Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'78 Westy exhaust - can I swap from US spec to EU ?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peagreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: '78 Westy exhaust - can I swap from US spec to EU ? Reply with quote

I have a question on a 1978 bay with the type 4 2L engine.
Californian import into Europe.
Full exhaust replacement -

The heater smells of exhaust if I put it on to heat - so I don't and we freeze! - so I suspect aging leaky heat exchangers. (And seals, etc).
It all looks pretty rusty down there.
The existing setup is manifold pipes into "after-burner" 180 degree curves going into the heat exchangers, out to a cat and then into the silencer. Tailpipe out on passengers side. I think this would have been stock for a US Californian vehicle.
I think I want to replace the whole lot with European exchangers and silencer. I am presuming I can just loose the cat.

A few other detalis -
The FI was stripped out by a PO. I replaced the very wobbly empi thing that the PO had put on in its place, with a pair of Dellortos.
There are no sensors any more on the cat, and no egr setup.
Bottom engine tin, which would have been specific for the US exhaust, has gone along with the thermostat - so a side effect of this is that I will replace stat with a remanufactured one - and the tin with EU tin to fit EU exhaust.

My question is whether this is the right thing to do or should I replace with US parts? And do away with the cat?

Any help would be gratefully received.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: '78 Westy exhaust - can I swap from US spec to EU ? Reply with quote

If you don't have to do a smog test then there's no reason you need the cat. The deciding factor for your swap will be the shape of the exhaust ports on the heads, if it has the 72-78 oval ones then it's no problem, the 79+ square ones will be more difficult to work with off the shelf parts on, but not impossible.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Westy exhaust - can I swap from US spec to EU ? Reply with quote

Very Happy Just did this exact thing to my Riviera

Don't know what happened there but edit turned into quote???

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!

Last edited by williamM on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Westy exhaust - can I swap from US spec to EU ? Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Very Happy Just did this exact thing to my Riviera -It had square ports- and a Cali style cat cross the valve cover and after burners- Replaced with US federal heat exchanger (79) and simple header that bolted on to the Federal heater boxes and welded a Vanagon long muffler on with tail pipe.

To get the heaters to hook to control valves- you need federal tin on the left side where the heater meets the control valve and cut the heater booster tube hole thru the tin on left side and a new skid tin (below the exhaust) drivers side..

The right side all fits.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peagreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: '78 Westy exhaust - can I swap from US spec to EU ? Reply with quote

Gentlemen?
(And Mrs Gentlemen?)
Any other views on this?

Its a 1st January 1978 cali bus and I'm pretty sure its with oval ports. Its pretty rusted up down there and I'm working my way through without sheering the studs.

I just want to know if I can strip off the whole cali exhaust and HX's and fit UK ones, ports to tail pipe. New lower engine tin of course - but the old tin is missing anyway along with the thermostat.

Anyone know where I can get a left side under-engine Tinware?

Many thanks
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Westy exhaust - can I swap from US spec to EU ? Reply with quote

Yes you can. You need a pair of heat exchangers an exhaust and tailpipe. If you use JK in the uk they have good quality stock earnst exhausts. Avoid the Jopac ones.
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Westy exhaust - can I swap from US spec to EU ? Reply with quote

That's the setup I'm ruining on my 78. Much simpler/better system imo.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

peagreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 Westy exhaust - can I swap from US spec to EU ? Reply with quote

Now that looks a lot easier..
The Cali setup looks like spaghetti junction!
Many thanks and I’ll be off to JK for the bits.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: