Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best place for rear lowering spring plates?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

So I checked out the search but couldn't find anything...What company is everyone using for rear spring plates?
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

Stock, just re-indexed.
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Stock, just re-indexed.

Doesn't that ride like crap?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

74superTN wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:
Stock, just re-indexed.

What are you trying to accomplish?
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

There is a place called Atomwerks, or something of that nature. Zingy used these, and had good service from them..(I think that's right?)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

74superTN wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:
Stock, just re-indexed.

The ride is exactly the same as if you put some zig-zag spring plates on it. Don't fall for their marketing bullshit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

I went opposite with raised plates from Atomwerks. Essentially same as lowering plates they sell/sold. I got them early on in their days. No issues, retained stock ride function without the pre-load on torsions(re-indexing).

Note: The company had gone from independent seller to Mid America selling their products. With that said, there has been a ton of drama surrounding company etc. Not going there. not sure if they are still in business and selling.

it is basically a z-plate design
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

I looked at AtomWerks website and I guess you have to call to make an order. I'm just looking to lower my rear to even out with my already installed beetle beam
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

I found a set in the classifieds and installed them on my '74. The advantage is that you can fine-tune the ride height a lot easier than messing around with re-indexing (which is what I tried initially).
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

74superTN wrote:
I looked at AtomWerks website and I guess you have to call to make an order. I'm just looking to lower my rear to even out with my already installed beetle beam

As others said the effective geometry of lowering or raising plates is the same as the stock system. Your money would be better spent on new torsion tube bushings and reindexing the bars.
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

Alright so AtomWerks looks to be out of question.....

Any other companies sell them? I just keep hearing that reindexing makes your Thing ride worse that spring plates
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

I have no affiliation with this company:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1802013
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:

Perfect, thanks!
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

74superTN wrote:
Shoyrtt wrote:

Perfect, thanks!

Are you talking about adjustable plates or those Z shaped "drop plates"?
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
74superTN wrote:
Shoyrtt wrote:

Perfect, thanks!

Are you talking about adjustable plates or those Z shaped "drop plates"?

Well I was talking about those Z shaped drop plates but it looks like those are out of the question. AtomWerks has gone out of business.... Adjustable plates and reindexing looks to be my only option
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

Ok so I lowered the rear of my Thing by adjusting splines. Is it normal for there to be no tension on the torsion bar after this?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

74superTN wrote:
Ok so I lowered the rear of my Thing by adjusting splines. Is it normal for there to be no tension on the torsion bar after this?

Not sure what you are talking about. How many splines (inner and outer) did you change it by? A few of splines one way on the outer and a few the other way on the inner will make a big difference in ride height.
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

Nevermind I'm dumb. I was talking about the preload but it's not preloaded anymore because I'm not resting on the stops.
sidemarkers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

From an IRS type 3 standpoint I recently switched to the atomwerks 3 inch drop plates. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who has driven daily for the better part of 25 years and indexed both raised and lowered with IRS. The improved ride quality and handling characteristics with the atomwerks plates vs stock plates indexing 2 splines is almost unbelievable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best place for rear lowering spring plates? Reply with quote

sidemarkers wrote:
... is almost unbelievable.

That's because there's no difference.
Any improvement is all in your mind. Or you did other changes at the same time.
The spring plate is only a connecting link between the torsion bar and the TA. The shape of this rigid connection is irrelevant.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: