Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I guess I have little patience for noxious ads...
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: I guess I have little patience for noxious ads... Reply with quote

Lately I have noticed that if I open a new window shortly after opening a forum page (for example, opening a thread in a new window rather than just clicking on it), the PC's focus will jump back to the first window.
This messes up any typing or clicking I was doing on the new page, since when put into the older page by this behavior, causes random acts on the old page.
I suspect it's a slow-to-load ad that has some active content, and so it grabs the focus back from the new page once it loads and does it's thing.
What will these greedy fuckers think of next?
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: I guess I have little patience for noxious ads... Reply with quote

They have these things called "ad-blockers" . . .

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess I have little patience for noxious ads... Reply with quote

Yeah, but ads support the site, so I don't feel the need/desire to block them all. It's just those that misbehave (play noisy videos without warning, steal back focus after I leave the page, etc) that I hate. They don't realize that such behavior alienates those they are trying to reach.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess I have little patience for noxious ads... Reply with quote

They don't care as long as it's seen.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess I have little patience for noxious ads... Reply with quote

I have never seen what you described happen on any site ever but in general anything that violates the Google Ad rules typically gets removed quickly.
For instance there was once or twice an ad on here that starting playing sound automatically, it was removed from the ads within a day or so.

If you can tell the domain name of the advertiser, I can check and/or block it.

I appreciate people not using Ad Blockers here.
I personally use an ad blocker but not on sites that I use regularly and want to support.

Last edited by EverettB on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess I have little patience for noxious ads... Reply with quote

I've never seen any decent ad-blocker that wouldn't let you exempt a list of webpages of your own choosing. One could
block ads everywhere except on thesamba.com, for instance. I will probably do that as soon as Everett decides to stop
running all those super-obnoxious animated ads.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess I have little patience for noxious ads... Reply with quote

Thanks, Everette, you have always been quick to jump on the offenders.

The "sealing back focus" issue seems to happen more at my work computer running windows/IE, with a sometimes slow network response time, which may exacerbate the problem. I haven't noticed it at home on a Mac running Safari.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: