Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP - damage to rear crossmember
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
75transp0rter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

Joy turned to sorrow after finding a one-owner 71 Campmobile in a barn, but having to have a winch pull it out -- with the hook connected to the right rear crossmember. The bus came out, but the crossmember ripped away from the engine mount, and bent back enough to almost touch the bumper. Some damage to the exhaust system, as well. I haven't taken pictures yet, but am pretty disgusted. Does a new crossmember have to be welded in, or does it simply bolt to the engine, and then to the engine mount?

Thanks---
75T

Sorry if this post is a duplicate...
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

what is a cross member? There is nothing between the firewall and apron other than the engine and the mustache bar. The mustache bar on a 1971 hangs on two hangers. The apron is held on with 2 or 4 bolts and some screws. What part did you damage?
75transp0rter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

Thank you -- mustache bar. Yes, that is what was connected to the winch, on the right side. It tore away from the rubber mount (sparing the body side of the metal mount), and separated the exhaust. Dropped the drivetrain down a few inches, too. I guess I will need to replace the mustache bar and then figure which exhaust pieces I need.

Anyone selling a mustache bar? And an apron?

Last edited by 75transp0rter on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

Sounds to me like he broke his mustache bar

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2194319

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2124112

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2192708

It's bolted to the engine and the bus frame. There are rubber mounts on each side.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

Finding a straight apron can be tough

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2180319
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
75transp0rter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

Thanks, Aero

I think I did, too. Now to figure out what exhaust parts I've damaged.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

you will need to replace the mustache bar if it bent, both engine mounts, and if it was pulled too far maybe a trans nose mount and perhaps even the shift rod if it was tweaked. Start with two engine mounts and see how they align. The mustache bar should be straight if you put a long straight edge of piece of string pulled tight on it side to side.

LOOK where the mustache bar bolts to the case with 3 bolts and make sure no damage there but I think that will be Ok.

Last edited by SGKent on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

Probably the extractor

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2166805

unless it's stock

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1202637
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

I think my biggest fear would be that he broke the engine case
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

Hello,
You better hope you didn't crack your case when the three bolts holding the MB to the engine pulled out..... if it had an adapter plate on the oil pump for the MB, your fucked... You should check the front trany mount also..
Pictures would help to see the damage...
Oh, an a 71 only has two bolts holding the rear appron on, not four...
Oh, by the way: that was a dumb move....
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

I'm picturing a barn with a bus that has wheels buried down a few inches from years of sitting. Flat tires. Just wondering where I'd hook up the winch cable to? Maybe go all the way forward to the front beam?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
75transp0rter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

The three bolts holding the MB to the engine didn't pull out, but I will inspect the case carefully.

I didn't realize it was a stupid move. Thanks.
75transp0rter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

Aero -- that's exactly what it was. Wishing that I had paid someone to do it, would have cost about the same as the parts I have to replace (if not less!). Wondering how a pro would have done it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

75transp0rter wrote:
… Wondering how a pro would have done it.

read the owner's manual

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

75transp0rter wrote:
Aero -- that's exactly what it was. Wishing that I had paid someone to do it, would have cost about the same as the parts I have to replace (if not less!). Wondering how a pro would have done it.

A pro would have destroyed it and then had his insurance settle the claim

Chances are the tow hooks are still there? Nil.

Path to nirvana here is to jack it up out of the ground and get things rolling before you yank your Frank.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
75transp0rter wrote:

A pro would have destroyed it and then had his insurance settle the claim

Chances are the tow hooks are still there? Nil.

Path to nirvana here is to jack it up out of the ground and get things rolling before you yank your Frank.

Think it might be a Jersey technique...

It is probably one of those things where he is mumbling, I'll never do that again.... we all do things like this - well most of us anyway...
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Chances are the tow hooks are still there? Nil..

The tow hooks are built in to the bumper mounts ... so there’s 100% chance they’re there if the bumper is.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

Aren't those tow eyes welded to the bumper bracket? Two 12mm bolts into the bracket and then into the frame. Seems pretty light duty for dragging this bus out.

The hot setup would be an inflatable balloon like they lift airplanes with that have collapsed gear. Get the wheels out of the mud and then support it somehow.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

I went fully into a steep ditch in snow once and the tow guy used the come-along on mine. I was surprised how easily it took the full weight of the bus. Rusted drums are another thing though.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP - damage to rear crossmember Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
...The hot setup would be an inflatable balloon like they lift airplanes with that have collapsed gear...

Thank you for that visual. I just saw a vision of Dumbo with a giant VW herald on his forehead. He’s struggling to stay upright on a giant pink balloon, flapping his floppy ears and that little circus rat keeps getting knocked around in all the confusion.

And yes... they’re trying to back out of an old barn like a fat lady maneuvering her overloaded cart backwards in a crowded supermarket aisle.

I’ve had a particularly shitty morning, but am now feeling better because of Gary’s unintended analogy that I twisted up.

Humor: it’s good for the soul even if it takes the barroom kind to liven things up a bit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: