Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oval rear brakes
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Oval rear brakes Reply with quote

Im wanting to put on 30mm oval era rear drums onto my bug but i don't have all the parts... here is what i have :

drums
backing plates
bearing housing cover

and i can buy easily:
shoes
cylinders
springs and fitting kits etc

what i don't have is the e-brake lever and the rigid brake distance bar that sits between the shoes.
- what i need to know is whether these parts definitely need to be 'found' or whether i can use later 58-64 items?
I have 58-64 drums/parts at the moment but need to change it back to oval as I'm having some specific oval era drums 'worked' for the car..

anybody have any knowledge on this? i have looked for info but I've found myself going round in circles..
shippey87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval rear brakes Reply with quote

I have the same issue with my 57 oval. Did you find any answers? I am missing all the parts for my split case transmission brake system. All I have is the backing plates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Calvatron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval rear brakes Reply with quote

Following! I have my whole brake setup but don't have the e-brake lever either. The bar might be an easy part to make yourself. Just a rectangular piece of steel with some notches right? If you're interested I can measure mine for you.
gregwiedle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval rear brakes Reply with quote

I need these too and just found this ad on TheSamba for 1957 and earlier reproduction e-brake levers and push bars out of Finland.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2432384
http://www.restorationpanels.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Oval rear brakes Reply with quote

Smile
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval rear brakes Reply with quote

gregwiedle wrote:
I need these too and just found this ad on TheSamba for 1957 and earlier reproduction e-brake levers and push bars out of Finland.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2432384
http://www.restorationpanels.com/

No personal experience but from what I've read here Virtanen's parts are well made and fit properly. The price seems pretty reasonable too, especially compared to the price and condition of originals, IF you can find them! Laughing
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval rear brakes Reply with quote

I bought these from Mika. I had an issue with the spanner piece and had to grind it so it didn't rub the backing plate. It twisted the metal when the dimple was pressed and makes a sharp edge that is not on the factory part. Other than that, they are a good reproduction and work well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: