cases are 23.4lbs each so not super heavy. It makes the westy looks a little more rugged but the boxiness kind of works. I was trying to go for more function over form so I will have to see how it works out.

I think I could have gone with longer cases but that just means more gear and more weight. If I have extra space I am sure I will probably use it.

The boxes have moldings in the bottom and top that make them all stackable. The bottom ones fit just outside the crossbars with about a couple inches to spare.

The mounting brackets fit perfectly between the moldings. The mounting brackets didn't come with rubber gaskets so I haven't decided if I wanted to make some on my own or just use some silicone adhesive sealant. Any suggestions?

The cases came with 4 layers of foam. It was the same price as a case without foam. I figure I could use it for something. Plus replacement foam is pretty expensive for my pelican cases so why not.

One case will easily hold an inflatable SUP, inflatable kayak, snorkeling gear,whatever else water stuff. I am wondering if I should drill two small drain holes so I can just hose off salt, sand, dirt on the inside of the case when I come back from trips. The other case I stuff our packs, dogs packs, tents, etc. I am hoping I can fit my tools + 1 fr/r axle and a couple spare parts. If not looks like I might get at case for the luggage rack.

Renogy 100w slim panels were back ordered until the 10th but looks like they got them in early and they shipped out today. Once they get in I can get them mounted on the boxes to see how they fit. I will post pictures when I get them mounted. Still haven't decided on what battery, mppt, inverter/charger to go with so still have some time.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Brandon I think 99% of the people on thesamba won't get that instagram reference lol.

Ok So I got the cases in. Put them up on the crossbars so I can mark the bar mounts so I can drill holes. The cases are 23.4lbs each so not super heavy. It makes the westy looks a little more rugged but the boxiness kind of works. I was trying to go for more function over form so I will have to see how it works out.

Haha I'm glad you caught the reference! Sorry now just seeing this - that's a pretty awesome setup Elizer.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
elizer wrote:

Haha I'm glad you caught the reference! Sorry now just seeing this - that's a pretty awesome setup Elizer.

I have since decided not to go with this setup. In attempts to save weight I decided to go with a larger ah lithium and portable panel.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

Did the van fit in the garage prior to building the second floor?

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel mounted on roof box - ideas? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Did the van fit in the garage prior to building the second floor?

With the new shocks/springs/tire/wheel it will not fit in my garage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: