Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Handbrake adjustment.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

Not sure if there is a centralized thread for all things [video] repair/maintenance but just thought I'd add this here in case someone is searching this topic out.

Cheers

Link
daveswoodcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

Thank you!

Great Video

Another thing I need to do to my bug this weekend!
New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

daveswoodcraft wrote:
Thank you!

Great Video

Another thing I need to do to my bug this weekend!

Perfect! Good luck!
ricaroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

Fantastic tutorial on adjusting the hand brake...

Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Rick
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

Very good video for someone new or unfamiliar with Bug brake adjustments.

Me personally, I like to be able to efficiently stop my Bug with only the handbrake. To that end, I have a tendency to do a final adjust to the cables on the fly. I want a fairly equal pull on each rear wheel so the moving car's not dramatically pulling left or right.

When I get back I feel the drums for heat and/or jack up the rear wheels to check for any unusual drag.

Is this necessary, no, it's just my fetish.
New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

goober wrote:
Very good video for someone new or unfamiliar with Bug brake adjustments.

Me personally, I like to be able to efficiently stop my Bug with only the handbrake. To that end, I have a tendency to do a final adjust to the cables on the fly. I want a fairly equal pull on each rear wheel so the moving car's not dramatically pulling left or right.

When I get back I feel the drums for heat and/or jack up the rear wheels to check for any unusual drag.

Is this necessary, no, it's just my fetish.

First comment: yes. Exactly what I was aiming for. Perfect. Thanks!

Second comment: Again, yes. Me as well. I always like having that insurance of knowing I’ll be able to get the car to a stop should something catastrophic happen to the brake system. I agree 100%. I stress in the video about insuring that there is even stiction on the wheels at two clicks for this very reason. If it’s even there, it’ll be even when applied under heavier load (emergency). I did test that while out for my drive (making sure the car doesn’t pull to either side) and maybe should have mentioned that in the video. Oh well.

The adjustment worked perfectly. I didn’t feel for heat (not a bad idea I suppose) but did have windows down listening for rub while coasting down the driveway with engine off after my drive. Seems great.

I don’t judge if you jack the car again and check. Nothing wrong with being safe.

Cheers!
New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

ricaroo wrote:
Fantastic tutorial on adjusting the hand brake...

Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Rick

Cool!

Cheers!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

Nice video.

I like to pull the emergency boot off completely, though. The hump hides the equalizer bar, which should be perfectly horizontal when finished with adjusting.

Other than this personal preference, the video was a nice turorial.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Nice video.

I like to pull the emergency boot off completely, though. The hump hides the equalizer bar, which should be perfectly horizontal when finished with adjusting.

Other than this personal preference, the video was a nice turorial.

Tim

Cheers! Thanks!
Lemons 4 Gigi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

Awesome video! Thank you!!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

May have missed this in the presentation, after adjusting the shoes did he press the brake pedal a few times to recenter the shoes on the drums. Yes it is a minor detail but should be done.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
May have missed this in the presentation, after adjusting the shoes did he press the brake pedal a few times to recenter the shoes on the drums. Yes it is a minor detail but should be done.

Yes. Appreciate the input for sure. Don’t want to miss that.

I do mention it somewhere around the 5:45 mark I think.

And again at 9:20 ish.

Cheers!

Last edited by New2me69 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

And re-adjust after a few weeks, especially if you have new drums or new brake shoes.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to do the video ,one thing i read on bentley orange book was that on 70 to 72 is two clicks ,on later models its three clicks .
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to do the video ,one thing i read on bentley orange book was that on 70 to 72 is two clicks ,on later models its three clicks .

I do three clicks on both my 1970 and on my 1971 Super. I rarely need to adjust a handbrake; typically adjustment of rear brake shoes handles it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
68IHscout wrote:

I do three clicks on both my 1970 and on my 1971 Super. I rarely need to adjust a handbrake; typically adjustment of rear brake shoes handles it.

Just wondering if you’ve ever had to replace the brake cables.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
68IHscout wrote:

yeah i wonder what the difference would be between 70 ,72 and later for them to add the 2/3clicks .
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Cusser wrote:
68IHscout wrote:

i just did on my 74 some strands were broke on the right side cable making it hard to adjust
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbrake adjustment. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Not me. My 1970 and my 1971 are still on their factory handbrake cables, but I'm in Arizona, and had each since 1972 and 1976 respectively.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: