Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine compartment seal
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Engine compartment seal Reply with quote

I bought engine compartment seal and installed with engine in. Problem is the lower lip that goes over engine tin won't fit, tin is too high and the lip barely goes in the rubber and won't stay. Before I bought the seal I got water pipe insulation and it works great except where close to exhaust it melts. I've read to get seal for bus that it is foam. Will it melt where close to exhaust? How does it fit. Does it seal good? Looks like the way it is made it would be wavy going around the curve. Anyone know where I can get something like that water pipe insulation that won't melt. That stuff sealed good and looked good.

Boy I would have been mad if I had pulled engine and still couldn't use the seal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine compartment seal Reply with quote

A picture would help, but my seal goes under the tin not over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine compartment seal Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
A picture would help, but my seal goes under the tin not over.

My seal also goes under the tin but over that lip that hangs down under the tin.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine compartment seal Reply with quote

Late Bus foam engine seal....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607161&highlight=bus+engine+seal
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine compartment seal Reply with quote

Sounds like you may have it in upside down....(?).
I did this on mine, and it was caught by my mechanic during dual carb tuning..

Just a thought.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine compartment seal Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine compartment seal Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:

Don't have it upside down. I have it exactly like this drawing, in fact I used a print of this out at the car. Looking at the photo, the far left part of the seal where it goes up into the engine tin is where it doesn't go far enough or tight enough to hold. It comes out and like an accordion bellows goes back against it's self where it is in the channel on the body. I have ordered the seal for a bus. Too bad the pipe insulation couldn't take the heat because it worked great and looked good.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Engine compartment seal Reply with quote

Yes, I wish the seals were wider and more rigid. I have read that some of the aftermarket seals are too narrow, but have not been able to confirm myself.
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Engine compartment seal Reply with quote

I just ordered a front seal for my Thing. I'm in the process of pulling out the old seal-what's left of it-and it sure doesn't want to come out.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine compartment seal Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
I bought engine compartment seal and installed with engine in. Problem is the lower lip that goes over engine tin won't fit, tin is too high and the lip barely goes in the rubber and won't stay. Before I bought the seal I got water pipe insulation and it works great except where close to exhaust it melts. I've read to get seal for bus that it is foam. Will it melt where close to exhaust? How does it fit. Does it seal good? Looks like the way it is made it would be wavy going around the curve. Anyone know where I can get something like that water pipe insulation that won't melt. That stuff sealed good and looked good.

Boy I would have been mad if I had pulled engine and still couldn't use the seal.

I ordered seal for bus, it came today and I got it in. It looks good and I drove it about 8 miles and the seal hasn't melted yet. The seal gets about 1" from closest J pipe. Does anyone know how close the seal would get to any part of exhaust on bus
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Engine compartment seal Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
I ordered seal for bus, it came today and I got it in. It looks good and I drove it about 8 miles and the seal hasn't melted yet. The seal gets about 1" from closest J pipe. Does anyone know how close the seal would get to any part of exhaust on bus

I don't know but searching the Type 2 threads and gallery, it doesn't look to be that close to me. It seems they last 5-8 years. So, if six years from you need another, you probably just need another.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: