Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auxiliary battery and inverter installation
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hank Montura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Auxiliary battery and inverter installation Reply with quote

Hello Again,
I am curious about how much for parts and labor would run for the auxiliary battery and inverter installation? If anybody has any recommendations for an installer in the Portland Oregon area, I would very appreciative!
tates1882
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary battery and inverter installation Reply with quote

Lots a variables to consider: battery size, inverter size, locations. I have just under $600 for parts in my setup and 8-10 hours of labor designing, sourcing and installing it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary battery and inverter installation Reply with quote

If you are considering an invertor to purchase. You'd look for one with a "pure sine wave" vs modified sine wave. They are a little more expensive. These types are better suited for laptop chargers etc.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary battery and inverter installation Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
If you are considering an invertor to purchase. You'd look for one with a "pure sine wave" vs modified sine wave. They are a little more expensive. These types are better suited for laptop chargers etc.

but if charging your laptop or phone is the goal, find a 12v laptop or usb adaptor and skip the inverter. it is a simpler and much more efficient approach.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary battery and inverter installation Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:

but if charging your laptop or phone is the goal, find a 12v laptop or usb adaptor and skip the inverter. it is a simpler and much more efficient approach.

+1. Consider why you need an inverter and if a 12v option exists.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary battery and inverter installation Reply with quote

Invertors will pull a constant parasitic drain and eventually ruin your aux battery unless you are driving it every day...

After 15 years of dealing with invertors, chargers, aux batteries, 12v refrigerators, I am thinking my years driving around in the 78 bus with a cooler was probably the best and most reliable set up I ever had.

Just a regular guy
Hank Montura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary battery and inverter installation Reply with quote

Thanks for the all the info. We do have a USB charger set up for phones and the lap top via the cigarette lighter. I am thinking that the auxiliary battery set up may be more than we need. I still have shore power and my cord ready and willing.
Thanks a lot again.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary battery and inverter installation Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with an aux battery but inverters are almost never useful these days. Most things you need have a 12v equivalent.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary battery and inverter installation Reply with quote

We only use our inverter to power up the 40" LED TV for tailgating. Other than that everything else we use has a 12V adaptor. Much better that way.....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Hank Montura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary battery and inverter installation Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. We decided to not go for the inverter at this point and look at roof racks.
Oil Phil-M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary battery and inverter installation Reply with quote

I find a converter a much more useful electronic device than an inverter. Converts the 120v shore power to 12v to run all of your purchased 12v devices, lighting and can keep the aux battery topped up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: