Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Collector insurance
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Targus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Collector insurance Reply with quote

Hey,
Anyone have any info on collector insurance?
I'm gonna put Historical plates on my Thing and was wondering where some of you got coverage.
Thanks!
Mike
nobrakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Grundy worldwide, Hagerty insurance is another good one. I was really surprised how little it costs.
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours is insured with State Farm Mutual.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
FLank_Sinatra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up a report on the BBB about Grundy Worldwide insurance. They said they have an unsatisfactory record with the BBB, so I guess that marks them out for a insurance company that I can use Sad too bad, their prices are excellent compared to the $107 a month that State farm wants for my 1968 Beetle Sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Targus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$107 a MONTH!?! That's insanity! Shocked
I have 3 cars and a HOUSE insured for less than that.
Thank's for the "heads up" on Grundy. I was considering them.
Cheers,
Mike
vw-thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my insurance through Hagerty. At the time I bought the policy, they had a satisfactory rating with the BBB. A $10,000 policy costs me $116 a year with $0 deductible for collision and comprehensive. Luckily I've never had to make a claim, but the few times I've called with questions I've never had any problems. State Farm quoted me $56 per month to insure the Thing for "blue book value". An "agreed value" policy was a staggering $97/month! I like State Farm for everything else, but the VW's will stay with Hagerty. Just my opinion, I don't work for either company.
:mrgreen:
Kris
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez - that's a great rate for a lot of coverage - especially w/comprehensive & collision! If you don't mind my asking, what kind of mileage/use stipulations (if any) do they require?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pay State Farm about 120 a YEAR. What did you declare your value at? Are you registered historic?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vw-thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To qualify for coverage, the collector car can't be used for daily driving and has to be stored in an enclosed, locked garage or carport when not in use. I kept expecting them to ask for a photo of my garage, but they never did. You also have to send them a copy of your insurance statement for your 'everyday' car to prove that the collector car won't be your daily driver. The policy I have also includes full roadside assistance and flatbed towing. It sounds great, but I'm hoping I'll never have to use it! Very Happy Their website is www.hagerty.com ...if you click on the 'collector auto insurance' tab at the top it describes their coverage and lets you get an instant quote.

Edited to answer Edgy's question: I called my State Farm agent, gave them the vehicle information and asked for a quote. The $56/mo was for 'blue book' only and cost more than the full coverage policy I have on my 1999 truck. The $97/mo quote was for a $7600 policy with a $500 deductible. I'm not registered historic. If I could get an affordable policy for the Thing through State Farm that would be my preference since we have the other cars and house insured through them already.

Kris
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours is registered "Historic" and is insured for travel for maintenance, to and from shows, and 20% pleasure use. It has collision, comprehensive and liability. The declared value is $6000. Unfortunealty I've had a claim for damage to the windows when someone broke into the Thing by prying the window back. State Farm purchased a new set minus the $50 decuctable. I also had a towing claim and the agent wrote a check. They have been very fair. I have all of my cars covered with them and since I have 2 teenage boys, they like me a lot!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: