Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery Tray Question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

Our buddy here in Maine needs to have a new battery tray installed in his bus, but we don't want to mess up his nice paint job.

Is the use of something like this a good idea to get a good long term fix?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y89JC8/ref=biss_dp_t_asn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

I would not use it for that application. 5200 is great stuff for sealing small holes and seams. It dries flexible and holds pretty steadfast. I've used it on several small boats. I would just be concerned about vibration and the weight of the battery, though it is an adhesive, I don't think it was designed to bear loads.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

I don't think there is going to be any "good long term fix" that does not involve messing up that paint. Gonna have to weld.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

Didn't Jon eche_bus do that in the very beginning of his projects on that bus? He dropped in and glued a new tray without welding

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
Didn't Jon eche_bus do that in the very beginning of his projects on that bus? He dropped in and glued a new tray without welding

Yup pages 2 & 6 (at least) talk about it and what chemicals used

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

Perhaps the only non stock hack he did on that bus

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

Randy,
I had a bus project a few years ago that had a rusted out battery tray.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought a replacement tray and trimmed it down to where I could lay it over the old metal.

I sealed it in using 5200 and painted the engine bay

It came out nice

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

I'd talk to an automotive body shop supply place. They have panel bond adhesives now that are as strong as spot welds. Last time i checked, they were a bit pricey though.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

Could bolt brackets onto the frame to support the battery tray and just seal it around the body panel.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

I was able to weld in a new tray and save the paint. I trimmed the old tray( don't buy Klockerpiss) about 1/2 inch from the the edge and trimmed the new tray so that I could butt weld it in. I used a heat fence clay near the outer skin surface when welding. I used liberal amounts of muriatic acid washed out repeatedly to remove the rust that was left and treated the whole shebang with Jasco Prep and Prime, then coated with MasterSeries Silver X2 and then paint X2. That was 6 years ago. Still looks great.

My "battery box" was made from multiple layers of duct tape when I got it. Rolling Eyes

My thoughts are do it right or not at all.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

I am on year 13 of a replacement battery tray made of 3/4 exterior ply. The tray was 70% gone but the entire "rim" was still solid. Cleaned up and neutralized the rust, painted the wood and then used a couple of carriage bolts to secure.
5200 is an amazing product that will adhere anything to anything. It is also one of the messiest, sticky, nasty things I have ever used.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I bought a replacement tray and trimmed it down to where I could lay it over the old metal.

Gary, I was thinking in terms of cutting out the old to replace with new. Sure, if you have a solid lip to adhere the new tray to, then 5200 should work fine for many years. It's easy to over think things.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

small container of the 3m panel adhesive cost is not too bad. The problem is, the dispense gun costs more that the adhesive. I can borrow one from my work, so I will be trying this stuff this summer on a couple of panels.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08115-Panel-Bonding-Adhesive/dp/B000PEW4MI
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
small container of the 3m panel adhesive cost is not too bad. The problem is, the dispense gun costs more that the adhesive. I can borrow one from my work, so I will be trying this stuff this summer on a couple of panels.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08115-Panel-Bonding-Adhesive/dp/B000PEW4MI

I've used 5200 on cars and boats but never used any gun to dispense it. You basically get a tube of tooth paste for about $20
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

I used 5200 for years on boats. If you get it where you don't want it and don't notice it's gonna take a bomb to get it loose.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

I used some m3 panel bond on my bus. That stuff is strong. Check out some video's of proof. It is what ford uses to put together their aluminum f150 truck beds. That is what I would use if I were trying to save my paint job. Besides that $80 is much cheaper and easier than the $500 of body work and re-paint with blending.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

Thanks for the good advice!!

I will suggest to our buddy that we just install it using some 5200 or similar product and we just paint it all up nicey nice. It will keep his battery all nice and secure and we can get him driving down the road instead of waiting around the paintshop.

I knew someone had already been through this!!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

You'll need a die grinder with cutoff wheel to do a lot of trimming. The new one should lay down like a glove
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

I would cut out all but about a 1/4" from the edge of the old rusty panel leaving a nice "shelf" all the way around to glue the new tray on top. This way there is not a lot of area in the center where the two layers of metal could trap moisture and dirt that will lead to more rust later. You'll have to cut the folded lip off the new tray and use seam sealer around the edges to keep anything from getting between the panels.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

Where are people buying battery trays from lately? Who's the vendor to go to for the right metal as of late?

For both L & R late bay trays

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Tray Question Reply with quote

Make a battery tray using 4 or more layers of cloth and maybe some additional bracing and then tape the tray into position, running the cloth up the insides of the battery tray area, again using multiple layers of cloth. Not only will you have a rust proof battery tray, but the sides of the battery compartment will not rust either.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: