Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical Terminals FAQ
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Electrical Terminals FAQ Reply with quote

To link to this thread
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675638&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=electrical+terminals]Electrical Terminals FAQ[/url]

This is a FYI for those of you doing electrical work. I have added Gallery pics (seen below) showing terminals made by Amp and available from Digikey in the proper "F" terminal configuration. All of the standard 1/4" types, in various wire gauges, are shown. As a special treat, piggyback versions are also available, as well as the rare 3/16" size for voltage regulators, and the small 0.110" size. All of the non-piggyback terminals have the retaining tab which keeps them in connector housings. Also two-pin injector housings and pins are shown. The pin is universal throughout a FI harness.

All of these part numbers are available in quantity 1 (although it would be silly to buy just 1, price-wise...)

You do need the proper "F" terminal crimping tool to use these. The payback is these result in an OEM quality crimp (waaaayyy better than the terminals you buy at your local FLAPS). And if you sleeve the finished terminal with a short length of heat-shrink tubing (1/4" for 1/4" terminals, for example), then you're even better than Factory Stock!

For more info, go to the Digikey website and enter the part number. Note: these are just the most useful of the huge quantity of terminal types available.

FI and ring terminals
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

0.110, 1/4", 3/16"

Here's one (from the Gallery):

This is a front view of the 2-pin DigiKey Junior timer connector A106202-ND connector already shown. The important feature here is the release bar. Press it towards the connector body and it is released from it's mate. It's a perfect solution to those hard-to-reach connectors that are almost impossible to unplug. I use them on all of my injectors, as they tend to get unplugged periodically.

0.250" (6.35mm) Quick Connect Male 14-18 AWG Digikey p/n A27922CT-ND

0.110" (2.79mm) Quick Connect Male 17-20 AWG A107076CT-ND

"These are good for making test connectors or your own noid light, etc." Telford
2 Position Rectangular Housing Connector Plug Black 0.197" (5.00mm) A104935-ND

For the above housing.
CONN TAB CONTACT 17-20AWG JPT A107027CT-ND

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals Reply with quote

Great info. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals Reply with quote

Would you recommend a favorite crimping tool for these?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals Reply with quote

Removable dies i used in my harness and continue to use regularly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00788IUJU/ref=o...k129040-20

I have a generic (Harbor Freight) wratcheting crimper they drop into

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals Reply with quote

These are the ones I use most.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals Reply with quote

Sadly, I could not find the awesome crimping tools shown above, so I took Mayor Ratwell's advice and bought a similar ($$$) tool from Del City.
https://m.delcity.net/productsearch?search=crimp%20tool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals Reply with quote

There was a green/black ratcheting crimper sold on Amazon a few years ago with Paladin jaws; I love mine, but I can't find it at the moment. Any crimper with replaceable jaws will allow you to replace the cheap ones in a few years, or the good ones in a few lifetimes.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals Reply with quote

I want someone to hold my hand and show me the male connector to use on the diagnostic box for the small holes. (trailer wire harness)
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals Reply with quote

Thank you so much Telford for posting this. I am about to tackle every single connector on my restoration. You are a true asset to the Bus community!
gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals Reply with quote

Thanks for locating. I didn't find through the search.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals FAQ Reply with quote

t2a
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Electrical Wire Reply with quote

Electrical Wire

I'm am going to link this, so I can find it later.
Looking to buy bulk wire

Note: Metric wire was used in VW's
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals FAQ Reply with quote

A couple of additional notes on the Junior Power Timer (JPT) connectors for the FI harness, for those replacing a broken connector or making their own harness:

• You cannot use the new style connector with the release bar everywhere: the Auxiliary Air Regulator (AAR) connector needs to be original style, as otherwise the release bar hits the AAR hose to the plenum. A bit of a shame really, as it is one location which could have really benefitted from an easier release.
• Another tight spot is the Thermo Time Switch (TTS). You can in fact use the new style connector (I've done it), but the release bar ends up pointing to the case splitting line underneath the plenum. This makes it fairly awkward to push on. However, it still beats the old style connector in that location, which is nearly impossible to disconnect with a mounted plenum.
• Watch out for the style of the back of the connector. If you look at the picture below, you can use either the EV1-1 or EV1-3 style. EV1-1 is waterproof and you use some rubber boots on the terminals that are then held in place by the small trident-like lid on the back. They work perfectly fine also without the rubber boots, but they look slightly less stock as the back of the connector not covered by the big rubber boot is longer. I would have prefered tp use EV1-3, as they are stock (plus release bar upgrade), but I also wanted the connectors be color-coded. I could only find EV1-3 connectors in black, whereas there were EV1-1 connectors in green, blue, brown and black. Also, the longer EV1-1 connector works fine at the Cold Start Valve (CSV), but it makes everything a bit more cramped in that area.

Another stock connector that comes in very handy to insulate two wires connected to each other by a male/female terminal is VW 111 971 977. I've not found a source for the equivalent non-VW part, but I'm sure there is:

Also, to TCash (or any other mods): could this fine thread be added to the tech tips section? Thanks!

Decode your M-Plate
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals FAQ Reply with quote

Again, thanks for posting this information which is a great help to me as I am re-wiring my bus. I have been in search of the female terminal A27937CT-ND - for the thicker 4.0mm wire. Have searched online and couldn't find the part for love nor money... until now.

Some of my own observations - I bought a crimper on Amazon with yellow handles, these seem to be made in china and although they look the part the jaws broke in mine after 3 uses.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0743FCFZS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[url]

I have since puchased a set from a seller in Germany which have been great and did not break the bank:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001ILAG2M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also found that some of the terminal connectors are of questionable quality and are easily crushed out of shape. I found the silver finihses ones to be better than the gold/copper type.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals FAQ Reply with quote

bit of trivia: the connection made by those crimpers is known in the trade as a double buttcheek crimp. If you say this on a military base, everybody in earshot wants to make a crimp so they can say they are rated to make a double buttcheek crimp.

I made the mistake of getting double buttcheek crimp dies with a flat bottom. when you crimp with them the connector wedges in and you have to hammer a jewelers screwdriver in to drive the connector out. very not safe.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
These are the ones I use most.

Great set of crimp tools -- where did you purchase these?
sestino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals FAQ Reply with quote

Telford, thanks for posting this. Does anyone know which type of connector I should order to connect some trailer wiring through the diagnostic plug?

This posting by TCash shows that I can access tail light, lleft turn, right turn, and brake light through terminals 9-12 at the diagnostic plug.

Tcash wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8117689#8117689

I suspect the connectors I need are one of these:

telford dorr wrote:

Thanks in advance.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals FAQ Reply with quote

sestino wrote:
Does anyone know which type of connector I should order to connect some trailer wiring through the diagnostic plug?

This posting by TCash shows that I can access tail light, lleft turn, right turn, and brake light through terminals 9-12 at the diagnostic plug.

You mean a mating connector for the diagnostic plug? I wish I knew - I'd order up a couple immediately!
Back when these first appeared (1971), the machine which plugged into them was a huge monster which only dealers had. These days, such a device would fit in the palm of your hand (think: OBDII code readers), and could be Arduino based, and pretty affordable. Yeah, the amount of stuff it could check is a bit limited, but it could do a basic electrical diagnosis of stuff which cause many people grief, like turn signals. A more practical application would be a remote start / stop plugin, which would allow engine operation without having to get up and go to the cab, or crawling underneath to clip onto the starter motor.

Sounds like a great cad / 3-D printer project. ANYONE?

Quote:

I think you're right, although I haven't really inspected it that closely. The two big ones in the middle of the connector are like the terminal on a voltage regulator (3/8"), I think. Try a DigiKey p/n A107118CT-ND (10-12 AWG wire), or a A123012CT-ND (7-10 AWG wire). For the matching female connector, use A100538CT-ND (10-12 AWG wire) or A100537CT-ND (7-10 AWG wire). The A106301-ND part listed above is no longer stocked.

Did a quick tally:

Diagnostic Connector Pinout

Small pins:

1 -
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 - rear window defogger (drive sense, after relay)
6 - 12 vdc (use with 14 to measure gen/alt current)
7 - battery electrolyte probe
8 - battery "-" post (use with 17 to measure starter current)

9 - tail lights
10 - left turn (rear)
11 - right turn (rear)
12 - brake (three light models only)
13 - points signal
14 - gen/alt B+ at alternator
15 - auto trans kickdown switch
16 -
17 - body ground (use with 8 )
18 -

19 - cyl #1 plug sensor
20 - cyl #1 plug sensor
21 - TDC sensor
22 - TDC sensor
23 -
24 -

Big middle area high current pins:

"15" - ignition
"50" - starter
"+" - battery power
"31" - battery ground

If anyone knows what the unlisted pins are use for (any model), please post.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)

Last edited by telford dorr on Mon May 07, 2018 8:24 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sestino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals FAQ Reply with quote

Telford, thanks for your prompt and thorough reply.

Unfortunately, when I went out to start on this project this morning, I discovered that my diagnostic socket was removed long ago. Embarassed

The socket that I remember was in my previous bus, which I sold in 2002. I guess I'm getting old.

Without the diagnostic socket, I tapped into the tail light wires, mostly in the bundle of wires that is on the top left of the rear engine hatch.

The trailer I will be pulling is a 1970s Coleman Versa trailer with a tilt top. I will post photos in the Bays and trailers thread soon.
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Terminals FAQ Reply with quote

sestino wrote:

telford dorr wrote:

For the next person that wants to try this, the diagnostic plug on my 76 is still present and has female ends needing round pin-type holes. I didn't measure the diameter, but I'd guess the required pins would be about 4 mm in diameter. Something like this:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/66099-4/A1340-ND/19385

Those aren't the correct pins, but it illustrates what to look for.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: